1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Where are your XT250's...let's see them.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MEDIC-0372, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Baja_Bound

Baja_Bound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I may have missed it, but what website was that from?
  2. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Oh, I don,t know.
    I put 5000 miles on a TW200 (mostly stock), then 5000 miles on a new XT250, then about 5000 miles on another TW200, now I have
    the new klx230.
    Suspension wise there was not much to choose between the TW with the tires aired down and the stock XT250.
    Both bike have about 7 inches in the back. You can improve both bikes forks.
    I guess it depends on where and how you ride.
    The XT does have 10 mph over the Tdub....

The KLX is way better then both of those bikes, but taller.

JB44 likes this.
  3. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    TW200 has 70% the fork travel the XT250 has, 6.3" vs. 8.9".
    TW200 has 83% the rear shock travel the XT250 has, 5.9' vs. 7.1".
    JB44 likes this.
  5. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Hey NJ, I thought you got that T-dub to make yourself slow down and stay whole, but now I see you're whizzing around on that new KLX230 like you were on a motocross track.

Guess you do need to keep your speed up on all that sand you ride, but really. . .

Just had to read that KLX230 forum, and see what it's all about. I notice you prefer its suspension and its quick engine. You probably also like having a fuel gauge, though it seems considerably too conservative. Apparently its seat and OEM tires are no better than the Yamaha's, and its fuel tank is smaller, and the mileage seems worse, or is that just because you're riding wide open throttle so often?

Any other significant differences from the XT and T-dub that come to mind?
  6. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I SHOULD be on the T dubya.
    The klx is a hoot though, I can ignore everything I had to dodge on the TW, the klx suspension is quite good for bargain basement stuff.
    The motor and trans is a hoot also, roost all day long.
    Many times you can just gas it through rough sand, but you cant on really tight trails (tight turns and/or giant whoops).

The main reason I get the KLX is the additional top speed it has over the TW, I can venture on the street more to get different places to ride.
    And it is good for that.
    But I will go back to the TW next year as its a good bike for solo exploring in all the sand and swamp around here.
    I do not like tall bikes in that stuff, and like the fat tires, low seat, low weight, low center of gravity the TW has.
    Like the XT250, I avoid some trails on the klx as no fun on a tall bike with skinny tires, plus the TW goes slow real well and allows you
    to look around, on the klx its an Enduro race, that is fun, but you don't get to look around much.

Hey, when they come out with a NEW air cooled dual sport with a 6 speed transmission, I have to try it.
    How often does that happen?
    crf230l and the xt225 were the last ones besides the XT250.
  7. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Absolutely spot on!
    JB44 likes this.
  8. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    That's USD though, right? Double that for what it costs here. So NZ$2200 on a bike that was NZ$3000 a few years old with 25,000 km on it.

The XT doesn't need upgrades to get anywhere, for adventure use. It'll get there, just slowly. We've done some very gnarly tracks... slowly. Limiting factor has always been it's power: steep enough hill and/or loose sand is the only thing that's defeated it. Overtaking punch on steep winding roads is a problem, too.

The other thing about radical suspension upgrades is that the bike is a system. Awesome suspension is only going to show up the chassis flex or less aggressive design shape. Then you're gonna be hitting stuff faster so want more brakes. Then you're gonna notice the power is not enough. At that point the best option is to lift the gas cap and insert a better bike underneath.

My DR-Z250 had a re-valved shock which totally transformed the bike, and it only cost a few hundred dollars - because the bike was basically an enduro weapon in it's day so had a good base. Minor tweak to the forks, just fork oil height. Chalk-and-cheese versus a stock bike. But mine was raced and ridden very hard.

And no, we are not looking to upgrade to a KTM! Favourite so far is the Ducati Scrambler Icon, which in many respects is just a bigger version of the XT, as odd as that may sound. "Small", light, soft-roader, similar ride position and ergos, but with more highway focus. My partner may not want to take it in to some of the gnarlier places we've been with the XT with her skill level, but the trade-off is more comfort and speed to do more gravel roads farther afield.
    tlrmark, glitch_oz and JB44 like this.
  9. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I myself do not find dirt riding slowly to be much fun except on a TW.
    I find nothing fun about going down a dirt road slowly on a dual sport bike.
    I don't want the expense and trade off of a race bike, but I don't want really cheap suspension that works poorly.
    There really is no excuse, my klx has cheap but well working suspension on it.
    Its not the amount of travel, its the way it works when you hit something.
    I can go faster on the klx sitting then I could on the XT standing, over pot holed roads, and the klx has a really bad seat.

I get that you don't want to spend the money on a cheap bike.
    I am not sure I would spend a grand on a shock for an XT250, it might be a lot better to fit a lowering link to the klx, that is a LOT cheaper.
    bikemoto and twinrider like this.
  10. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Like you, I wouldn't have spent a dime on the suspension if it was my wife's bike and she was happy with it as is. Personally I could barely tolerate the suspension performance of my Serow on bumpy tarmac much less offroad, no plushness at all. That could be in part because of my 85kg weight. I think the bike is sprung for a 60kg Japanese rider. Haven't noticed any problem with the brakes or the frame, they are both made to handle 2-up use at speed.
  11. mkitchen

mkitchen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are looking for a less expensive upgrade for the XT, I suggest Progressive Springs, part #1114. I bought a set for my wife's XT as she didn't like the amount of dive when braking and the too soft feel on rougher trails. The Progressive springs fit the bill and she is much happier. I have Cogent front and rear on my KLR and am very happy with them but I wanted to try the less expensive solution first. The springs are $86 on amazon. Note, they do not show as an upgrade for the XT but they fit and work great on the bike.
    Mikey
    randypower and zetabird like this.
  12. N7XW

N7XW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I've been on an XR650L for 10 years and just bought a new XT250. I finally got tired of the tall XR even after installing a lowering link and aftermarket lower seat. I'm looking for a couple XT upgrade recommendations. Handguards and skidplates. What works best and what is recommended. I'd appreciate some info. Thanks.
    randypower and zetabird like this.
  13. zetabird

zetabird Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have zeta handguards and a ricochet offeoad skid plate and both seam to be well made. Ive already tested the skid plate on a parking curb
  14. twinrider

Oddometer:
    I have Zeta handguards on my XT but only because the PO added them I've seen Zeta guards bend in drops on other bikes and would recommend barkbusters over them.
  15. N7XW

N7XW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I was thinking either barkbusters or acerbis. Not sure which would be better.
  16. twinrider

Oddometer:
    I've never had an issue with barbusters, no experience with acerbis.
  17. TDC_ERock

TDC_ERock Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    No complaints with Tusk D-Flex
    Skooter and Graybush like this.
  18. Xtyling

Xtyling Adventurer

Oddometer:
    46722753-B3C6-43EB-A267-7F0CE7F18B97.jpeg 40EFFEE3-F609-4D2D-8E49-5E725D2EFC78.jpeg
    Finally got around to install my Tutoro Chain Oiler. 45278BB0-7B6D-46E3-AE96-BAFCA36B6E43.jpeg
    AdventuresofJB2 likes this.
  19. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Great day for a ride, but some puddles. Man, there were a lot of motorbikes on the road today.
    Tusc Access.jpg
  20. Graybush

Graybush I like turtles.

Oddometer:
    I have Barkbusters on my Tiger and Tusk D-Flex on my XT250. Both are great. The Barkbusters were extremely easy to install and I like the VPS, but they cost almost 3x what the D-Flex did. The D-Flex guards were about $50 when I got them, but really fiddly to install. They were definitely worth it, though. They've been on for 2 years and I've had to tighten them up once, despite a lot of falls.

20200125_103851.jpg
    Skooter and randypower like this.