Where are your XT250's...let's see them.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MEDIC-0372, Nov 4, 2008.

1. bikeneil

bikeneil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking at their website it looks like the National Cycle Street Shield EX. It gives good wind protection without dirty air for me. Airflow is always different for rider size and helmets though. I used it on a DR650 and now my second XT250.
  2. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had a good experience with a lithium battery for the bike? Debating whether to go OEM again or get something lighter, but I want reliability.
  3. Dualsport Chic

Dualsport Chic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I installled a Shorai Lithium battery in my RX3, not my XT250, but it was trouble free for 2+ years until I sold the bike and I believe its still going strong for the guy I sold it to almost a year later.
    Rusty Rocket and twinrider like this.
  4. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They kinda don't work so well in the cold, like below ~26ish Fahrenheit. Other than that, I've had two, one I left the ignition on for 3 days and killed it after probably 3 years of use, the other is less than a year old. First one was from Alienmotion, the second from Antigravity.
  5. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    I wasn't happy with my OEM battery. It failed on me after less than a year, while on an adventure days from home. I replaced it with an inexpensive battery from an auto supply store, and that one's been going fine ever since, for nearly five years.
    Rusty Rocket likes this.
  6. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    While my XT battery has yet to need replacement, my other bikes got Walmart batteries and they lasted as long as I owned the bikes.
    Rusty Rocket likes this.
  7. Jolly Roger 250

Jolly Roger 250 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is great. It was worth it to me to replace it when it broke.
  8. rifraf410

rifraf410 Where's 6th gear?

Oddometer:
    +1 for the Shoria battery. I installed one in my 2014 and love it. I unfortunately dont ride as much as i used to so the bike sometimes sits for a two or three months between usage and it fires up immediately every time. I dont think i will every buy a non lithium battery again.
    twinrider likes this.
  9. svo_jon

svo_jon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just finished reading this entire thread. the xt is on my short list...

Thanks
    Jonathan
  10. Jolly Roger 250

Jolly Roger 250 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All 474 pages?
  11. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Now read the XT225 thread

Edit: Only 762 pages
  12. randypower

randypower Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's what I was thinking. If he did read all the posts then he's already bought an XT in his mind. A great decision
  13. Dualsport Chic

Dualsport Chic Long timer

Oddometer:
    If anyone's wondering whether the XT250 is a good choice for a long ADV trip - here's your answer (NEBDR development expedition/filming):

Good job Lil' Mo!
    NEBDR Bascom Lodge Sept 2019.PNG
    Skooter, 8lives, Willbad1 and 4 others like this.
  14. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    If you're serious about offroad riding and weigh more than 150 lbs you will want to add Cogent suspension front/rear. Night and day difference when the going gets rough.
    KFhunter likes this.
  15. birdy

birdy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If your serious about a new xt, get em while you can. Supposedly ,Yamaha Corp has discontinued the xt . 2020 is the last year for the Serow, I assume that means US also?

https://www.motopinas.com/.../yamaha-ends-xt250-run-with-the-2020-serow -final-edition.html
  16. mnuttall87

mnuttall87 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Makes me wonder if anything is coming next or if this is it, they're going to start the push for electrics.

17. svo_jon

svo_jon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, all 474 pages.... took some time! my only real hang up is highway performance. I have a honda rebel with very similar engine performance numbers and it struggles at highway speeds. I weigh about 200lbs in riding gear. I'm concerned it will be WOT to do 65 to 70 with no reserve to pass or do evasive maneuvers.
    Jolly Roger 250 and randypower like this.
  18. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My speedometer is off by 8 mph, so yes it struggles to go 65-70 actual miles per hour. I live at 4300’ elevation so your results may differ slightly.
    randypower likes this.
  19. randypower

randypower Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If performance above 65-70 is a requirement for you, then the XT isn't the right bike. You'll never have any headroom to pass from that speed.

As much as i love it overall, this limitation can be frustrating when I'm slowing down other people on the road, especially fellow riders when I'm riding in a group. I can't expect it to be what it isn't, but it doesn't stop me from wishing.

This Summer, I intend to do most of the CDR on the XT, then ride home across New Mexico and Texas. It's a trade-off to have a fitting bike for the majority of the ride and accept a less-than-ideal ride home for the last leg. I'll take the scenic route.

Only you can make that decision about how important highway speeds are to you.
    Elektrix, Jolly Roger 250 and nvklr like this.
  20. svo_jon

svo_jon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    3800 hear