Where are your XT250's...let's see them.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MEDIC-0372, Nov 4, 2008.

1. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Wow. That's a serious upgrade, but I hope she won't be trying many tough single-tracks on that. At nearly 90 pounds heavier than the XT250, it may be harder to handle. I'm surprised she didn't go for a 350 Exec F, or a 500 Exec F, with a lot less weight than the XT, but their maintenance might be a bigger chore.

Anyway, enjoy your Adventures
  2. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    It's not quite that much heavier, 35 kg (77 lb), but we are splitting hairs. The suspension will work in her favour, too. We test rode a standard one, but afterwards she was able to sit on a lowered customer bike and just loved it. But no, it's not likely to be used on much single-track. We don't do that except on closed-course off-road events anyway. Our remote 4wd tracks are rugged enough.

When we were looking to spend half the money on something used, she found some EXCs but they are not a good fit for her purposes. They are an enduro weapon that can be pressed in to adventure/trail duties quite well, but not really adventure/tour except for the hard asses. They are really tall, race-use-only seats, no wind protection. We barely mentioned maintenance. Once we really started looking around, although she liked the naked sportsters (Street Triple, Monster, Duke) as she's a pretty quick and competent rider, she didn't want to give up gravel use. Looked at the Scramblers, too, and the new Honda CB500X. Then we bumped in to the 390 Adventure at our local shop and it escalated from there :)

Features-wise there's also an ever-widening gap between EXCs, XTs, DRs etc and modern adventure bikes. The 390 has 80% of the fancy bits of the bigger bikes: cornering lean-sensitive ABS and TC, off-road ABS, TFT display with Bluetooth connectivity, fancy LED headlight, adjustable WP suspension, tubeless wheels, 400 km tank range, and an utter gem of an engine. Makes the same power as the DR650 while carrying an extra 10 kg... and has all that fruit.

The last of the new XT250s is $7.5K. The 390 here is $10k; that's a heck of a bike for the money. For reference, the 790 is $22k, and the 790R $25k, so it seems more sharply priced here than in the USA.
  3. buckthedog

buckthedog Eastbound and down

Oddometer:
    Seems like 25% more money gets you 60% percent more bike. I cannot fault your logic. Ultimately, its your decision, it checks your boxes and I hope you guys have a TON of fun on it, with it, etc.

Mazel Tov :)
    randypower likes this.
  4. Aguaski

Aguaski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    randypower likes this.
  5. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    randypower likes this.
  6. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Ah - sorry to confuse. Like many countries, in New Zealand ABS is now required for new road-registered bikes. Existing models can be sold until Nov 2021 but from Nov 2019 newly-released models must have ABS. Dealers will either run down stock, or get as many as they can for the impending buying frenzy before the law kills them off.

But you never know. Maybe small dual-purpose bikes like the XT250 and CRF250 etc will get ABS. Reckon that's still probably easier than a whole new model, despite being a bit of a design nightmare. Most ABS systems have a single controller in the centre of the bike, and the brake lines run to/from that point.
    randypower likes this.
  7. Mr&MrsEnduro

Mr&MrsEnduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haven’t checked in in a while. Mrs still dealing with a knee injury from last September. However it doesn’t stop us from making rainbows

IMG_2551.jpg
    IMG_2450.jpg
    IMG_2449.jpg
  8. sonnystile

sonnystile Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wanna see MY XT250?

IMG_1718.jpg

IMG_1717.jpg

Best I can figure is it was so hot that the plastic anchors in the block gave way.

I initially thought that the scuffs and scrapes were the only damage and was only moderately bummed.

Then I found this:
    Adjustments.jpg

Shit. That’s a $400 part!

If I buy a new one, does anyone know if it effects the odometer?

This is a 2017 with only 500 miles on it and I’d hate to have a title that states “Incorrect Mileage”.
  9. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I would research the best plastic glue and fix it myself. It's not a part that gets stress put on it.
  10. Mr&MrsEnduro

Mr&MrsEnduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife saved hers when she went down and had branch come though perfectly and crack her instrument panel. She used epoxy and it never got any water in it after that. Even riding in a wind driven rain storm.
    It lasted a few years.

It’s demise wasn’t related to that crack however. Apparently there is a fault if you slowly allow your battery to drain to depletion (say from a plugged in USB connector) your computer will no longer function properly even with a new battery. It reads triple the speed (to the best of our math) which also results in triple the mileage.

So now we have to drop that $400 as well to correct that issue. For now.. she uses an app on her phone for speed.
  11. twinrider

Oddometer:
    The dash clock alone drains power. Good idea to use a battery tender if not riding regularly.
  12. OHjim

OHjim Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's a guy I found for a wrecked speedo I had that might be able to match your odometer if you decide to buy new. http://bluegauges.com/index2.htm
    Dirtrobber likes this.
  13. Mr&MrsEnduro

Mr&MrsEnduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    We can’t plug bikes in indefinitely so that was never an option. It does have a tender otherwise.

She failed to unplug her USB from her SAE Connector the last time she parked it. Shit happens. That wasn’t the point of the story.

The point was you can kill the dash permanently if you allow the battery to slowly drain to depletion. This is also a fault of the WR. This is a fault of Yamaha by design as noted on other forums.

Adjustments.jpg
  14. sonnystile

sonnystile Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I am correct in thinking that a new unit would zero out the odometer?
  15. Mr&MrsEnduro

Mr&MrsEnduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Correct
  16. GrumpyStuart

GrumpyStuart Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The display is the one thing on the XT that has really disappointed me. Every year it gets worse, I can still make out the odometer from certain angles, but the speedo says 188 pretty much all the time now. 2014 XT 250
    xt250.jpg
    I can still read the speedo and odo on my 1972 JT2 with no problem .... sometimes modern improvements aren't.
  17. randypower

randypower Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a pretty terrible display there. My 2009 wasn't bad at all except the backlight failed. And my 2013 is looking pretty good.

I wonder if you're doing something different than I. Mine is stored indoors when not on the road, and I'm in Texas where there's plenty of heat and sun on the bike.
  18. GrumpyStuart

GrumpyStuart Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine is an outdoor motorcycle. And -40 not unheard of in my neck of the woods, so yes, mine lives a very different life than yours.
    randypower and manx16 like this.
  19. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I didn't mean permanent tending, just once in a while. I drained the battery on my XT to where I had no signs of power and had to bump start it. No prob with the dash. Maybe there's drained and totally drained.
    Mr&MrsEnduro likes this.
  20. Mr&MrsEnduro

Mr&MrsEnduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gotcha. Yeah we’ve had dead batteries too but there must be something to the rate of depletion that has a detrimental effect.

We had a bike stolen last fall so we keep nothing in the garage. It’s either in the house or at a secure location. Makes it hard to tend them regularly.

When her bike was ridden more it wasn’t an issue. She’s been sidelined with a torn ACL and would only ride now and again.

We’ve since picked up self jumping anti gravity batteries so that won’t be an issue again.

https://antigravitybatteries.com/restart-technology/