Where are your XT250's...let's see them.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MEDIC-0372, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    It does! I love the color scheme because it's very "desert-y." Although my next favorite color scheme is the current gray/silver of the 20-21 models. I was actually going to get a new 2021, but while they were attempting to approve me, I found the used one and grabbed it instead since I had enough cash to cover the whole thing.
    buckthedog likes this.
  2. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    I spent an hour or so with the gas tank off, freeing up slack in all of the wires and cables so I could get more rise in the bars. I have two sets of the Rocky Mountain 1-1/8" risers stacked, using longer bolts I picked up from ACE. Fits perfectly now.

If I end up wanting even more rise, I'll switch to new bars (Pro Taper fat bars) with a ROX 2" riser that I have leftover from my Tiger 800. That riser is fat on both ends so I have a regular to fat adapter to go under it (which is worth almost an inch). But to go that high I will probably have to get a longer clutch cable and also may have to get out the soldering iron to extend the wires. Not 100% sure there. I wasn't in the mood to deal with wiring today, so I just went with the simpler solution for the time being. Once I'm in the mood to do more, I'll add hand warmers and a 12v outlet. And a powered GPS mount.

Edit: I took that pic before I finished tightening the bolts down on the clamps.

Attached Files:

Skooter, WettBanditt and AZ TOM like this.
  3. buckthedog

buckthedog Eastbound and down

Oddometer:
    @robg good comparison to the Versys300. Lots of people seem to like it, but wind up pounding a square peg into a round hole as far as trail riding, even light to moderate. I love my XT225 and we've even done 2 up on it in a fun, goofy slow backroad way, as my wife and I are medium (me) to petite (her) in size. I'd love to try the 250 flavor. She just left a travel nursing admin assignment right near the Superstition Mtns for several months, and fell in love with Az. Never been west of Dallas before. I don't hold that against her. We don't plan on being snowbirds but I'd give a non vital organ to hang out and ride out there for a while. And of course northern Az., which I'm more familiar with.
  4. milo

milo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I traded a Versys 300 in on my XT250, other than being within 50cc's of each other they are a completely different class of motorcycle but both good in their own way.
  5. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First ride with the new to me 2019. 30 degrees out, I guess I'll wire up the plug for my electric gear next.
    What a small and narrow bike! I had bought it without a test ride because the seller lived up an icy road. But got used to it quickly and enjoyed revving the engine. Very agile and plenty of power. Look forward to more.
    IMG_6607.JPG
    MEDIC-0372, Skooter, Bors and 3 others like this.
  6. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    I did a 60-mile ride today... I rode a twisty-curvy road (paved) out to a couple miles of dirt to a dead end (closed road) -- Apache Trail for those who know the area. Not terribly exciting; lots of f'ing snowbirds and slow-ass Harleys.

On the way back, I turned into the Bulldog Canyon area where I had ridden a couple of times over the last week. I rode 5-6 miles of fun two-track dirt with a nice mix of hardpack, a bit of loose, some rocks, etc, etc. The bike did great! My 2-1/4" of bar rise is perfect. And I'm still very impressed by the stock suspension. It's mushy, but quite decent. I haven't bottomed it yet which is surprising, as fast as I've hit rocks and ruts.

I think I'm going to change the fork oil. Does anybody know the proper amount of fork oil I need, and what the level is for setting it? I have the tool to set it accurately once I know the measurement. I'm guessing it takes 10wt. I think I'll put 15wt in it and see if it helps. I'd like a little more compression damping.

Attached Files:

ToadRoad, Skooter, randypower and 2 others like this.
  7. NicKel78

NicKel78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 6.37.30 PM.png
    JB44 likes this.
  8. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Thank you! :)
  9. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Hey, so next question -- what are the valve clearance specs? I plan to check mine pretty soon.

Yesterday I got my Barkbusters installed finally. One less thing to worry about if i dump the bike. My Doubletakes will be here this week.

Now to find a decent seat. I chose not to ride yesterday because my tailbone was so sore from the previous two days. I'm not convinced SeatConcepts is the answer (plus orders from them are almost two months backordered).
  10. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Valve specs for 2013 and up. Probably same for the earlier models
    Clipboard03.jpg
    JB44 likes this.
  11. bikeneil

bikeneil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now to find a decent seat. I chose not to ride yesterday because my tailbone was so sore from the previous two days. I'm not convinced SeatConcepts is the answer (plus orders from them are almost two months backordered).[/QUOTE]

I’ve had this on my 2008 & 2019 XT250 and it makes a big difference. It is made by Stearn & I bought it at walmart years ago. It is listed as a ATV seat cover.

AE98675A-F93B-40FE-8A8C-8362099A6C52.jpeg
    Skooter, NicKel78 and WettBanditt like this.
  12. ride and repeat

ride and repeat Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use an Airhawk seat on my bikes, definitely more expensive, but on longer rides I can easily change the volume of air in it and that provides different pressure points to give other parts of my butt a rest. The other thing it does for me, is opens up the angle between my hips and trunk (I'm short anyway, but this helps). I used it on a 5000 mile ride (shown here somewhere - Kansas maybe?), and while I'm not saying I didn't get sore, I'm pretty sure it would've been worse. 20180831_163230 (2).jpg
  13. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Those are great ideas, but I don't want to do anything to raise the seat height... my legs are short enough as it is. I'm talking to a local seat builder right now; have to make time to go over and see him to see what it'll cost to do something, or if I go ahead and try a Seat Concepts seat, even though I've had two in the past that weren't that great.
  14. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    My Doubletake mirrors just showed up, so I installed them. Figured between those and the new hand guards, it was worth a pic.

Attached Files:

15. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you get any head shake at speed with the long arm double take mirrors try the shorter arms.

DAMHIK
  16. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Thanks; I was going to try the shorter arms anyway because the long ones make them seem kind of obnoxious.
  17. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Here are the latest pix as of yesterday. New bars, new risers, hand guards, mirrors with the shorter arms, skidplate, and new rear tire.

The pars are ProTaper Contour SE Woods High Bend (fat bars), using a ROX 2" riser and a 7/8 to 1-1/8 converter under it. The riser is leftover from my Tiger 800; I put the 2" on it first, then went to the 3", and the tiger comes with fat bars from the factory.

I have a rack coming Friday that I may just return because it's taken too long to ship considering I ordered it over a week ago and was only coming from SoCal. May go ahead and get a CycleRacks rack.

I did a quick ride yesterday afternoon with the new tire and it's very nice! No more skidding sideways the moment I touch the rear brakes.

I got new sprockets, but I think I'm going to send the 48T rear back and get a 51T in its place, since I still need to order a chain. I'll keep the stock 15T front and order a 16T to go with it. That way I can have stock gear (16/51), or go to Low gearing for gnarlier stuff. I've been noticing a lack of power between 2&3 and 3&4 and this should solve that. Will suck on the highway though, hence being able to put the 16T back on.

Another week or so and I can order the Cogent suspension package. Can't wait. It's gone from "impressive" in stock form to "OMG I can't wait to get Cogent" in my last ride. :)

Attached Files:

18. Graybush

Graybush I like turtles.

Oddometer:
    Beautiful day here in Florida. Got in about 75 miles on the XT, with a buddy on his DR-Z. This is the first time I've gotten to wring this bike out in a year, and it felt great. I've also lost a lot of weight in that time, and the suspension work I did a couple of years ago is even better now.

20210116_095546.jpg

20210116_125449.jpg
  19. Beeners

Beeners Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First off pavement ride on my new XT250 here in New Mexico. The destination was Guadalupe Ruins, about 140 miles round trip.
    63252173983__9CB65660-D8E1-4F95-83F3-51D75A5F900C.jpeg
    IMG_1052.jpeg
    Skooter, Hogges, buckthedog and 2 others like this.
  20. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Skooter likes this.