Where are your XT250's...let's see them.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MEDIC-0372, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    48000 km 95 % dirt, 2up, KTM 950 Super Enduro, not wrong, we only lubed it when on tar as the rest of the time any lube would just accumulate and make lapping past so our chain and sprocket spent most of the life dry ... and clean.

Great thing is 10 people have 10 opinions and all of them are right, pick the one that tick your boxes :D
    Unclviny likes this.
  2. Unclviny

Unclviny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Opinions are like...., everybody has one"
    I would never consider changing the chain without changing both sprockets, they are a set!!
    I have both sprockets, a D.I.D. X-ring chain and a Speedo Healer for the big gearing-change (from 15/48 to 16/56).
    Dirtrobber likes this.
  3. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Yup everybody has there own opinion. Like running your chain dry and clean as you say. "WRONG" So the inside of your chain is nice and lubed under the protection of the O ring while your dry and clean chain wears the crap out of your sprocket from lack of lube. I use a Teflon chain lube and when it dries in about 2 minutes does not collect any dirt. keeps my chains and sprockets looking pretty good. I just ticked my box.... :-)
  4. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Gezz man you and your WRONG ...seriously?? only saying our experience not saying you are wrong.

At 48000 km they are worn for sure but still living so not wrong... you need to settle down bro or you will blo a fufu valve :jack ..actually no, carry on it is entertaining.
    tlrmark likes this.
  5. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Ok, maybe the word wrong is not a good choice of words. maybe just different would be better. What's wrong for me seems to be right for you. Even if it is wrong....... hahaha :roflDo what ever works for you or ticks your box as you say. It's your chain and sprockets. I don't know about settling down ???
    I didn't think I was worked up, maybe you just to sensitive.....I don't think I have a fufu valve. :deal
  6. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    In the dirt, I suspect lube just holds the dirt on the chain increasing wear.
    On the street, lube likely helps some.
    Someone should do an actual test, 2 of the same bikes, one with chain lube and one without....
    Two Moto Kiwis likes this.
  7. Unclviny

Unclviny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I lube the part of my chain I can get to every time I get home from a ride while the chain is still hot (I use Motorex offroad chain lube). I rode vintage British bikes for years and I used conventional chains, I always had 2 chains and I did the hotplate/grease deal.
  8. Jftrav917

Jftrav917 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20180501_145846.jpg 20180514_162344.jpg Went for a ride today first good day in many for weather.
  9. zetabird

zetabird Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    riding around a bit last night in a pretty bad thunderstorm and got caught in some hail, sure makes a funny noise on your helmet. i also took a chunk straight to the recorde button on my gopro so no footage lol.
  10. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
  11. Tiger Ride

Tiger Ride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took my younger son (90#) for a spin today.

The 11-1114/225x550 springs were outstanding - soft yet firm.

The extra weight - puts the rear strut in the softer, over-center portion of travel, while dampening any acceleration as it comes back up.

Currently running 3/4" Pre-load (1-7/8" 21% sag) in front, and 1/2" Pre-load (2-1/2" 35% Street sag - sitting)/(2-1/4" 33% Race sag - on pegs) in back for my 200# all up rider weight.

Can't say enough about this ^grade.
  12. bikeneil

bikeneil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got out for some riding today, nice day to be in the woods.

118D0A1B-F2D0-4F26-9A8D-CD3212C78090.jpeg
    Huck369 and Bucho like this.
  13. zetabird

Oddometer:
    Is that the happy trails hard box racks? I thought about those to throw my wolfman enduro bags on so i can run a rotopax on the inside looks more stable than their su racks

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
  14. bikeneil

bikeneil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes they are but they were from a klx250 and I modified them, they work great, I have Givi E21 bags. I mounted the rotopax and it is very stable and completely out of the way, I can even fill it without taking it off.
  15. zetabird

Oddometer:
    Gonna look into the onea for the xt then

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
  16. BeRadTheFish

BeRadTheFish I like motorcycles.

Oddometer:
    Friends, unfortunately my time in the high desert is coming to an end. Such great riding opportunities out here! I'm headed next to the Quad Cities IA/IL area. Should I swap my D606s for my more street oriented tires or are there off road riding opportunities in Western Iowa or Eastern Illinois?
  17. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lots o flat straight gravel roads. Shinko 705s will do just wunderfully. Just try to dodge the tornadoes. They're pissy things that like to fling motorcyclists around.
    Huck369 and BeRadTheFish like this.
  18. BeRadTheFish

BeRadTheFish I like motorcycles.

Oddometer:
    Funny you mention that, I have Shinko 705s with plenty of life left on the shelf. I switched them for the D606s when I got here!
    ben2go likes this.
  19. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got about 8000 miles on my set of 705s and the rear (150/70) is getting very thin. I'm going to step up to a 170/60 per another members experience with both tires. He got a bit better wear out of the 170/60 than the 150/70. I ride the CB like a sports bike on the street and I hammer it on the tight mountain roads. I expect a shorter tire life than most people. I'm also a fat guy that carrys older heavier gear when I travel.
    Xiola_Blue likes this.
  20. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hey BeRad.... you must have a good reason for moving to such a boring part of the country :-) I was from Wi. a long time ago. Fond du Lac.
    Moved to Oregon 1986 and never looked back. Only time I go back there now is to visit family and I can't wait to get the hell out of there.
    Iowa and Ill...... hope ya like corn fields and insects, Mosquitoes , black flies, deer flies no see ums , oh, did I mention Mosquitoes...... :-) Well, you could always set up an obstacle course in some farmers corn fields weaving around corn stalks. hahahaha :-) :-)
    BeRadTheFish and Xiola_Blue like this.