Where are your XT250's...let's see them.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MEDIC-0372, Nov 4, 2008.

1. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Great opportunity to install the Cogent DDC kit, makes the forks so much better.
    randypower likes this.
  2. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Yeah I'm not really a fan of that stuff. Still too much compromise, I'd rather change the whole forks for a cartridge system and be done with it.

Having said that, the XT does what it does very well. The only upgrade we are considering starts with selling this bike.
    glitch_oz likes this.
  3. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Coming from a
    Considering no one makes a full cartridge fork swap kit for this bike, I'd say it's an excellent compromise compared to riding it with the ultra budget undersprung stock suspension. Together with the Cogent rear shock it brought the bike's suspension performance a lot closer to my KTM 350 EXCF than I thought was possible.
    randypower likes this.
  4. Skooter

Skooter moto-slowpoke

Oddometer:
    Lil' somethin' I picked up recently, with pics from the most bestest stretch of road in the whole world--Route 66 in AZ. :thumb
    IMG_7473.JPEG IMG_7490.JPEG IMG_7513.JPEG IMG_7520.JPEG IMG_7471.JPEG
    Rusty Rocket, jimroid, gkaan and 7 others like this.
  5. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I did the kit for the forks on my TW200 that procycle sells and could not believe the improvement in the fork action.
    I then noticed how bad the rear shock was, but I could go a lot faster over rough stuff without getting beat up by it.
    I will take inexpensive and easy to do suspension improvements any time I can get them.

6. Gil Favor

Gil Favor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been pretty satisfied with the OEM brand Trailwing tires on 2-tracks, forest roads, Dragon, Snake and Durhamtown, but wanted something with more road manners for longer trips. I bought an extra set of wheels on eBay and ordered some Shinko 705s in sizes 90/90-21 and 120/80-18. After mounting the tires and swapping the wheels (the front only took about 2 min. but the rear could use 3 hands), I took a 50 mile loop to try them out. Vibration and noise were greatly reduced, and I really enjoyed the ride, even at 75mph indicated speed (tho I usually travel at 55 or less). When things normalize, I plan to try them on the Three Sisters in the TX Hill Country, and the Tellico Plains area.

If these don't work out, I'm looking a the Wee-Strom for long road trips, but I really like the nimble handling of this little thumper, and the Wee is about 200 lbs heavier. For off-road travel, all I have to do is swap back to the trailwings, pop off the windshield and luggage. Probably 20 minutes or less. I just love this versatile little bike.

IMG_1690.JPG
    Blumtnman, MEDIC-0372 and randypower like this.
  7. specdog

specdog Perpetual search for roads unused.

Oddometer:
    I'm going to need replacement tires soon. I'm about to pull the trigger on the same 705's. Keep us posted on how they work out for you.
  8. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    I wasn't taking about a drop-in cartridge, but rather swapping the forks entirely for something else. Probably not realistic, not for cheap.

The thing is, initially you said just the cartridge emulators, now you are talking plus fork springs, plus rear shock and spring! All that's probably worth more than the bike is.

Realistically it's sprung close enough for us anyway. Yes, a bit more support at the front wouldn't go astray, but once you start, where do you stop? :-D As is, it does everything my partner asks of it.
  9. twinrider

Oddometer:
    The fork springs and emulators are sold as a kit together. Together with the shock, the upgrade isn't cheap at about $1100, but those who ride more challenging offroad terrain and plan on keeping the bike for a while would likely find it worthwhile, but those who don't ride anything more challenging than well groomed dirt roads would be OK with the stock setup.

Before doing the suspension I did one offroad ride with my KTM buddies and had to turn around on terrain that would have been a piece of cake on my 350 EXCF. First time to experience that. I owned several XR250s and a DR250 previously and thought the suspension was good enough on those bikes.
  10. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Plenty of people do stupid mods on bikes to 'make it their own' spending lots of money to ruin a bike.
    I have no problem spending money making a bike better at what its supposed to do.
    Also, its sort of fun to go faster/better then people expect on something like an XT250 or TW200.

Fork kit is reasonable, not sure I would spend the money on a back shock unless it added a few inches of travel.

The XT250 has some very nice qualities you can not find in any other new bike, enough ground clearance, a low seat, enough power
    to get by, better stock fuel range, lower center of gravity, reasonable weight, very well made bike.
    Its really only the suspension that makes it not so great off road.
    Fix that and you have a great all around bike.

With the introduction of the KLX230, it now has competition, but only now, and the 230 does not hold as
    much gas or have as low a seat.
    The seat height rules it out for some people.

If you plan on keeping the XT (well worth doing) then suspension upgrades make sense.
    If you plan on going to a KTM, then not.
    Elektrix, JB44 and randypower like this.
  11. twinrider

Oddometer:
    The bike rides a bit higher with it and it gives a plush ride and no bottoming out. They will spring it for the rider's weight.

The shock isn't cheap, but it's been my experience that when it comes time to sell the bike you can usually get half your money back for it by selling it separately. So it's less costly than it seems. Or if you keep the bike a long time, then again you're getting your money's worth.
    randypower likes this.
  12. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a win to me.

13. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Man O Man, more than a thousand dollars for front shock upgrades just seems like an awful lot. Between Cogent, ProCycle, Race Tech, and others, it seems like you should be able to get happy for less than half that. Then again, I'm not the one who wants that upgrade. As a putterer, what you call whoops, I call very little hills ; )
    MNimum, Skooter and JB44 like this.
  14. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    No, the fork kit is $374.00 which seems a lot for what you get I suppose.
    The shock kit is under $200.00 but YOU have to do the work and I do not know if your typical owner could do it.
    I suppose you can send the shock away and have it done or buy a quality shock.

It might be worth it if the XT is a good fit otherwise.
    A ktm may not hold up, may cost a lot more then an upgraded XT, might be too tall for many, would be more expensive
    to maintain, might vibrate more, or need its own upgrades (seat, larger gas tank, fuel controller).
    Spending $1500.00 on an XT might be the cheapest way to get what you want, if you want to go faster in more comfort.

If you bought a slightly used low mile XT for cheap, and upgraded it nicely, you would be at the price of a new one and
    have a MUCH better bike....

15. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Slow or fast, having well performing suspension is a HUGE difference.

[​IMG]

A real adjustable rear shock is necessary to complete the package. Rebuilding a wimpy non-adjustable shock isn't worth the effort.

[​IMG]
  16. twinrider

Oddometer:
    It's $377 for the Cogent kit, not a grand.
  17. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Far too many think performance suspension is about going faster. No!! It is about allowing the motorcycle to use all of the wheel travel, keeping the tire properly connected to the ground. If you are more than a featherweight then you are riding with the suspension far too compressed. If you have any luggage, the same compression is occurring.

Performance suspension takes into consideration the rider weight, usual load carried weight, and the style of riding. Then, the spring and dampening is selected to match.

Even slow trials riders, who ride slower than walking, depend on performance suspension set to their weight.

Once you invest the sum necessary to upgrade, you will surely give yourself a dope-slap for not doing this the minute you purchased the XT. It makes that much of a difference.
    Rusty Rocket likes this.
  18. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    True, I found the stock XT suspension brutal.
    More the rear, but both ends were very harsh.
    What I do not understand is why they put such poor suspension parts on some bikes.
    Not saying you have to have all kinds of adjustments, but they do not have to be fixed damping units.
    You would think lots of people would buy a bike with better acting suspension over one that is bad. Maybe not?
  19. Skooter

Skooter moto-slowpoke

Oddometer:
    Apparently most folks don't put much thought into farkles until after the purchase. I'm guilty to some extent but fortunately not the type who spends $2K on accessories then sells the bike in 3 months! :doh
  20. JB44

JB44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brett, after riding threTW200 on forest service roads 9+ years, it took only one ride on a friend's stock XT250 to notice how much better the suspension was.

IMO, a hard core dirt rider would choose a different bike. For a conservative rider on mild dirt /gravel roads, the XT's suspension is adequate.

Could it be better? Of course, but for an average, conservative rider, it doesn't need to be.

jb