1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Where are all the travelers this season?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by RDJEff, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    North Islanders .... who.... basically people from overseas in our view :rofl

Move over in the bed we are on our way, really looking forward to checking out Alaska having never been there before.

Will be getting the bikes and setting them up end of April on then on our way up, across, round then down WOHHOH :clap :D
  2. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    Three more sleeps buddy.
    Can you say AMPED
    Fite
  3. GRIZ

GRIZ COMMANDANT

Oddometer:
    DOUBLE AMPED!!!:clap
  4. mitch

mitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Give me a break, I don't leave until Monday :lol3
  5. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Bring rain gear and your Gerbing!!!!
  6. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    As I was heading to Fairbanks May 27th I met a rider from France on a well-traveled, black GL1800. He was headed back toward the South 48.

Today, parked in front of the Parks Place supermarket, was an R-GS with "Trans-Am 2011.fr" in lettering on the side bag, and a European license plate of some kind. Forgot to keep a camera in the Jeep, so no photo. Might have been from this tour: Trans-Am 2011 although their trip plan indicates they should be heading toward Yellowknife right now.

A couple came through yesterday who were just returning to Anchorage from a two week trip Outside, but as locals, they don't count.

They'll get here, give 'em time.
  7. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last big gas hike here was summer of '08 and we loaded the RT and headed to AK , knowing there would not be long lines of bumper to bumper RV all over the roads. It was HEAVEN!! WE spent so much time enjoying the AK riders and places, we did see/meet lots of bikes/bikers, we did enjoy the awesome state of Alaska so much that we are coming back.

The Canadians and Europeans are accustomed to the high gas prices as are the AK folks. Did I miss long lines of RV , do I miss long lines of RV here in the Rockies, NOT, NOT!

If there is a lack of 4-18 wheel travelers , this may be the year we should be coming back , will I be kicking myself? Hope not, but I do have some special pickles for a shop in Wasilla that I must deliver.:D

Special hello to Moose Killer, hope the healing is at or almost 120%. Chris and his leg/femur problem is really looking good , very good.

Vermin says to say 'hello' to you that know who you are !:lol3

Vaya Con Dios, gale
  8. AKtracks

AKtracks Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer:
    the RV traffic is slow this year. I'll never understand why anyone would want to sit in an RV in a WalMart parking lot. Sometimes I'll notice a RV sit there for a week or more, little porch setup next to it, and no secondary vehicle to ever be seen. :huh
  9. HayDuchessLives

HayDuchessLives Loquita

Oddometer:
    Gale,

Shoot me a PM if/when you're in the Anchorage area. I'd like to meet you and your wife. I was in CO in May and got snowed on - in Denver.:huh The Rockies sure got dumped on with snow this year and I was bummed I didn't have skis with me. I'll be in CO in July, backpacking the Four Pass Loop in the Maroon Bells area. :clap Have safe travels!

---Amy
  10. Yukoner2

Yukoner2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It has been a slow start here in Whitehorse also. I did have a Kawasaki Concours stop in for a tire today, He was on his way south, haveing done the Dempster allready.
    Hope the traffic picks up soon.
  11. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    My friend the mad German lives just down the street from you in Wanaka. I hope to make my return to there in Feb.
  12. Helltrack

Helltrack In search of ...

Oddometer:
    Just arrived in your fair state. hanging out around the Kenai Penn for a couple of days before kicking off towards Prudhoe Bay before heading to D2D. Can't wait!
  13. stickman1432

stickman1432 Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So.Cal.& St George UT-Baja-riding anywhere
    I'm leaving in two days and heading north, Jasper then D2D and then Alaska for a couple of weeks. See you all on the road and in Dawson City. :wink:
  14. AK_Troyer

AK_Troyer Not AKTroy

Oddometer:
    The least they could do is an expedition from one Wally World to another. If they want to park away their vacation, it's one less RV for us to pass.
  15. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Mate look us when ya get here, gotta bed etc if you want, you would be welcome, be cool to find out some of the lowdown on Alaska for when we get there:clap
  16. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Only our third ride to the states, but never has there been a greater need for snivel gear:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry.
  17. interiorak

interiorak Breathe now Proceed as way opens Family Compassion Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got back from the outside via cassiar and alcan . . . may 20 - june 10. Nevada Oregon Washington BC YT and AK. Saw maybe twenty five adv'ers . . . and 250 harleys ( including some harley event going just across the border in BC.) Maybe the contant rain snow wind sun and fire had something to do with it. It was a great ride . . . including seeing only one bike ( traveler on a 250cc Kawa) on the last day from Destruction Bay to Fairbanks ( it was a late in the evening ride).

No complaints from me :norton ( lotsa wildlife) . . . but the gas station people said it was the slowest starting riding season they could remember.
  18. HayDuchessLives

HayDuchessLives Loquita

Oddometer:
    Jack and I saw very few bikes on our Memorial Day Weekend trip. I wonder if that's because they heard my infamous DR was headed up that direction? :lol3 I rode to Seward yesterday and saw a couple dozen bikers and a few were loaded-down ADV types.
  19. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    They will come. Gas prices may have something to do with it. My guess is by the 15th of June the roads will be busier. If not, enjoy the place all to yourself...
  20. homeontherange

homeontherange Ochlophobiac

Oddometer:
    ...in Fairbanks. Was going to go north, but not sure my GS will start in temperatures forecast for Prudhoe...guess it's heated vest time.