1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Where are your XT250's...let's see them.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MEDIC-0372, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Turumarth

Turumarth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate. Haven't found them yet but I'll keep looking. I have found a sweet used 2016 xt250 with 1400kms on the clock that I'm picking up next Friday.

Which brings me to one further question: I'm looking to carry spare clutch and brake levers.

I've found clutch and brake levers that are meant to fit an xt225 and an xt250 up to 2012. Would this fit my newer xt? I know that time seems to correspond with when FI came in but not sure if there were other changes at that time. Cheers!
  2. Blumtnman

Blumtnman Rider

Oddometer:
    Case guards try Webike in Japan. A lot of bike shops in OZ carry cheaper levers from Motorcycle Accessories, a lot of the YZ and TT ranges will fit.
    Turumarth likes this.
  3. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Yes, they're all the same. I'd recommend adding a set of barkbusters, then you probably won't need the spare levers.

About the case guards, Yamaha discontinued them for some reason, but there must be old stock still around. I'd also recommend you check webike.
    Turumarth likes this.
  4. Jolly Roger 250

Jolly Roger 250 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Turumarth likes this.
  5. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately those guards aren't going to work with a bash plate and they also leave the cases vulnerable to damage if the bike is dropped on rocks.
    Turumarth likes this.
  6. Turumarth

Turumarth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ive had a 0% success rate with barkbusters on my old dr650, so I'm still trying to decide whether to bother with them on the xt. Cheers for the tips!
  7. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Don't know what you mean by 0% success, but I didn't get hand/lever guards on my old Honda CL200, and broke a lever about every third fall. I did get cheap hand guards for my XT250, when new, and have fallen dozens of times without needing a new lever. I DID break off the tip of the clutch lever once, but like the shorter version better.

In spite of this, what I would call 100% success rate, I still carry one of each lever when on multi-day adventures.
  8. Turumarth

Turumarth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry. For me, two drops, two broken levers on my DR650. something about the way I fell each time pushed the bark busters down and took the lever out. Both steep downhill, too much front brake. They were definitely attached properly. Guess I might have more success on the xt given its lighter and lower.
  9. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Genuine BarkBusters have done a sterling job on our XT.

Quite a few drops over the years, some of them from a sizable height e.g. down into holes on the inside of steep tight hairpins. Still running the original levers after all these years.
    glitch_oz and Turumarth like this.
  10. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    IME you have to pay attention to the fitting instructions, particularly the tightening sequence and torques. What the meter says is remarkably different to the feel, so your 'torque hammer' will be badly calibrated. And the later mounting kits are greatly improved.

And of course, you still need Teflon plumber's tape under the lever perches and have them loose enough to move on impact.

My enduro race bike took many hard hits that moved the BarkBusters (most didn't). Again still on OEM levers on that bike... and it's hit the ground so hard so often the BarkBusters eventually split the end of the handlebars. New bars, and new generation mounting kit went on.
  11. twinrider

Oddometer:
    I've installed them on every dirt bike I've had and have yet to break a lever. I dropped my KTM 350 EXC-F countless times and never had an issue. They also did a stellar job on my Africa Twin. Have them on my Super Tenere now, thankfully haven't dropped it yet.
  12. Blumtnman

Blumtnman Rider

Oddometer:
    ^ Me to!.
  13. Turumarth

Turumarth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Yeah I probably screwed up the fitting somehow, though they did feel tight. My lever perches were definitely too tight.