Where are your XT250's...let's see them.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MEDIC-0372, Nov 4, 2008.

1. AdventuresofJB2

AdventuresofJB2 Dystopian Scavenger

Oddometer:
    This was near Index, Wa. It's a little coffee shop off the highway that has a ton of Bigfoot merchandise, and is where they filmed some scenes for Harry and the Hendersons apparently.
  2. AdventuresofJB2

Oddometer:
    Hit me up sometime, we're definitely down to go on a ride. Not sure how much time we'll have this season, unfortunately.
  3. sonnystile

sonnystile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_9015.JPG

I rode my GS over the Cottonwood Pass last week. They just finished paving it a couple weeks ago.

It was incredible.

I post that here because I passed an XT250 (twice) on my way up.

Twice, because I stopped for pictures (and to water the flowers) and then again when I was back on the road.
    randypower and scottydawg like this.
  4. tronket

tronket Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone running a big bore kit or a high compression piston? How's improvement?
  5. Whitel0i0lKnight

Whitel0i0lKnight Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did I see you in Game of Thrones? :D
  6. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Nope. Maybe you saw me in Lord of the Rings. One of my daughters, and one of her daughters, call me Gandalf, and re-named my bike Shadowfax.

001 XT250 with Rotopax.jpg
    Me with Shadowfax.

Actually, I haven't yet watched Game of Thrones. Maybe I will now
  7. rifraf410

rifraf410 Where's 6th gear?

Oddometer:
    I will for sure! Where do you like to explore around here?
  8. AdventuresofJB2

Oddometer:
    We're looking to check out some stuff off the mountain loop highway this spring. And we're planning a trip to Crater Lake in Oregon over the summer.
  9. Willbad1

Willbad1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some Fall colours.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. rifraf410

Oddometer:
    Is the mountain loop a day ride or a multiple day excursion? I drove up to Granite Falls for a hike, there was a lot of time on I5 that I don’t know how the XT would handle :)
  11. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    XT250s are fine on the Interstates. Just pull in behind somebody going 65 mph, or 60 if that's your preference, and enjoy.

Then again, I'd feel nervous riding one of those Interstates in the northern mid-west with 80 mph speed limits, but we're fine elsewhere.
  12. AdventuresofJB2

Oddometer:
    It's around 200 miles for us, but we never take I5. We are ideally looking to camp up there somewhere and take our time, especially since we will have the dog on my bike too.
  13. rifraf410

Oddometer:
    What tires do you use? I had some scary moments on the DC beltway with the stock rubber.
  14. zetabird

zetabird Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So far almost 2k miles on the stock tires and i dont like them much at all
  15. AdventuresofJB2

Oddometer:
    I've used a lot of different tires on these bikes from all sorts of brands. My personal favorite setup is a Heidenau K60 Scout 130/80-18 in the rear (I put over 9K miles on my last one), and a Pirelli MT21 in the front. Also, the wider rear tire seems to fix the inaccurate speedometer issue as well. A good alternative to the K60 Scout is the Mitas E-07 - 130/80-18.
    zetabird likes this.
  16. Willbad1

Willbad1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does the Mitas 140/80-18 fit the bike?
  17. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I found a larger tire improved the ride a lot also, lower pressure and more tire took some of the edge off sharp bumps.
    I liked the traction as well, no downside that I could tell...
  18. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    The only challenge I had with the OEM tires was in deep gravel, mud, or sand. I did ride on the DC Beltway, but only once. Have ridden on lots of other Interstates, too. My next tires were oversize Michelin T63s. I liked them fine, but they felt a little bouncy, due to the extra un-damped spring effect. I hoped to improve my abilities in deep sand, but they wore out before I got around to doing the south part of the SEAT, where they might have helped. Now I've gone back to Trailwings that are just slightly different size than the OEM Trailwings, but like them a bit less than the originals.

The only weird experience I've had with tires, was when my dealer reduced the pressure from 28 psi to 20, after 7,000 miles. I got some steering wobble on the highway, but it went away when I put the pressure back up to 28. I figure I'd worn down the center of the tire, so at low pressure an outer edge would take more of the drag, and cause it to turn a bit that way. Then the other side would catch, turning it back, etc.
  19. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I thought the stock back tire was quite good at traction, the front was not!
  20. millman84

millman84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got my xt used, but it only had a little over 300mi on it so I would think it still had the stock tires on it.

Those tires were trying to kill me.

If I even just brushed the rear brake it would lock up and go sideways. Never would it skid in a strait line, always slide sideways. More than once I ended up next to the car in front of me at a stoplight because I could not get it to stop in time. It got a lot worse in the rain.

I put some T63s on it and all the problems went away. The T63s did good in deep sand when new. Not as good when worn down.
    randypower likes this.