Where are your XT250's...let's see them.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MEDIC-0372, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Turumarth

Turumarth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ive had a 0% success rate with barkbusters on my old dr650, so I'm still trying to decide whether to bother with them on the xt. Cheers for the tips!
  2. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Don't know what you mean by 0% success, but I didn't get hand/lever guards on my old Honda CL200, and broke a lever about every third fall. I did get cheap hand guards for my XT250, when new, and have fallen dozens of times without needing a new lever. I DID break off the tip of the clutch lever once, but like the shorter version better.

In spite of this, what I would call 100% success rate, I still carry one of each lever when on multi-day adventures.
  3. Turumarth

Turumarth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry. For me, two drops, two broken levers on my DR650. something about the way I fell each time pushed the bark busters down and took the lever out. Both steep downhill, too much front brake. They were definitely attached properly. Guess I might have more success on the xt given its lighter and lower.
  4. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Genuine BarkBusters have done a sterling job on our XT.

Quite a few drops over the years, some of them from a sizable height e.g. down into holes on the inside of steep tight hairpins. Still running the original levers after all these years.
    glitch_oz and Turumarth like this.
  5. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    IME you have to pay attention to the fitting instructions, particularly the tightening sequence and torques. What the meter says is remarkably different to the feel, so your 'torque hammer' will be badly calibrated. And the later mounting kits are greatly improved.

And of course, you still need Teflon plumber's tape under the lever perches and have them loose enough to move on impact.

My enduro race bike took many hard hits that moved the BarkBusters (most didn't). Again still on OEM levers on that bike... and it's hit the ground so hard so often the BarkBusters eventually split the end of the handlebars. New bars, and new generation mounting kit went on.
  6. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I've installed them on every dirt bike I've had and have yet to break a lever. I dropped my KTM 350 EXC-F countless times and never had an issue. They also did a stellar job on my Africa Twin. Have them on my Super Tenere now, thankfully haven't dropped it yet.
  7. Blumtnman

Blumtnman Rider

Oddometer:
    ^ Me to!.
  8. Turumarth

Turumarth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Yeah I probably screwed up the fitting somehow, though they did feel tight. My lever perches were definitely too tight.
  9. EvanJ

EvanJ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    E3B088D2-A1EC-4B95-85FE-C79FD9D1CC30.jpeg

Attached Files:

10. MEDIC-0372

MEDIC-0372 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    EvanJ likes this.
  11. randypower

randypower Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow -- what fun and fantastic photos. Thanks for sharing and makin me jealous. Think I might like to put one or three of those as my desktop background for inspiration to get out to more remote places.
    EvanJ likes this.
  12. birdy

birdy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know this isn't rocket science, but is there any trick to disconnecting the fuel pump connector and fuel line on a FI XT250? Just never had to and I need to drain the fuel out as I am moving to South Carolina and the moving company requires no gas and the battery disconnected. I assume just pull off plastics, seat and unbolt the tank. Anything special to know to unhook harness and fuel lines.:dunno Thanks in advance. Ted
  13. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Yes, there is a trick to disconnecting the fuel hose, but I haven't figured out what it is. I tried to get it loose a couple of times, and even had my wife hold the tank while I worked at it, but finally gave up (didn't really need it off, anyhoo). This is what it says and shows in the service manual:
    XT Fuel Tank Removal.jpg
    If anybody can explain a little more clearly, please do.
    randypower likes this.
  14. JB44

JB44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pull/slide down the fitting cover (#1) to fully expose the disconnect buttons.
    Press the two silver (they may be black) buttons inward at the same time (#2)(one on each side of fitting).
    Pull/Twist the hose off.
    If this is the first time it has been disconnected, it may take some effort.
    When re-connectiing, put some silicone grease on the end of the fitting.
    Next time it will come off more easily.

It may be difficult to press on the two buttons simultaneously.
    There is a tool that may help.

Not an XT250, but the connector is the same:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jb
    randypower likes this.
  15. fastdadio

fastdadio Still gettin faster

Oddometer:
    Just siphon the gas out into a gas can. You know... like the old daze.
    :photog
  16. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found that it helped when I pushed the fitting in first, then pushed the buttons in and finally pulled it off.
    JB44 likes this.
  17. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    OK, the service manual makes it look like the disconnect is at the tank end of the fuel line, but that photo seems to show it's at the engine end, except it isn't an XT.

Is the disconnect at the engine? That would explain why I couldn't figure it out.
  18. birdy

birdy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, I have a manual but it has crappy pictures and seemed a little ambiguous. I'll give it a try and if it doesn't want to come off I'll just ride it to run down the tank and siphon the rest. Honestly, I don't think it will be a big deal. The bike is only going 400 miles over night in the moving truck and will be strapped down.
  19. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Today it's been up on the workstand getting new fork seals. The RHS was dribbling down the fork leg, and the oil on that side was dirty. The oil in the LHS was clean. Shame this happened only 2000 km / 6 months since a fork oil change. Oh well, only $20 of fork oil wasted. The annoying thing is that one of the fork boots is split in a few places, so we'll have to drop the forks again soon replace those. Might be able to raise the front and do it without removing the front wheel and mudguards.

[​IMG]
  20. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    When we moved, I just rode the bike farther than that, down Interstate 95.