When will Nat'l Parks Open?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by AK2ID, May 9, 2020.

1. AK2ID

AK2ID Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The National Parks across the country are closed or significantly restricted for travel and camping.

When will they be reopened?

Also, the National Forests also have significant restrictions. As an example, the Salmon-Challis Nat'l Forest has restricted use of all developed areas (campgrounds, boat ramps, trailheads, rest areas). When will these restrictions be lifted.

Let's post and learn from each other so we can get back to the business of riding our bikes.
  2. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Great idea for a thread. I haven't heard anything about the national parks/Forest. But I believe someone told me the PA State forest are going to open for the holiday at the end of the month. Again that is second hand news. Can't wait to get back out west before that, hopefully start west next weekend
  3. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    In before the CSM shit storm!

Bottom line is that there currently no indication that any sort of guidance is about to come out telling us as to when an how reopening will occur.
  4. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  5. Amphib

Oddometer:
    In my area, Pisgah NF was the only one closed. Cherokee, Nantahala, all were open and accessible. They were trying to limit access to the Appalachian trail and of course campgrounds and bathrooms were closed. Latest I've heard from pisgah is "soon", which is better than the original August 13 date.
    95Monster likes this.
  6. AK2ID

AK2ID Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Amphib. Encouraging.
    AndyT likes this.
  7. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Thanks for all the help. Greatly appreciated since I live in my toy hauler full-time
    95Monster likes this.
  8. musty40

musty40 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was interested in heading west doing remote camping and tying in Yellowstone or Glacier. I thought I read that the main pass through roads in the parks would remain open? Such as HWY 2 in Glacier, but not Going to the Sun Road.

Can anyone corroborate?
  9. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    News said GSMNP is back open
  10. Amphib

Oddometer:
    What's the word by you? Washington Jefferson? Anything on monongahela?
  11. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Facilities are closed in the GW&J, but dispersed camping is still good to go. State parks will open next weekend for day use only. Don’t have any info on WVa
    95Monster, Snake Oiler and Amphib like this.
  12. AK2ID

AK2ID Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is a start...

The Salmon-Challis NF will be starting to open facilities (campgrounds, boat ramps, trailheads) May 16th. Looks like the National Forests will open in stages and maybe the national parks will follow.
    95Monster, Snake Oiler and musty40 like this.
  13. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    All very good news here.
  14. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    When they reopen you'll want to be far, far away from them. Every idiot in America will be there. Just sayin.
  15. AK2ID

AK2ID Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thirsty 1, you may be right. I tend to agree with you. But, I think there may be an early window immediately after opening where people who live near by and can launch quickly will be able to visit before the masses show up. Kind of like the locals getting the first run on a powder day at the ski area.

Also, my experience in Yellowstone (as example) is that there are lots of busses full of international tourists. These tour groups will probably not be running early on. Also, much of America will be focused on rebuilding their lives and rebuilding their finances. Traveling across the country to see a National park my be low on the priority list.

I am going to continue with little outings and watch. When the Parks (Yellowstone and Glacier are closest to me) open, I will evaluate and make the call to launch or stay away.
    thirsty 1 and 95Monster like this.
  16. AK2ID

AK2ID Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just saw on the local news that Teton NP will be opening in stages starting next week. No Visitors Center, Food, Services, Campgrounds.

Teton first then Jellystone.
    Parcero likes this.
  17. flexiflyer

flexiflyer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking the same thing. The trip I had planned this year is a no go and I get the feeling the beauty parks will be overrun. Thought I might try out a few state parks here in Illinois over several small trips but the machine is in no hurry to open them up to camp. Anyone ever been to Theodore Roosevelt NP? Looks like it might be an out of the way destination that can be a reached with some good backroad riding.
    TripleTriples likes this.
  18. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    I've been to Teddy Roosevelt Nat park, camped there on a trip back from out west. Beautiful area, and worth some more exploration. I woke up to bison grazing through the campground, kinda unnerving, but they just strolled about like cows. Not sure what the area looks like in more recent times, I was there before the big nat gas fracking boom, that area is ground zero.
    flexiflyer likes this.
  19. AK2ID

AK2ID Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Parcero likes this.