1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Where can I get some warmer riding gears?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by vincentmoy, Apr 29, 2010.

1. vincentmoy

vincentmoy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

So, I'm the kind of person that is always cold. I've ridden down to Dimond from E. Anchorage last weekend on the Seward hwy and by the end of the trip I was shaking. So I'm looking to get some overpants and some thicker gloves and not spending too much.

Do you guys have any good places?

Thanks!
  2. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    Ummm, ever hear of "Alaska Leather"?

From what I understand the gal that runs it has the best selection of stuff in town. Of course you know how rumors get started.
  3. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Yep, some of us make it a priority to invest in quality gear. But here are a few low cost tips that'll make a big difference.

First, make sure your helmet has a chin curtain on it. A Shoei chin curtain fits into most brands of helmets and really cuts down on wind around your face. Maybe wear a thin balaclava too.

Another good trick is to put a folded up newspaper in front of your chest. It adds insulation and helps fill in the gap in a jacket created when you reach forward to the bars. Make sure your neck is well covered by a turtle neck or something too.

Hands are a tough one. If you don't already have some nice winter recreation gloves you want to wear while riding, some less expensive well insulated motorcycle gloves with nice gauntlets can be had.

Good luck, Mark H.
  4. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mark hit the nail. Layering up with non cotton clothes, neck covers (dickies) and even throwing some hand warmers in the gloves work for me.
    Try the flea market here, I've found some good
    deals on heated vests.
  5. ADVBMR

ADVBMR Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer:
    You can get by with some ski gloves for warmth but you won't have the protection. As for pants, you should seriously think about biting the bullet and make the investment. My First Gear pants (bought at Alaska Leather)are warmer than others I have, waterproof, have great protection and lasted for quite a few years now. I use a turtle fleece neck gaiter for any ride longer than a half mile, and it's the best inexpensive accessory I've found. I used to carry a piece of cardboard to put inside my jacket over my chest and wore a down vest. It was better than nothing but I found a deal on a heated jacket liner this winter and there's nothing like it.
  6. AKmud

AKmud Muddy Gruver

Oddometer:
    +1 for First Gear stuff.

I have the Kathmandu jacket and pants which have zip out liners. ~$500 for the set, but it is really warm, has armor, and is waterproof. I have ridden down to 27* and it was fine for an hour ride. I wouldn't want to spend all day in those temps, but at 35-40* it would be no problem.
  7. akkurt

akkurt Rode hard

Oddometer:
    Layers...

Layer one; Polypropylene! Socks, long underwear, long sleeve under shirt.

Layer two; Fleece Good quality thick fleece with gathers at ankles and waist

Layer 3; Lined first gear pants. Windproof parki pullover Big bulky thick fleece baklava pulled down around neck, and tucked under parki

Layer 4; Lined Olympia jacket.

Boots; Danner high tops with thinsulate. (rockies are warmer)

Gloves; Good quality lined leather with thinsulate. Break them in good first otherwise you will never feel your heated grips.

Shoie modular helmet with the vent closed. I pop the front at stop lights so it doesn't fog up.

Hands still get a little cold so I may try some heated gloved when it gets cold again.

Leather riding gear is either to hot or too cold, sell it to somebody who would rather look cool, than ride everyday.

Go to Alaska leather, bring your wallet, tell them your cold. They will fix you right up.
  8. Kay9Cop

Kay9Cop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm probably one of the odd balls in that I like leather. I condition my leathers every fall when I'm done riding and they stay flexible and strong. If the leather is well conditioned it will repel water. I rode from Anchorage to Fairbanks in my Harley FXRG gear and never got wet. The jacket and pants have windproof panels behind all of the zippers, so no wind gets in uless I want it to. The venting works pretty well as long as I'm at 45mph or higher, but leather is definitely hotter than nylon. I've ridden down to 8* and not been cold in my leather gear, but I used the same layering principles already mentioned.

I'm not necessarily opposed to nylon/cordura gear, but not all cordura is the same. Only 1000 denier cordura is stronger than leather. The more common 500 and 600 denier cordura is less than half as tear resistant in a crash. Suits like the Aerostich Roadcrafter, one that I'm considering purchasing, are 500 denier in the body and 1000 denier at the ballistic panels. The 500 denier is more flexible, lighter, and cheaper, but at least on the Roadcrafter, isn't used to cover the back and butt, two areas I think are likely to take impact in a crash. So if you're going to buy nylon gear, take a close look at the construction.

One thing about dressing for the cold...wear looser fitting boots and gloves if you can. You need to add layers and still have some dead air to keep warm and circulate. This can be very difficult to do on a motorcycle. I wear boots two sizes bigger during the winter. I also wear large mittens over regular insulated motorcycle gloves. If you get the mittens large enough and use one of those cords that go on under your sleeves like your Mom used to make you wear as a kid so you wouldn't lose your gloves, you can just shake off the mitten if you need the dexterity.
  9. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    I am a BIG FAN of the hippo hands...

[​IMG]
  10. Kay9Cop

Kay9Cop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You know, I've never tried those things but I may this fall.
  11. See-Double-You

See-Double-You Long timer

Oddometer:

Firstgear makes an overpant which isn't too expensive ($150ish) and it's available in short/reg/long sizes. I'm pretty sure Barb @ alaska leather can hook you up.
  12. AKmud

AKmud Muddy Gruver

Oddometer:
    I haven't used them on my road bike, but they work VERY well on the wheelers in the winter! Combined with hot grips, hands stay toasty. :thumb
  13. AK Bear

AK Bear Long timer

Oddometer:
    How big are you? I've got some good first gear stuff, insulated pants and a coat with a liner that are well used that I seem to have out grown. I'll donate them for $100. With an electric vest it is an unbeatable combination. They will fit a 40 or 43 inch chest and a33to 35 inch waist very well.

I have some warm ski gloves I'll throw in if I can find them, but that's a big "if".
  14. See-Double-You

See-Double-You Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Bear, that reminds me of something. I'm PMing Philspace to see if we can get our own FS thread sticky like the other regionals have.
  15. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    I keep seeing guys talking about buying or selling used, outgrown clothing and very ofter parts.......

Any interest in having a ADV swap meet?

Find someone to let us use their parking lot. Everyone just bring a table or something along with the Sale/Trade items and just hang out?

Pretty simple.

Interest?
  16. Andrewmc

Andrewmc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a great idea. I'd go.
  17. AK Bear

AK Bear Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those are some good ideas. I'm going to be on a ride from the 5th till the 17th so please wait till I'm back!
  18. PistonPants

PistonPants Crankcase Scavenger

Oddometer:
    For the hands there's no substitute for heated grips.

Piston
  19. ADVBMR

ADVBMR Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer:
    No way. We were planning on selling all your shit while you're gone! Have a great trip!
  20. PowerT

PowerT Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    For me the best non-electric item I have is the Klim balaclava with windstopper gore. Of course the best electric is Gerbings. It feels like cheating...warm cheating but cheating.