Where are your XT250's...let's see them.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MEDIC-0372, Nov 4, 2008.

1. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    That's accurate. If you want better highway performance, get a W250R. Of course, the bottom end won't be as good. But you can change the gearing.
  2. svo_jon

svo_jon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks randy power. I have a fun short distance single track bike that doesn't hold up anyone. my next bike will be for riding longer distances to trails with others. the rest of my group are on dr650s and I think I would be holding them up on the highway for sure.
    randypower likes this.
  3. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Just my $0.02 but I would rather have a bike that's slower on the highway but lighter and more capable offroad than the reverse. The guys on the DR650s would be holding me up on the trails so we'd be even.

Or you can get a KTM500 EXC and have the best of both worlds.

4. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Its a shame the next jump up is a 650 and not a 350 or 400 from the Japanese.
    All future bikes will be water cooled and top heavy, with huge exhausts and abs.

A 4 valve air cooled 350cc bike with a 6 speed trans would be nice, like the DR350 was...

As it is, you can just NOT pass at 65-70 mph on the XT, why pass, draft and save gas and wind blast.
    Many people ride slow bikes across the country and around the world.
    As a rider of many slow bikes, I have NEVER found I needed power or speed to get me out of trouble.
    More like it gets me into trouble, getting up to speed quick can get you in trouble quick, and not just with the law.

Not many good dual sports are going to be nice at 85 mph on the interstate. That will just wear down good tires.
  5. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    jon, I weigh about 240 pounds, these days, and the only times I've felt I was holding someone up on the highway have been when riding with larger bikes. I've done a good deal of riding on Interstates, and try to find something going about 65 mph to follow, and keep myself from pushing up closer to 70. Returning east, after riding the TAT, I expected to hold up traffic a bit, going over the Rockies on I-70, but that didn't turn out to be the case. Most trucks and many cars were going no faster than I was (down around 55 to 60).

I don't feel I need to be able to accelerate to get out of trouble when going at the speed limit, and the only dual-sport group I've ridden with had other small engine bikes (it's leader also rides an XT250, but loves to ride WOT), so there are very few times when I wish I could go faster.

One thing I think bothers many XT riders, is when you've been on the trails for hours, then hit the highway to go home. At first, it feels like the engine is over-revving, because it was spinning more slowly on the trails, but after an hour or so, it seems normal again, and that engine seems to be able to take it, just fine.
    Dualsport Chic and randypower like this.
  6. Dualsport Chic

Dualsport Chic Long timer

Oddometer:
    WOT - :lol3
    CloudSplitter likes this.
  7. Mrkrss1

Mrkrss1 n00b

Oddometer:
  8. bikeneil

bikeneil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A nice day for riding for February in Ohio. 40A1813F-33A7-4E3E-BF42-6DAD995F974B.jpeg
    Skooter, MEDIC-0372, Bhart89 and 5 others like this.
  9. Turumarth

Turumarth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, apologies but I'm clearly pretty crap with the search function because I'm sure this has been asked before.

I'll likely be buying my first xt250 in the next few days, and have been looking around for clutch and ignition case guards (the kind that you stick onto the bike with silicone).

Does anyone know a company that makes these?

Or is this something most xt riders dont bother about?
  10. twinrider

Oddometer:
    I bought the Yamaha OEM case guards. Do a search online and see if you can find a shop that will ship to Oz.

Q5KYSK041E07
    Turumarth likes this.
  11. Bugchewer

Bugchewer Piece of Work

Oddometer:
    WNY hills of Wyoming County, maple syrup & cheese!
    I am caught in analysis paralysis between a used XT250 and a Klx400r (Drz400). The Xt250 seems so small compared to my Tiger but it has to be a blast on the backroads and trails. The KLX400 just seems heavy. I keep thinking I would miss the power. I loved my WR250R and should never have sold it.
  12. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Well, just about everybody on this forum likes the XT, since we got one (or more). As I see it, the extra power would be nice, but the extra 60 pounds, and lower mileage with the same size tank, make me decide in favor of the XT. As I get older, I can barely pick up my XT250, when loaded for adventure.

Edit: Oops. Got that weight wrong. The KLX is lighter. See the following entries.
    Jolly Roger 250 likes this.
  13. twinrider

Oddometer:

33 lb difference. If you're tackling trails I'd recommend the XT250. If you're spending most of your time riding paved and unpaved roads the extra power of the KLX might be more fun.

What year XT is it? From 2013 on they're fuel injected, which for me is a big plus. No waiting for them to warm up and the throttle response is very sharp.
    randypower and zetabird like this.
  14. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    bugchewer, and twinrider, I apologize for saying the KLX is 60 pounds heavier. When I saw its dry weight listed as 249 pounds, I was just thinking 349, so it looks like that weight difference is in favor of the KLX. I did just find another article listing the KLX dry weight as 262 pounds, so somewhere in there, I guess.

The XT250 weighs just over 290 pounds, wet.
  15. twinrider

Oddometer:
    The KLX/DRZ is definitely heavier than the XT250, but only by about 33 lbs, or 15 kg.
  16. Turumarth

Turumarth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate. Haven't found them yet but I'll keep looking. I have found a sweet used 2016 xt250 with 1400kms on the clock that I'm picking up next Friday.

Which brings me to one further question: I'm looking to carry spare clutch and brake levers.

I've found clutch and brake levers that are meant to fit an xt225 and an xt250 up to 2012. Would this fit my newer xt? I know that time seems to correspond with when FI came in but not sure if there were other changes at that time. Cheers!
  17. Blumtnman

Blumtnman Rider

Oddometer:
    Case guards try Webike in Japan. A lot of bike shops in OZ carry cheaper levers from Motorcycle Accessories, a lot of the YZ and TT ranges will fit.
    Turumarth likes this.
  18. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Yes, they're all the same. I'd recommend adding a set of barkbusters, then you probably won't need the spare levers.

About the case guards, Yamaha discontinued them for some reason, but there must be old stock still around. I'd also recommend you check webike.
    Turumarth likes this.
  19. Jolly Roger 250

Jolly Roger 250 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Turumarth likes this.
  20. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately those guards aren't going to work with a bash plate and they also leave the cases vulnerable to damage if the bike is dropped on rocks.
    Turumarth likes this.