Where are the best roads in Arkansas?

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by thkfast, May 13, 2010.

1. thkfast

thkfast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A couple of friends and I take one motorcycle vacation each year and it looks like we're heading to Arkansas the first week of June. The past 5 years we've traveled to TN/NC to the Smokey Mountains, US 129 Deal's Gap "The Dragon", the Blue Ridge Parkway and Shady Valley, TN "The Snake".

#1 we're looking for beautiful well-maintained curvy mountain roads, #2 places where motorcyclists meet, hang out, exchange stories, #3 roads thru scenic rolling hills and/or forests. Just looking at an atlas, NW Arkansas looks like it might have a lot to offer. We need enough suggestions to fill about 4 days of riding in the area. This will be on road only - Concours 14, Adventure 950 S and ZX-12R.

Thanks, Mike! :wink:
  2. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Just get on google maps. Look at Russellville. Then look north. Done.

My personal favorites are 123, 16, and 341 (Push Mountain Road).
  3. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    while in Arkansas, if you are not on an Interstate, then you are on a good scenic, twisty and awsome road!
  4. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
  5. DavidQ

DavidQ We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer:
  6. DavidQ

DavidQ We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer:
    When you get down close to I 40, take the time to run Hwy 309 over MT Magazine. On top on the mountain there is a lodge, cabins for rent, and primitive camping areas. You wont be disappointed. I rode 600 miles there last weekend and there is not a road I regret running, and even more that I past up that I'm sure I would feel the same way about.
  7. Navaho

Navaho Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. Bug Dr.

Bug Dr. Extroverted Loner

Oddometer:
    Hwy 374 just south of Jasper over to 123 south is one of the most scenic in AR. But, be careful when you're lookin around cuz the road twists when you're not a lookin.

Seriously, any road north and west of Russellville will be a good riding road. Hope you enjoy your visit, just don't tell anyone about our roads......we like to keep them to ourselves.
    Mike
  9. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    Yeah..Arkansas is just like your favorite whore at the cat house..it is so good that you really want to tell all your friends abt it but if you do, they will be all over it like you are and liking it just as much as you..but if you keep it to yourself, its yours and not so crowded and used! :evil
  10. soonerfan85

soonerfan85 Boomer Sooner Baby!

Oddometer:
    You might want to post this question over at arkriders.com if you're looking for more sport oriented routes. There's an ongoing discussion there about a couple of towns you'll want to avoid if you ride sporty looking bikes, Jasper or Mountainview comes to mind, due to a few idiot crotch rocket riders pissing off the natives and local LEOs. Otherwise, if you don't act up while riding they pretty much leave you alone to do your own thing.

You should ride up to Mt. Magazine, south of the Arky River, to take in the view and eat lunch at the state lodge. You could also dip down into the river valley to the town of Altus one day around lunch time and eat Swiss and German food at Wiederkehr Winery, or really good BBQ at Rivertown BBQ in Ozark. Check out the thread on Arkansas eateries stickied at the top of the Gulf States forum. Looking at the bikes you guys will be riding a midweek ride South on Hwy 7 from Russellville to Hot Springs would be memorable. There's always something going on in Hot Springs. The town of Clarksville, nice Hampton Inn and new Holiday Inn Express, makes a great home base for riding both sides of the river.

Have fun but don't tell your friends. :wink:
  11. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Watch out for Logging Trucks, they can ruin a great ride real Fast. All of NW Arkansas is good. For additional great roads head west 1 state. Texas. Or SW Oklahoma, especially Talimena Scenic Highway. 60 miles of un-interupted riding bliss. No trucks or side traffic. Great views and curvy roads.
  12. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
  13. thkfast

thkfast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Your secrets are safe with me. Thanks, Mike
  14. MSrider

MSrider Rebel with a sixfiddy

Oddometer:
    Remember, in a small town, you don't lose your wife, you just lose your turn.:wink:
  15. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    thats ok..someone has to hold the camera!