Where are your XT250's...let's see them.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MEDIC-0372, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Logger06

Logger06 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ProCycle Tail Light & Fender mod turned out really nice.

IMG_0005.jpg
    jrw600, WettBanditt, AZ TOM and 9 others like this.
  2. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    I had been curious about that kit, but the photo on the site wasn't good at all, so I didn't know what to expect. Thanks for posting that! I may have to get one.
    Logger06 likes this.
  3. buckthedog

buckthedog Eastbound and down

Oddometer:
    Looks like a nice addition.
    Logger06 likes this.
  4. carlb48

carlb48 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all, I have a 2019 XT250 and need your help. The other day I was decending a steep road
    I down shifted to slow down and heard a pop. When I got home I see oil leak leaking out from
    where the starter is mounted to the crankcase . Got a parts sheet for the crankcase cover and the starter clutch. I don't see a seal that could have blown out.

Got a parts sheet of the starter yesterday. It does show a oring on the starter housing
    can anyone help me with the remove and install instructions of the starter
    Thanks Carl
  5. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    carib, I also couldn't find a seal for the starter motor connection. There is the seal over the cover just beyond the starter motor, part number 30 on:
    https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2014/xt250-xt250e/crankcase-cover-1

However, I think you would have found that, so I doubt it's what you want. My guess is the hose has come loose, or off, of the air induction system (AIS) pipe, just above the starter motor. This is the only recall for the fuel injected XT250 (2013 and later). My 2014 was one of the bikes that had this failure, and the recall provided a longer pipe to help keep the heat from melting the hose, but I suspect that some bikes could still have this problem. My hose was re-attached by the dealer, but came off again. Then they put a new high-temperature automotive hose on it, and the problem never came back. However I later found some melting of insulation on some of the wiring under the fuel tank (when the hose comes off, hot gasses come out of the pipe). Finally, I made a metal blanking plate to blank off that pipe where it attaches to the cylinder head. Many others have also done that, or taken out the whole AIS system. You can actually buy a blanking plate, now, but I don't know where.

Conclusion: if this is your problem, don't ride farther than necessary before re-connecting that hose, or blanking off the pipe. The new (2015 and later) pipe is part 7 on:
    https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2019/xt250-xt250k1/cylinder-head

Good luck, whatever the challenge is.
    koh kood, AZ TOM, tlrmark and 2 others like this.
  6. carlb48

carlb48 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks I will be looking closer at it
    Cheers Carl
  7. ESNystrom

ESNystrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am trying to find an answer to a question I have. On Yamaha's website they say the rear shock has rebound adjustability. I have looked in the owners manual, factory service manual, and searched online, to no avail. Does anyone have any clues?

Attached Files:

8. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    NicKel78 likes this.
  9. ToadRoad

ToadRoad The reluctant thrill seeker

Oddometer:
    00M0M_i9AB5V8ikCez_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

Just got this 2017. 2700 miles, bedliner paint job. Seller said everyone told him not to bedliner it because he'd never be able to sell it, but I have been dying to bedline my Tacoma so I think it's cool as hell. Thing is all scratched up, it's more scratch than bike, but I can just re-spray it and it'll be great. Not sure what he was doing with this thing but I bet it was fun
  10. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Plastic is largely irrelevant.... easily replaced. As long as the rest of it is in decent shape, and the price is right, go for it.

My $3500 2019 XT250 is in great shape. Granted with 13k miles on it, it's need some stuff... it got new brake pads on both ends and is due for a chain and sprockets. I also have a Cogent sock on order because the stocker is a freakin' POGO STICK above 15 mph. The rest has been great though.
    WettBanditt and ToadRoad like this.
  11. carlb48

carlb48 n00b

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

12. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    carlb, the service manual has an exploded view, like the one in the parts list, and at the bottom it says "For assembly, reverse the disassembly procedure", but there IS NO disassembly procedure. However there IS a slight assembly procedure:
    XT250 Starter Motor Assembly.jpg
    Looks like you just remove the wire and those two bolts holding it down, pull it out, and remove the two long bolts.

There's also quite a bit about measuring things, etc. but nothing seems to mention oil in there, or be of interest in looking for leaks.

There's a pretty big section on the starter CLUTCH, but from your pictures, I suspect the leak is past the O-ring on the outside of the "nozzle" of the starter motor, Item 5 on the starter motor parts list. It looks like the present part number supersedes the original one, so maybe there was a challenge with that seal?

If that's not it, maybe it's the shaft seal, which might be that item just behind the roller bearing, neither of which seems to be available separately.

By the way, it seems possible that crankcase oil may come out when you remove the starter motor, so I'd either drain the oil, or lay the bike on it's right side first (or verify the whole "nozzle" is above the oil level).
    NicKel78 likes this.
  13. NicKel78

NicKel78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JB44 likes this.
  14. carlb48

carlb48 n00b

Oddometer:
  15. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    You guys a great!

So far I haven't had any issues with my XT but if I do you'll be hearing from me.
  16. ROCKETMANN

ROCKETMANN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 2015 XT250, Many mods and upgrades. Seat concepts seat, Cogent Dynamics suspension, Heated grips, FMF power core, 12v plug, 20 watt spot light, HID headlight, Skid plate, Barkbuster with folding mirrors, etc..etc.. View attachment 2804647 video of my updates
  17. ROCKETMANN

ROCKETMANN Adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. ToadRoad

Oddometer:
    Says 2017 in your text but 2015 in the video intro. I'm too new to see for myself which it actually is.
  19. ROCKETMANN

ROCKETMANN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for noticing.. It is a 2015...
    ToadRoad likes this.
  20. ToadRoad

Oddometer:
    Fantastic build! I'm going to watch this again in the morning.