Where are your XT250's...let's see them.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MEDIC-0372, Nov 4, 2008.

1. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Jenna, tires are naturally a frequent topic on this thread, and the search function has been really effective the last couple of years (before that, not so much). Just click the magnifying glass icon in the upper right, click the box beside Search this thread only, and enter "tires" on the top orange line.

Those Tractionators look really rad, though.

If expecting sticky mud, do raise the front fender a bit, whether you use oversize tires or not. Everyone seems to add strips to raise them vertically. At first, I thought they should also go back a bit, to maintain equal distance from the tire, but then I decided that letting the back of the fender be a bit closer is a good idea. It can act as a mud scraper, keeping the rest of the fender away from the mud.
    Gil Favor and JB44 like this.
  2. georgej

georgej Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had an upholsterer add some height to their seat? I got a price of $130 for an inch of foam and a new seat cover. The seat concepts kit is $180,but there is an 8-10 week wait.I'm wondering if the upholsterer can make it as good as the seat concepts. He folded the foam over the seat which would make it wider as well. I'm also thinking I can buy some foam and vinyl and do it myself. I put. one inch piece of foam under my Maddog seat pad. It helped but I'm not 100% satisfied with it after riding a few times.Anyone here do there own?
  3. OHjim

OHjim Long timer

Oddometer:
    There’s also the Tusk D-Sport tires from Rocky Mountain ATVMC to consider.
  4. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been able to test the Tusk D-Sport tires in the mud and in the dry. I had a bit of an issue with the front tire filling up with mud and not evacuating the mud. The mud was pretty thick and sticky and the low rear portion of the front fender was stock and probably had something to do with it. It made riding the bike in the mud like riding with a slick up front. The rear tire did great. A modified front fender might have made it a non-issue.

Going back and riding at the same place a few days later, with most of the mud gone, and the Tusk tires were fine. They were certainly better than the stock tires in the dirt and sand, but then again, the stock tires on my bike were from 2008, having just bought the bike in February with about 1100 miles on it. The Tusk tires are equally fine on pavement.

I guess the best thing about the Tusk D-Sport tires is probably their price.
    OHjim likes this.
  5. NicKel78

NicKel78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would be concerned that you would spend a bunch of money on supplies and end up with very unsatisfactory results. The shape and density of the foam is considerably more important than the thickness. I’m sure there are some great upholsterer’s out there that could do a custom seat but if it’s high-quality it’s going to be very expensive. The only way to keep it reasonable is to shave factory foam and replace it with a different density. The moment a custom cover has to be made because the shape changes then patterns have to be made and that’s where the cost starts going up. I would be wary of the quote you got also. Unless the guy specializes in motorcycle seats then you are likely not going to get a very worthwhile product from the base description you gave.

I would just order the Seat Concepts. When I ordered mine it came significantly faster than what the stated leadtime was.
  6. georgej

georgej Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice NicKel. The guy I went to is an auto upholsterer. He talked about the foam and shaving it to shape the seat. As I started reading your reply I'm thinking I'm just going to order the Seat Concepts seat and wait. Did you order the seat or the foam and cover kit?
  7. NicKel78

NicKel78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered the tall comfort foam and cover kit. The XT does not have a complete seat option. Watched the video before hand and it went pretty well. Just make sure you have the proper stapler and staples (material and length) ahead of time. Not sure right now but stainless and monel staples were in a bad shortage for a long time. Once on, it took 3-4 rides to break in and then I wondered why I waited so long to get it. But I also thought the same thing about the Pivot Pegz, the bar risers and especially the Cogent rear shock.

2C31D4E0-0C32-4D46-B88A-33990009D16F.jpeg
    KimPossible and JB44 like this.
  8. Hiff-Hiffs

Hiff-Hiffs Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello! We just brought home a 2019 XT250 with less than 800 miles for my first bike. I am 5'5" and have a rather short inseam so the XT's height and approach-ability as a first bike seem about perfect. So far, I have had her out for a couple rides in at a friend's house and some practice in parking lots. Love this little bike! Safely got the first drop out of the way, so now the bike and I are all set to go places!

PS I posted in the other XT thread too. Wasn't sure which XT thread is completely for what and haven't finished catching up on all 500+ pages here. :)
    upload_2021-7-27_21-14-17.png
  9. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Nice. You're gonna love it. As to which XT250 page to use, this is the original, and as you can see, larger, page. Somebody didn't like the name, so they started a new one. It probably doesn't matter which you use, because most of us owners likely follow both.

Anyway, welcome aboard.
    MEDIC-0372 likes this.
  10. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Tip, loosen the laver mounts to the handlebars so you can move them with some pushing and that will prevent the levers from breaking or bending when you drop the bike.
    Instead of breaking, they will just rotate on the bars.

Its no fun being far from home with no clutch lever....

Hiff-Hiffs likes this.
  11. saywut

saywut Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Good Morning All,

I love the idea and look of the XT 250 and am just starting to surf around for one. Would one of you kind folk please post a QUICK summation of the overall differences (if any at all) between newest to older within reason ie disc brake/drum brake, carb/F.I. that kind of thing. I see a 2010 for sale not too far away, looks perfectly fine by my high standards. Any benefit to more money to get a latest model? Tanx!
  12. ESNystrom

ESNystrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For the most part, the only difference is that Yamaha wisely went to fuel injection beginning in 2013. Other than that, color differences. Great, bulletproof motorcycle. Has enough power, not intimidating at all. Low seat height is great, especially on trails. Rides awesome on/off road. Suspension is a little lacking, but what do you expect from an entry level dual-sport.
    KimPossible likes this.
  13. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Fuel injection is nice, Yamaha did a great job with it, instant throttle response, my XT ran perfect at all times.
    No other difference between this gen model, the old ones from the 80's were great also, lighter, but were kick start only and 6 volt electrics.

Very good overall bike, but the suspension is quite poor off road, it will beat you up.
    That and a hard seat takes its toll. Both can be fixed with money.
    The engine is great, as is the transmission and clutch, weight is reasonable and low in the frame.
    Ground clearance is great.
    70 mph is no problem.
    The instruments are kind of poor by modern standards, it takes tools to get to the tools, to get the dumb plastic parts off takes 2 or 3
    different allen wrenches and some screws are in hard to get at/see spots.

The gas tank is bigger then most at 2.6 gallons but a FI bike does not like to be run low on gas, with a carb, you do not care and getting a bigger tank is easy as all it needs is a petcock hole.

Overall, a fine bike, the suspension is the worst part, its harsh because its just fixed damping.
    Stock it has low profile tires and a thin seat which makes it much more painful.

I would say the KLX230 is a much better bike, but its taller.
    If you find an XT for a low price, snag it and improve it.
    Inexpensive fork work, a rear shock and a seat concepts seat kit will make it a GREAT dual sport.
  14. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Yes, loosening the lever mounts is a great idea, and the hand/lever guards you already plan is even more important, but I'd still recommend carrying a spare lever for each, brake and clutch, on long trips. Not too expensive, or heavy.
  15. KLX250s

KLX250s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Newer XT'S have rear disc brakes vs drum, not sure what year it started. Issue about running the tank empty is solved by hitting a gas station soon when the red low level fuel light comes on. When that light is on you have about a 1/2 gal of fuel left. You can burn 2 gals of fuel before worring about more gas vs just a 2gal tank.
  16. Dualsport Chic

Dualsport Chic Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. HeadPoseur

HeadPoseur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So hey folks, I haven’t been participating on the thread or riding my 2009 XT250 much over the past few years so it’s for sale on the ADVRider marketplace if y’all know anyone that could appreciate it. It’s got less than 4500 miles on it for less than $3K. It’s farkled up just a little. DDDDF16A-0C4F-4838-A74B-B30FD34FA5F9.jpeg 49C4B727-8930-44B0-BE45-06F031819F58.jpeg
  18. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    NicKel78 likes this.
  19. georgej

georgej Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just wondering. Would you sell or trade you perfectly fine carbureted XT for a new fuel injected model?
  20. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Yes. Instant start and go and great throttle response at any altitude The XT won't be available much longer so make an FI model the keeper. Someone with shallower pockets will appreciate your carb XT.