Where are your XT250's...let's see them.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MEDIC-0372, Nov 4, 2008.

1. rifraf410

rifraf410 Where's 6th gear?

Oddometer:
    Interested in your route from Seattle to MT Baker. I'm also in Seattle but new to dirt riding, looking for places that don't require hauling the bike to get to some trails.
  2. AdventuresofJB2

AdventuresofJB2 Dystopian Scavenger

Oddometer:
    We took backroads from Woodinville to Duvall - Munroe - Lake Roesiger - Granite Falls - Darrington - Concrete and camped there for a few days as a base camp to go find trails. We avoid highways on these bikes unless we have no choice. Seattle drivers are terrible, but we barely encountered other vehicles on the route we took.

3. KLX250s

KLX250s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone put bar risers on an XT250? Do the cables need to be replaced with 1in risers? Any other issues need to be aware of? Thinking about doing this to be more of an upright seating position.
  4. AdventuresofJB2

AdventuresofJB2 Dystopian Scavenger

Oddometer:
  5. KLX250s

KLX250s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Adv, Think I need those for a more upright position.
  6. irlvnt

irlvnt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just did this last night. I used the Tusk 30mm risers. Went for a short ride today and it does seem better but I will need a multi hour ride to see if there is real improvement. Standing is better too, I don't feel like I'm reaching down into my lap for the bars.
    I also rotated the bars away slightly which put a little more slack in the cables. There isn't any problem with cables with the 30mm spacer but it doesn't look like there room for much more. I kind of want a wider bar too but that also will add some distance for the cables. I thought I'd try this cheap route ($20) first to see if I'm on the right track.
  7. irlvnt

irlvnt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know what this part is for: 4RR-26129-00-00
    It is a metal washer that sits between the left hand grip and the turn signal switch. It has a bent over tab on it that I imagine is supposed to fit somewhere but mine just kind of floats and jingles around making noise. For months I've heard this rattling thinking it was my keys, then I thought the clutch lever. Today I took closer look and saw this for the first time. It doesn't seem necessary and I'm about to pull it off and toss it.
  8. millman84

millman84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have removed that metal piece from mine and have had no ill effects. I do not know what it is for.
  9. georgej

georgej Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. JClaffee

JClaffee n00b

Oddometer:
    20211023_141750.jpg Got out for a quick ride from home. About 6 miles of pavement and 35 miles of dirt up high. Nice day to be outside. Winter's around the corner so any riding will head for the desert soon.
    jon_l, RC., manx16 and 1 other person like this.
  11. jtice

jtice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joined the XT250 club last week!
    So far LOVING this bike. Was away from dualsports for a while and missed being able to explore.

Just installed a 16T sprocket to try, only had it down the street and back, ehhhhhh not sure yet.
    Stock, 1st seems way too low, and I was trying to get the rpms down in 5th over 60mph
    But my butt dyno thinks I might have lost too much torque,
    oh well, was $20, worth trying out for a while.

[​IMG]
    jon_l, MEDIC-0372, RC. and 6 others like this.
  12. Baja_Bound

Baja_Bound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Absolutely stunning photo!
  13. jtice

jtice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tried out a 16T Sprocket on my 2020 xt250 the other day,,,,,, meh, not for me.

I tried it, cuz with the stock gearing, 1st is so low you shift after moving 10 ft, a bit annoying on pavement.
    I was also curious about getting the rpms down some in 5th when doing over 55 mph.

Result?
    First felt pretty good on the pavement, you could stretch it out way further before shifting, 2nd and 3rd felt stretched out a bit also.
    5th gear, mixed results. Yes, at 55 to 65 mph it was at a better rpm and didnt sound like you were ringing out the engine nearly as much.
    BUT, if you so much as LOOKED at a hill, you had to downshift to 4th. (I live in WV, its all hills)
    The loss of bottom end torque was fairly noticeable.
    Coming out of a turn going up hill you would crack the throttle and , meh. The bike would slooooowly pick up rpm.
    Before, with the stock gearing, while no power house, the bike would not feel or sound bogged down, and would sweep up in rpm nicely.
    There were several times I would crack the throttle and the bike would feel a bit bogged down. That got on my nerves quick.
    With stock gearing, while yes I was always at a bit higher rpm, the bike was just more responsive, and you could tell the engine was just happier.

I barely tested the 16T offroad, but I dont think I would have liked it there either.
    Stock gearing, 1st is a tractor offroad, you dont ever feel like you are going to stall the bike when starting out, dont feel like you need to slip the clutch much.
    I also have a buddy with a Trail 90, and feared I would not be able to keep a slow tractor pace with him with the faster 16T gearing.

All in all, it was worth trying, about $22, and about 20 minutes to swap.
    IF you lived in a very flat area, I could totally see this being a good gearing, on FLAT ground, the bike never felt bogged, but hills? Nope.
    I am about 196 lbs. for reference.
  14. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    My XT was the first bike that I have owned on which I did not lower the gearing via sprocket changes.

If you have an aftermarket skid plate the reflected engine noise will bounce off it up to your ears.

I put two layers of dynomat on mine and it helped quiet the bike.
  15. jtice

jtice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just installed a skid, placed a bit of dynomat like sheets on it, but yea, even with that its a very noticeable difference for sure.
    I might try to add another layer if there is room. Unpleasant clackety sound it reflects up.
  16. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those sounds breed a bit of paranoia.
  17. jtice

jtice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    haha every damn time.
    Pretty much every vehicle and bike I have had, has that one odd sound that stands out to you and makes you think the motors about to detonate.
  18. gseur

gseur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have the same with my Tricker since the skid plate. The plastic one is a bit better.
  19. irlvnt

irlvnt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Who makes a plastic skid plate for the XT250? I've been looking and can't find anyone that does, only aluminum.
  20. gseur

gseur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yamaha has made one for the Tricker (same). Unavailable now. But you can find on Aliexpress or Webike.