Where did all the middleweight sport touring bikes go?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by FranknStein7, Jul 13, 2021.

1. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    Ehhh...maybe.
    All day comfort? I'd question that. And this is only one of two pics I found in a Google image search of one with luggage. Wind protection? LOL

[​IMG]
  2. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a really good example of what I mean by manufacturers NOT innovating. Let me explain...

I'll bet that while you enjoyed the convenience of pushing a button, what you REALLY liked was the infinite adjustability of the screen, so you could get it exactly where you wanted it for whatever riding environment you were in.

There is simply no reason why that can't be done without the motor, and on the fly. Mechanically adjustable shields don't need to be 2 positions only, like they are on the big GS and Multistrada; they are only 2 positions b/c the engineers are lazy. With a little creativity, those could be infinitely adjustable, with a mechanical lever used on the fly.
    Johann likes this.
  3. GeoAggie

GeoAggie Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very true. But with an electric screen it's easy while I keep me eyes on the road and I can get it just right. Up on the straights or cold, down in the corners and hot. I absolutely see your point but optionality is good. The original RT's were very light weight compared to today's touring bikes.

For me (age and sports injuries), the key attributes for a middle weight ST are a fairly upright riding position, decent wind protection, adjustable ergonomics and relatively light weight.
    Ctscrambler likes this.
  4. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    The 2010 R1200RT was listed as 571 lbs wet. The 2021 R1250RT is 615 lbs wet.

I get your point about convenience. but neither of these could possibly be considered light. Have to give up something to get something. Not wanting to give anything up gets us where we are: bloated pigs with every gimmick possible.
  5. GeoAggie

GeoAggie Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, great balance on the RT's as I had forgotten the wet weight figures! The Ducati MTS has a very functional, one-handed adjuster for the wind screen and a design worth implementing or improving on for a more traditional ST. I'm thinking a new ST2/3. In the absence of modern ST's I bought a KTM 890 Adventure and find it quite comfortable. I'm still tweaking the windscreen but good platform for me ergonomically. But, imagine a more traditional 890 ST with a bit more fairing, adjustable screen etc.
  6. LuvPop

LuvPop adv poser

Oddometer:
    I recently posted in another thread where I used those exact words, "game changer", in reference to electric screens. I also advocated for ergonomic adjustability from the factory. Amazingly, I seemed to get criticized for it! (Luddites, I guess). I'm glad you guys "get it". Seems like you'd get best of both worlds: protection from cold, wet, buffeting, and/or noise when needed, but also can quickly, easily lower it for better airflow and visibility.

Also, my 2016 GS has manual, infinite screen adjustability, not just 2 position, but it's only through a 2" range. I think at least 5" is needed for the full advantage to be realized.
    GeoAggie likes this.
  7. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would be super cool if they had position memory or could be programmed to go to certain positions based on speed.
    LuvPop likes this.
  8. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think Yamaha does this pretty well, too. The OEM bag mounts on the Tracer are about as unobtrusive as they get. See if you can pick them out:

Yamaha Tracer 900GT_18_03.jpg

Yamaha-Tracer-9-01.jpg

The top box rack is missing from both of these photos, but it's available.

The Tracer GT seems to tick all the mid-weight sport touring boxes unless you still hate chains.
    danketchpel and GeoAggie like this.
  9. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    Or Scuba goggles. :lol3

2021-Yamaha-Tracer-9-GT-First-Look-sport-touring-motorcycle-21.jpg

I agree, the Tracer 9 GT did a good job hiding the bag mounts. This and the F900XR are virtually identical to me...I'd lean toward the BMW b/c I like twins, my local BMW dealer and the broader aftermarket support compared to Yamaha.

And I do still hate chains. :D

That said, both bikes are that tall, gangly, ADV-clone style, not really pretty IMO, and certainly not innovative. But, yes, the closest to a middle weight sport tourer currently offered by manufacturers.

And that there is the problem. :muutt
  10. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fair. :lol2

Not sure about the aftermarket support. The Tracer 900 has been a top-5 or top-10 seller overall in most European countries since it was released in 2015, as is the mechanically-similar MT-09. The result is there's a massive aftermarket for these bikes. It's true that the 2021 Tracer 9 is all new and doesn't yet have the same aftermarket support, but that will probably change quickly.
  11. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
    I’ve done several 500 mile days, a few 1200 mile weekend and a certified BunBurner (1500 miles in 36 hours) on my 765 RS. OEM saddle and fly screen: no issues. If the bike fits, ride it.

wind protection is a double edged sword. No protection is great when it’s hot out and generally is a lot less turbulent with the wind noise.
    davidji, Matt-J2 and AwDang like this.
  12. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    You're probably right, I just don't follow Yamaha that closely. I know that with a BMW I can almost always move the bars, riders pegs, passenger pegs, seats and windscreens at will, usually with multiple quality choices; same with suspension. In the absence of manufacturers building in more adjustability, that's almost always a requirement for me on a touring bike.
  13. FranknStein7

FranknStein7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just wish Yamaha hadn't beaten the Tracer 9 (and MT-09) with an ugly stick this year.
    st2sam, KeithU and kickstandsup like this.
  14. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's controversial, for sure. It remains to be seen whether the new Tracer sells as well as the old one. My local dealer has sold dozens of FJ-09s and Tracer 900s over the last few years, and they can't seem to keep the new Tracer 9 in stock. Although that could be due to supply shortages...
  15. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    Just for sh*ts and giggles, thought this was an interesting comparison from the cycle-ergo site:

Back in the day:
    04wi0661HYSGJUyUyUyUyUy0n.png

Current (stock)
    04wi1016HYSGJUyUyUyUyUy0n.png

Big brother
    04wi1376HYSGJUyUyUyUyUy0n.png

Tracer 900 (they don't have the 9GT or the F9XR yet)
    04wi1361HYSGJUyUyUyUyUy0n.png
    dp064, TonyKZ1 and KeithU like this.
  16. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For years I toured on one of these. I'm not sure how I folded myself up onto that Triumph, but I remember feeling pretty comfortable and did several 1000+ mile days on it:

TT600_ergo.png
    TonyKZ1 and kickstandsup like this.
  17. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    Youth is wasted on the young... :rofl
    Motonirvana, CaseyJones and KeithU like this.
  18. FranknStein7

Oddometer:
    Early 30s here, and I've recently come to accept I can't ride a bike with clip-ons. I've ridden a bunch of bikes the past year, and I've found I simply do not want any weight on my wrists at all. I don't know how people do it. It kind of blows my mind. Heck, that diagram above makes me want to test-ride a Tracer.
  19. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Clip ons work great when you drop your elbow and tip in!
  20. FranknStein7

Oddometer:
    I don't doubt it. Unfortunately I can't tolerate sitting like that for more that 5 minutes :(