Where are your XT250's...let's see them.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MEDIC-0372, Nov 4, 2008.

1. heirhead

heirhead worlds worst mechanic

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    Great pics and congrats on bike.
    I know you did Not say this, but, please do not assume that these bikes are just for women or new riders.
    Thanks,

hh
    wwm
    Logger06, MikefromNL and AZ TOM like this.
  2. Mr. Goodkat

Mr. Goodkat The Dude abides......

Oddometer:
    I'll keep that in mind. I was looking at it earlier and getting ideas on how I can retire things if I have to. The cycle where we got the bikes from has a Pro Taper handle bar setup in the parts department and I might go there to fondle some bars. I have Carmichael bars on my DR but I actually like the feel of the XT factory bar specs. If I don't go with simple bar risers the CR Low bars look like they could be close.
  3. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    jb, it'll fit, as there's some extra room in the battery box, and its sizes are just "rounded" from centimeters

The OEM batteries are Yuasa, but I'm not sure which (mine is an aftermarket):

Yuasa AGM YTX5L-BS
    Pb L= 4.5 W= 2.81 H= 4.19 Amp Hr= 4.2 Wt= 4.2 lb

Yuasa High Performance YTZ7S
    Pb L= 4.44 W=2.75 H= 4.12 Amp Hr= 6.3 Wt= 4.6 lb

Miady LifePO4 LFP8AH:
    Li L= 3.54 W= 2.76 H= 4.13 Amp Hr= 8 Wt= 2.0 lb

Edit: when I received my 16 AH battery, I found its dimensions weren't what was shown in a picture to the left of the Amazon ad, and when leaving a comment about that, I found that they had left it's real dimensions in answer to a question, at the bottom. I then looked for this info for the 8 amp size, and here it is:

Miady LifePO4 LFP8AH, actual dimensions:
    Li L= 3.58 W= 2.75 H= 3.97 Amp Hr= 8 Wt= 2.0 lb
    JB44 likes this.
  4. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a longtime rider of bigger and much more powerful machines, I was pleasantly surprised at how much fun the XT250 is to ride! Its so darn confidence inspiring.

I do wish it had a bit more oomph for the short stints we have to do on the freeway but I think its a keeper! Riding this one has me eyeing a small Japanese dualsport for myself.
  5. NicKel78

NicKel78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you are ok. Everything feeling alright today?
  6. HOTPASS

HOTPASS F*ck cancer.

Oddometer:

I had it on the bike for like 4 years, 3 of which it was my only vehicle. I liked it a lot. It’s the whole nav tower that makes it work so well. I actually just sold that whole kit last week, going a different direction with the ol’ DR after all these years. Front end is 1999 SUZUKI RM250.
    Mr. Goodkat likes this.
  7. HOTPASS

HOTPASS F*ck cancer.

Oddometer:
    I had this one kicking around with many bikes worth of holes drilled in it so it was “free”, but it worked great with a few extra washers to kick the back away from the downtube a touch.

acerbis super moto. $30

B02B0703-9E53-4474-BDF0-083F5D4F0353.jpeg
    MEDIC-0372 and MikefromNL like this.
  8. Mr. Goodkat

Mr. Goodkat The Dude abides......

Oddometer:
    The new tank bag came in yesterday. A Nelson Rigg Hurricane waterproof model. I basically wanted something to carry my DSLR with the lens I have on most of the time and just fits. I usually keep my phone and wallet in my jacket anyway.

I like Nelson Rigg stuff, the quality seems pretty good for the price.

PXL_20201117_232427432.jpg PXL_20201117_232446070.jpg PXL_20201117_232503942.jpg
  9. milo

milo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have deposit on one at the local dealer and last time I was there was told to expect it in December. But I'm having second thoughts now and am considering not buying it for the simple reason my XT will do everything a CT125 will only better, so what's the point? I had a Monkey (which I bought used then traded it) and found it underpowered and its suspension lacking, I imagine the CT125 will probably be worse.
    So I may move my deposit to a Honda Pioneer 520. :)
  10. Lightyear68

Lightyear68 Northeast Enduro Rider

Oddometer:
    This post was deleted since the parts I referenced in the Flea Market have sold.
  11. Cliff h

Cliff h [IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer:
    XT seat pan wanted

I'm looking for a seat pan for my '12 XT250. I want to put a seat concepts seat on it, but my stock seat is in perfect condition, and seat concepts only sells the kits where you need to use your existing seat pan. I want to keep the stock seat intact, in case I want to put it back on (probably won't want to put it back on, but I keep all the stock parts I take off in a tote, for just in case). I have not found a source for seat pans, only a complete stock seat. If anyone has a seat pan they are willing to sell, or knows where I can get a seat pan, I would appreciate it.
  12. ride and repeat

ride and repeat n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm a huge fan of the XT for all around riding. I commute about 30 miles a day, and usually take the back road, but I have no trouble getting up to speed and staying safe on the highway. I'm an older, shorter rider, and the ease of moving this bike (and picking it back up) is the reason for trading in two much bigger bikes. The XT was relatively comfortable on a 5K mile ride from Asheville, NC to Denver to Milwaukee to Boston and back, with just an Air Hawk seat cushion. There was some concern on the highway in CO, where they drove way faster than the speed limit, for this bike with this much gear, but no problems. The only mechanical issue was related to an electrical mod that I'd done before leaving. The bike stayed steady through Hurricane Florence on the way back down the BRP. Great bike, looking to do the MABDR with it this Summer. 20180913_133246.jpg
  13. sonnystile

sonnystile Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The two things it will do better for me are:

1. Townie duty. No clutch and an ENORMOUS rear rack make a great grocery getter.

2. Allow me to ride with my wife when she is one her SuperCub much easier. And also get her more comfortable foraying into dirt.

Otherwise I would’ve kept my XT forever as it’s perfect for what it is.
  14. Graybush

Graybush I like turtles.

Oddometer:
    I considered rejetting my XT and using it on the New Mexico BDR next fall, but didn't know how it would do carrying my not small self and a week's worth of gear and camping equipment up and over 9000'. What kind of gear weight would you estimate you were carrying, and at about what speeds on those trips you mentioned? Thanks.
  15. buckthedog

buckthedog Eastbound and down

Oddometer:
    @ride and repeat, that is a hardcore trip on the XT. I've found that on my KLR, the cruising speed is about 68, which is comfortable for both man and machine. Of course I have a bit in reserve to blast to 80, but it's stressful up there. And eats oil. My XT225 cruises comfortably at 60 with about 68 it's max at sea level. No way I'd do a long asphalt tour on that. Not like yours. Good work!
  16. buckthedog

buckthedog Eastbound and down

Oddometer:
    @Graybush, looks like about 60lbs with those metal boxes, assuming they're full, and the stuff on the seat. Pretty impressive. For NM, being from there, I'd take it. I mean a DRZ would be better, depending on your height and all, but venturing into the wilds, in unfamiliar land, especially solo, I'd choose my XT over my KLR anyday. I'd likely not rejet, since you won't likely be over 9K elevation? Not familiar with the NMBDR, but half of NM is below 5K elevation. Only from ABQ north do you really gain altitude. Unless you go over the southern mountains. Others more knowledgeable than I will chime in to help.
  17. ride and repeat

Oddometer:
    For that trip, I'd say there was about 70+Lbs of gear (I had to bring some things specific for my destination), and it was mostly Route 50 (one of the first Trans-continental roads), so speeds were around 55 and below, except skirting around a few big cities on the Freeway. I hit a number of soft-ish gravel roads, and the bike did fine for me, I had Anakee Wilds on at the time. The problem I encountered was the way I packed everything (and didn't take a realistic trial ride), and as soon as I got on Rt. 40 West out of Asheville, the front end lifted up and I had to maintain a forward lean till I got to TN. Below you can see the rack I made that put too much of the weight behind the rear axle. Once I repacked it closer, it was a little too much of a forward sitting position, and my hips were at 90* and became uncomfortable. I found a good balance, but I would pack smaller next time (it still wanted to get air over 68mph). I also bought a set of Wolfman tank bags since then to redistribute the weight forward. In the first picture you can see the "highway bars" I put on, thought I'd need them for traveling the straight roads of Kansas, but that state kicked my ass with unreal sidewinds that kept me at a constant 15-20 degree lean!
    For a week long trip, you wouldn't need that much stuff (I didn't really need all I took), and since I'm not familiar with the NMBDR, I'd pack light and then follow @buckthedog's advice about the need to rejet due to altitude (I was in Denver, the mile high city and no real problem). Either way, have a blast @Graybush.
    004.JPG

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      712.3 KB
      Views:
    Skooter, MEDIC-0372 and randypower like this.
  18. Graybush

Graybush I like turtles.

Oddometer:
    https://ridebdr.com/nmbdr/

The elevation profile for that route shows it spending a couple hundred miles above 8000' and exceeding 9000' a few times. For a rider/bike who spends most of their time at sea level (me), that's definitely something worth noting.

Thanks. I keep jumping between setting up the XT, taking my Tiger, or looking for a cheap KLR just for the trip. I'll probably change my mind a couple dozen more times this week.
    sonnystile likes this.
  19. ride and repeat

Oddometer:
    It wouldn't be a motorcycle trip if you didn't change your mind often, thinking about it is the best part. Have fun.
    buckthedog and randypower like this.
  20. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had no issues riding dirt roads at altitude in CO with my FI XT.

I'm no light weight and carry too much gear.

There were some paved roads where I had to shift down in to fourth gear to keep the speed up.

I rode the same area previously with a DR650.

The XT was more fun.

If I had a carbed XT and was considering a change due to this trip I would seek out a newer FI XT.