Where are your XT250's...let's see them.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MEDIC-0372, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    This is a nice write but I find something like this totally un nesasary . Why go to all the bother when all you have to do is just loosen the axil nut and move the cams to adjust the chain. Why do you want to have to turn the whole axil just to tighten the chain? As far not needing a 22mm wrench goes I carry a lot of tools with me so one more small wrench really doesn't matter. Nice explanation on how you did this though. :-)
  2. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Cyclepath, I like Halifax's idea. Sometimes I need to find something to pound with, in order to rotate the spiral cam, so being able to do it with a screwdriver seems like a nice idea, especially on the left side, where you might want to pull the chain tighter. I also like the idea of turning the axle around, because getting the wrench away from the chain and pillion pegs, when you're stomping on it to loosen the nut, seems nice as well.
    tlrmark likes this.
  3. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:

KISS indeed.

Leave everything in place as is, a bit of a thorough clean with some acetone and a couple of quick and meaty tacks with a TIG at 10o'clock and 3o'clock.
    2mins for the job, rest of the time for the beer.
    (I think I learned that from a Kiwi from the South Island , wink)
    No, it doesn't melt the dustseals nor boil the grease in the wheel bearings :-)
    And yes, junk the 22mm

nb, obviously the battery was unhooked at the time....installing heated grips at the same time
  4. Baja_Bound

Baja_Bound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would like to replace my stock foot pegs (2009 XT250) with something a little hardier so I ordered from http://www.dmospecialties.com/

I read good reviews on this thread but hadn't seen much info in a while (or missed it). They should arrive in a few days.

Anything advice or something I should know before installation?

Thanks in advance!
  5. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    I put them on my 2017 XT. They are solid and simple. Installation took 5 mins. No advice etc. needed.
    glitch_oz likes this.
  6. Baja_Bound

Oddometer:
    Excellent, thanks!
    flei likes this.
  7. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    You want to stomp on the sidestand side of the bike. Because doing it on the other side compresses the suspension and rotates the bike off the stand. Not nice when the bike throws itself at the ground on rebound. Or the stand flicks up when it is unweighted.

DAMHIK.
    Cyclepath and randypower like this.
  8. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    I did consider that, but I'm more concerned about the ignition computer etc than the battery. I figured the risk was near zero if the welding was done to the axle when the rest of the bike was on the other side of the room.

I probably did have a beer while I was putting it back together... So at least I got step 2 correct!
    Cyclepath and tlrmark like this.
  9. Baja_Bound

Oddometer:
    My 2009 XT250 is always hard to start on cold mornings. The engine and carburetor are stock. Typically, the starter will turn over until the battery dies. Pretty sure the battery is fine and it is kept on a battery tender. On warm days or when the bike is already warm (riding on cold days), it fires right up. The choke is always needed for starting unless the bike has been running. I live in South Texas so cold isn't a problem very often. We are about 650 feet above sea level.

Is this a common problem or are there any changes suggested? (I have done a few searches but the responses have been old gas, clogged jets, etc but I really do not think this is it)

Thanks in advance!
  10. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Remember the battery isn't as strong when cold, and maybe the spark plug and/or spark plug wire are getting a bit old.

My nearly new John Deere zero turn radius lawn tractor seems to have more problems starting in the winter, too, and my little 1000 watt 2-stroke generator even more so. When they're stubborn, I use a little Sea Foam spray. My dad used to use spay ether, and there are lots of other starting fluids you could try.

I'm SO glad my XT is a newer model, with fuel injection. It starts right up in the winter, with maybe a LITTLE extra cranking. I do put it in neutral, to prevent that little extra drag through the cold clutch plates. It definitely makes a difference.
  11. Baja_Bound

Oddometer:
    Absolutely. I forgot to mention that when this happens, I do spray a little a little STARTING FLUID (ether) in the spark plug hole to get it started. It will burn the fluid (be running for 1-2 seconds) and then stop. It takes 2-3 three times and the carburetor becomes warm enough for a start without the ether.

The plug is fairly new (and color looks good) but I may trade it out for a new one to experiment.

Would these type of cold starts be eliminated with fuel injection? I am familiar with how FI works, but I assume it still needs to be warm enough in there to keep the combustion going.
  12. Blumtnman

Blumtnman Rider

Oddometer:
    I live in the Blue Mountains of Australia at 1000 Metres, I've started my 2018 efi XT in temperatures below freezing. It might take one or two exrta cranks of the starter, but never a problem!
  13. EWCMR2

EWCMR2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As long as it’s mechanically solid - it’s either Air, Fuel or Spark.
    If it normally starts and runs it’s probably not clogged fuel filter, air intake or exhaust.
    Next time it doesn’t start, pull the plug and see if it’s got spark.
    If it has spark you need to look into fuel supply - most likely pilot jet.
  14. HunterSon

HunterSon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I used DRC pegs from a Serow 250 pm my 2016. Perfect fit. See post #266
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/yama...o-modifications.1341366/page-14#post-37752290
  15. Baja_Bound

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Ordered it online for about $20 from Amazon. I will try it on bith my XT250 and KLR650 to see if it helps this sensitive butt. :1drink

[​IMG]

Thanks. It has all three, and starts right up when warm outside. This carburetor has never liked the cold, and didn't know if it was jetted lean from the factory.

Thanks. I just received the DMO Specialties. I haven't installed them but are twice the size of OEM and made very robust.

[​IMG]

And since I am already sharing photos, here is the XT250 sitting along side the rest of the bikes in the stable. I can't explain why, but once you have been on a motorcycle, or worked with your hands fixing a motorcycle, it gets in your blood and feels so right.

[​IMG]
    TheHeretic and randypower like this.
  16. ONE2NINE

ONE2NINE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Chilly ride yesterday. Seasonal roads here in NY are still rideable with a little slower speeds.
  17. GEORGE K

GEORGE K Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a 2008 XT250 that had similar starting issues. The solution was to run the carb dry when done riding for the day by turning off the supply at the petcock. Then before the next start turn the gas back on at the petcock and give it a half a minute or so to refill the bowl. The volatiles seem to evaporate in the carb after a day or two and the technique I used always worked. I now have a 2014 XT250. The FI is an awesome improvement over the carb, throttle response is instant and always very smooth.
  18. fastdadio

fastdadio Still gettin faster

Oddometer:
    Replace your pilot jet with one size larger. Spray starting fluid in the air box, not into the cylinder. And follow the advice of draining the float bowl between rides. I simply turn my gas off just before I get home and try to time it so I run out of gas right when I get in the garage. Try to find a local gas station that sells alcohol free fuel. It makes a big difference.
    https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=TX
  19. MEDIC-0372

MEDIC-0372 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In cold weather I always turn the fuel off and run it till it dies and also use better fuel and treat the fuel.
    If I do not do what was just stated it will not start in cold weather but I have never had an issue when I do as stated.
  20. GEORGE K

GEORGE K Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, I also did it all the same way as you with excellent results. Non ethanol gas for anything with a carb in my garage and my 2 bikes with FI get it too.