1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Where are your XT250's...let's see them.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MEDIC-0372, Nov 4, 2008.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 2012 used to take like 3-4min to start and warm up on cool mornings. I drilled out the cap over the idle air adjustment screw, turned that screw a couple times, bike starts right up and carb is happy and ready to rip in 30 seconds even in 25F. Tried to find the link that i originally found that explains the process but looks like webpage has expired... I basically never drain the carb like others describe, never have a need for it I guess.
  2. Baja_Bound

Baja_Bound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I also found this on another forum. I will begin this process before changing the pilot jet.
  3. EvanJ

EvanJ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can PM me or post here if you need any help or additional info about it.
  4. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    ANOTHER nice day for a ride (aren't they all?)

This was near Clear Spring MD
    IMG_20191205_150516771.jpg
    A bit chilly though. Should have worn my ski mittens and the neck warmer that came with my First Gear riding jacket.

The probably dirt road I planned to ride was gated, so had to settle for paved back roads, but they were nice, anyway.

When filling up, on the way home, I noticed they had ethanol free gas, so got that. Nearly a dollar extra per gallon, but what the heck, it's only two gallons, and may last all winter.
  5. quickster212

quickster212 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    my new (to me) 2016 serow.

[​IMG]

first ride

[​IMG]
  6. randypower

randypower Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful! Love that you're already getting dirty.
  7. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    NICE. Something tells me that's not your first bike. Welcome to the thread.
  8. ONE2NINE

ONE2NINE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I got 8 miles in before I couldn't feel my finger tips and headed home.
  9. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Good job, and it looks like you DID have the sense to wear mittens. Maybe we're gonn'a have to give up and get heated grips, one of these days.

That area looks a lot like the last photo I posted, except for the snow : )
    ONE2NINE likes this.
  10. Dualsport Chic

Dualsport Chic Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rest well Lil’ Mo - you’ve had an amazing year. See you next Spring.
    9BCEB57B-7AAC-4162-9C74-10BD9EE32B87.jpeg
  11. quickster212

quickster212 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks guys.

i bought the bike sight unseen from a friend of mine. my first ride was also the first time to see it.

the bike and i got quite familiar with the ground pretty early in the day. :D so yes, there was some dirt involved right away.

it was pretty much a serow party... except for my friend's ktm 450 exc 6 days and a rogue kawasaki klx150, the whole group was made up of serows.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the mighty 6 days

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the new 2019 serow (red, in the foreground). supposedly with some engine upgrades (euro 5 compliant among others). i just like the cool new taillight

[​IMG]
  12. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great looking bikes!

Is that facial condition condition permanent?
    Rusty Rocket, birdy and randypower like this.
  13. DOGBRETH

DOGBRETH Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi all.
    Sorry if this has been covered. How are the XT 250s in tight woods trail riding situations, hill climbs, etc. I'm in Hatfield-McCoy trail territory>

Thanks.
  14. Baja_Bound

Oddometer:
    I have enjoyed my XT250 many times on very tight trails. I was unable to go as fast in the corners or accelerate up a steep hill I did with my old race / trail bike (CRF250R), but I had a blast.
  15. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    DogBreth, if you're planning to participate in enduro races, you'll probably be faster on a Honda CRF250, Yamaha WR250R, or KTM 350 EXC-F, or one of the larger Hondas or KTMs, but the XT250 is lighter than all but those expensive KTMs. is smaller than any of them, has a larger gas tank, better fuel mileage, and I believe it has a tighter turning radius. In short, it's great for those tight trails.
    tlrmark and Dualsport Chic like this.
  16. gallahadion

gallahadion New 2020 XT250 owner

Oddometer:
    Anyone installed performance chips on their xt250?
  17. millman84

millman84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know of any true performance chip for the xt250. Dynojet made a piggyback fuel controller for them but I don't know if they still do or not, I had trouble finding one for mine. There maybe a few universal fit options out there but most of those do more harm than good.

If you are otherwise leaving the bike stock leave the fueling alone, Yamaha did good on it.
  18. Jolly Roger 250

Jolly Roger 250 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gallahadion, click on the link to go to a write up on the XT250 mods. The only other mod that I have read about, is also drilling out a little of the stock exhaust. My unit, which is a 2013 with all of these mods (including the exhaust), was done by the previous owner. Actually, I don't know if I have the 16 tooth sprocket because I have been too lazy to remove the cover to look. But, if I don't have the 16 tooth, I will not go to the 16 tooth. Do any of these mods make a difference? I don't know. I have nothing to compare it to, since it was this way already, and I am very happy with it. Also, I am a little guy, so I have no idea how much more weight of an extra 50 lbs from a person can have an affect on the performance. Maybe others can chime in and express some information.
    https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topi...l-inj-xt250-run-well-but-they-can-run-better/
  19. Baja_Bound

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed a ride with my wife. She is 5'9" and feels very comfortable on the XT250. 2019-12-22_11-22-25.jpg 2019-12-22_11-23-08.jpg
    Skooter, fastdadio, RebelYell and 3 others like this.
  20. raffa

raffa Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello

I just bought a 2017 XT250 and can't find a skid plate that will fot around the charcoal canister. Can anyone help me with the proper way to remove the canister? Thanks, Ralph