Where Can I find Miles of Dirt Close to Austin, TX?

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by Engine698, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Engine698

Engine698 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have lived in Austin for over a year and I am still struggling to find the miles of dirt my KLR and I need... Where do I need to go? I am looking for day trips and weekend trips. I'll ride pavement to get there, I just need endless dirt roads. I am an TEXAS, why can't I find this?

I have ridden big bend. Awesome, but far.... I would love to find something within 30 miles...

Does this exist?
  2. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haha... brilliant minds think alike. I just started this exact thread over here...

Bottom line is, we either need to find the stuff we're missing or we just don't have a lot of options, esp. 30 miles from town. The fact that you're in Texas is actually working against you (as a dual sporter) to some extent, since the majority of Texas is private property.

My next exporatory rides will be south towards Gonzales and north towards San Saba, but on the western side of Lake Buchanan...
  3. ghostrider1964

ghostrider1964 Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer:
    How far ya want to go? I am about 100 miles north of Austin. I have miles of dirt roads and lors of creek crossings. I invited a group of ADV riders from DFW on assorted GSs, Tigers, and Stroms and most looked at me crazy for crossing a concrete lowwater crossing with 6 inches of water. I crossed one yesterday with 2 foot of water over it. I ride everyday for the most part.:1drink
  4. DocAxeYarYar

DocAxeYarYar RideDualSport.com

Oddometer:
    Hi you might try this group of local Austin homies that do some dualsporting around here:
    http://ridedualsport.com/forum/index.php?topic=466.0

Hope that helps!
  5. K_N_Fodder

Oddometer:
    Hey Ghostrider, may have to take you up on that sometime but that's at the extreme edge of my out-and-back range :) I figure this is about it for me... I have a healthy respect for deep and slippery water crossings but I've done a few of them. I'm 1 for 2 on surviving the James River Crossing south of Mason.

Ahhh yes the Austin Urban DS guys. Every time I think I'd like to try it, you guys post up a picture of bushwacking through some brushy canyon in the middle of the night and it scares me off :D
  6. Engine698

Engine698 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah, I can head up there! That riding sounds exactly what I am looking for. You straight up 35? I am off on Friday :). I could be there at 8 am!

I used to race motocross so I know how to crash...
  7. Engine698

Engine698 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    KN Fodder- When do you guys ride? As I just mentioned to Ghost rider, I am off this friday and want to hit some dirt!
  8. Engine698

Engine698 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Buell- That does help, thanks! Let me know when you hit the trails. After looking at the pictures, I see you are riding super close to the airport? WFT! where the heck are those trails? I live in downtown austin...
  9. K_N_Fodder

Oddometer:
    ARg... wifey is racing her MTB on Juan Pelota's (Lance Armstrong :D) ranch next weekend, so I'm on kid duty. Let me know how it goes. I need to get off my butt and ride with the Urban DS guys...
  10. ghostrider1964

Oddometer:
    WELL MY GAWD!!! We have takers:clap I have crashed but try to avoid it as much as possible:lol3 4 knees surgers and all the stainless and titanium screws and plates get touchy in the cold:eek1 I rode this morning but avoided the deep water, 35 degrees this mawning! How many and when! We would not be too far from the Horny Toad in the Gap if yall have heard of it. Good food and beer for those who might need a libation:evil
  11. ghostrider1964

Oddometer:
    If you are serious I can take off! the weather is suppose to be good. You on KLR? BTW u fireman?
  12. DaWhip

DaWhip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yah, come hang out with us at the ride dual sport link. We'll get you in some fun stuff. I sent you a PM.
  13. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Head out towards Llano and ride dirt ranch roads. Yes, Texas is mainly private property and should be respected. As A land owner I know that this right of ownership is highly guarded. Respect the land or ask first or you may be in trouble. Trust me.
  14. DaWhip

DaWhip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent point. And guys that love their land also love their guns:wink:

The Austin urban dual sport bunch will find you some fun, but we don't like pissing people off, nor do we like to tangle with the law, so we keep to legal areas.
  15. JR KLR

JR KLR 1200GS & RT currently in the garage

Oddometer:
    There are tons of dirt roads within 30-60 miles of Austin. In fact, the reason I got a KLR in my stable was that so many roads in Texas turn into dirt quite quickly. I ride on all kinds of dirt roads between Austin and Llano and onto Mason and San Saba.

I have posted some of these routes on my "happy Trails" account- but I have to admit the rides posted have a real mix of dirt/road. I need to put together and post several rides that are almost exclusively dirt.

Granted these are all dirt roads- and not necessarily off road trails- but I assume that is what you are looking for- and tons of water crossings!
  16. Engine698

Engine698 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ghostrider: I am totally serious:clap

I have a meeting I just found out about on Friday that may screw things up a little. I will know by 5pm or so today if I can get out of it. I would love to be up there early. What town are you in so I can look at the distance to get up there?

Yep, I used to be a Wild Land fire-fighter (Engine 698 out of Gunnison, CO). Best Job I ever had.
  17. Engine698

Engine698 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh, I am on my KLR. I would just ride it up there. Just me. I am the only one who can take the day off on Friday.
  18. ghostrider1964

Oddometer:
    We are now looking at Sunday. I can go for several hours, watching the weather, Friday would have been bad 80% rain, Sunday is suppose to be clear.:1drink
  19. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    So when were you ever afraid of rain? Go anyway, the low water crossings will be more fun. And less pirates out clogging up the roads. Those guys hate rain. ADV riders love rain.
  20. Engine698

Engine698 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I finally got to ride some dirt around Austin and it was fantastic.

So DaWhip and I went out today. And DaWhipped me he did. I wrecked on my KLR at 30mph, bent my bars so far back they dented my tank and bent my luggage rack back over an inch.

It was awesome.

But I don't care. Because I finally got to ride some dirt:clap

Thanks DaWhip!