Where did all the middleweight sport touring bikes go?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by FranknStein7, Jul 13, 2021.

1. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, the Tracer styling and especially the dash are, uh, controversial. But at least it doesn't have a beak. :lol2
    Motonirvana and kickstandsup like this.
  2. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    True, good to point out what's wrong with the whole segment. :lol3

Both the T and F 9 are good, competent bikes that will tour well, I'm sure. But they are just what passes for middleweight sport tourers now.

Perhaps it will change, perhaps not. It will depend on what we demand.
  3. Ergo

Ergo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amen Brother! You get it. You are not alone. Preach it!

You should see the affordability of the used MV Agusta Turismo Veloce's on cycle trader. Mama Mia!

Definitely get what you are saying. Having proper hard bags that are integrated correctly into a Sport-Tourer is essential to the experience. The Italians are particularly adept at this. Not a big square sail/ankle breaker/box, but rounded airflow, narrower designs inside the exhaust routing and overall handlebar width. Allows navigating traffic in ways most of the large ADV tourers simply cannot. Look at them from behind (and a pillion's perspective) and you quickly can spot the difference.

Plus sport tourers tended to have more suspension travel than pure sport bike, but not nearly as much as an ADV tourer needs. Eliminating that extra travel allows the rider to feel the road and everything about it much more directly.
  4. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same man, I was all about the bike till I saw that johnny 5 crap I don't know why Yamaha keeps feeling the need to experiment they should have just put the TFT from the R1 on it. I mean really bikes like the Super Tenere, FJR, this bike are their juggernaut top tier bikes why they haven't updated to TFT like the rest of the industry baffles me and hurts them because when I buy a new bike I'm getting one with all the bells and whistles. Most likely BMW.
  5. CajunRider

CajunRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I watched a review last night... seems that small text and difficulty in changing settings is a common complaint.
  6. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    They only TFT screen approach that makes any sense to me is BMW's, i.e., develop one screen that gets used across multiple platforms. Developing different screens for different bikes seems incredibly dumb.
    danketchpel, Nicknewb and Madman4049 like this.
  7. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While I get what you're saying you're giving manufacturers too much credit. It's 2021 you can get 15" HD touch screens for about $150 on Amazonand as far as what shows on them it's very basic programming and gui so basic it could fit on a small SD card. They aren't really developing anything at this point, tech wise touch screens on bikes aren't difficult or expensive it's only got a wow factor because motorcycle manufacturers make it a wow factor and we buy into it. Case in point the new R1250RT with it's 10" display oh wow they put a tablet on a bike and did away with gauges when you look at it objectively it's really not that impressive even though compared to everything else on the market it's slick as hell. Zumo XT essentially tech wise is a 5 year old Android phone with built in hard case we're paying $500 for because market scarcity.
  8. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    Don't get me wrong, I think the whole TFT dash thing is a waste, and touch screens (bike and car) stupid.

BUT the only thing worse is developing a different one for every bike you sell, especially considering the volume sold.
  9. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    Kawasaki Versys? The big one. Or the small one?

Looks kinda OK. :dunno
  10. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    Friend of mine in Switzerland has a 650 Versys that he likes quite a bit. Tall bike; here it is next to my F800GT

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 6.56.59 AM.png
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  11. CajunRider

CajunRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The way they're being manufactured today, I'd completely agree... total waste.

However, I think it COULD be a useful thing if done correctly... think standardization... then you can have a group of maybe 3 or 4 different screens (shapes or sizes) utilized on many different model bikes (or cars).
    All it would take is a standardized communications set and an "Operating System" of sorts... then updates become easy, fast, and cheap.
    Blackshirt likes this.
  12. Blackshirt

Blackshirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Manufacturers who produce both cars and motorcycles might have a leg up on this. BMW turned the “mouse” on their mid-2000s autos to the “Wunderwheel” on their bikes starting in 2014. I chuckled when I first heard of this, thinking that it was just another gimmick. However, the damn thing has proven to be a bit of genius. It is even adaptable to the operation of aftermarket accessories like lights (adjusting brightness) and GPS units (scrolling through menus or expanding map view). The cruise control is another successful “car-to-bike” migration, as is ABS, TC, and SC. The tech is old by now…and well proven.
    CajunRider likes this.
  13. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    I agree, the wonder wheel is an interesting improvement/innovation. It has 2 things that touch screens sorely lack: 1. it is in one location, easily accessed without any "thought" and 2. it has some tactile feedback.

Trying to "hit" a touchscreen "button" while moving...car or bike...requires a fair amount of effort/concentration, especially when you have to dive into multiple menus. Simply not an improvement, especially on a bike.
    davidji and Blackshirt like this.
  14. FranknStein7

FranknStein7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel like this is a nice picture of the old vs. new sporting touring bike. Even though both bikes have a 17" front, the Versys is much taller with a longer suspension. I guess this in theory makes for a more neutral riding position and more plush suspension, but it also puts shorter riders (like myself) further from the deck. I'm sure the BMW feels sportier too. I would like to see more options like the old BMW.
    kickstandsup likes this.
  15. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    I agree, although on my GT I've got bar risers and a peg lowering kit that makes the ergos virtually as relaxed as any ADV bike, without being nearly as tall and gangly.

04wi1290HYSGJUyUyUyUyUy0n.png

Nice that cycle-ergo lets you "play" with the relationships.

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 9.34.17 AM.png
    Ctscrambler and FranknStein7 like this.
  16. ParkedPatina

ParkedPatina Duke of ROFLs and LMAOs

Oddometer:
    Thanks to computers and emissions regulations big bikes got lighter, small bikes got stronger. IMO.
    Blackshirt, AwDang and fecundity like this.
  17. hyena

hyena Long timer

Oddometer:
    I test rode an F800GT at a BMW dealer several years ago. At 6'2" with 35" inseam, I most assuredly didn't look like that drawing. Even the salesman shook his head, and said you don't fit on that bike. Of course, it didn't have the mods for bars or footpegs. Too bad, because I admired that bike. Nice size, loved the engine.

Sometimes I think BMW could bring back the R100RT and sell a lot of them.
    TonyKZ1 and kickstandsup like this.
  18. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a wrangler because I wanted a convertible that could tow a trailer full of bikes, not so I could go mudd’n. There’s not a lot of options in that space. So suv it was.

As for midsized touring bikes, the Benelli TRK502 is on the scene now. 500cc parallel twin, 47 horsepower. Weighs a bunch but it’s a HUGE motorcycle. It feels like a liter bike just to sit on it. Two fatties can easily fit comfortably. There is a street oriented version with 17” mag wheels, an under slung muffler, and a 31” seat height. Then there’s the X version with 2 more inches of height, 19/17 spoked rims, and a high exhaust. $6 grand gets you the base model. It’s a few hundred more for the x model.

My dealer said the optional racks and luggage were $800 extra if I bought them with the bike, which was a good deal i thought.

Yeah this is an adv bike not a sport tourer, but it is definitely midsized.

Charles.
  19. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The thing about the sport bikes is they're usually made to be ridden in a sporty manner, ie, at sporty speeds, where the wind takes a lot of the weight off your arms and wrists or where crouching down behind the windshield is advantageous.. They're not designed for going slow.
  20. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    This doesn't make sense. You want a light, sporty(er?), touring bike compared to the GS and you are going to load it up with 50 lbs of "stuff" (not including your actual luggage) to go on short trips? Yes, it will still be lighter than the GS, but it sort of defeats the purpose of getting a light, good handling, bike to go on these trips. I am saying this because that is exactly what I used to do. Get new bike, load it with full set of Givis (if it didn't come with luggage from factory). Then I weaned myself to only "needing" a topcase. Now, I install a plate for it (because there are some situations that the topcase is useful), but this is how I usually tour:

[​IMG]

The waterproof duffel weighs close to nothing, holds about 45 liters and when sitting over the rear seat like that, once you swing your leg over it, it's like there is nothing there as far as the bike's handling goes. Same load in a top case make the bike feel really light in the front (granted, the Versys is probably more sensitive to this than typical adv-touring bikes, it has a short wheelbase and the rack sits well behind the rear axle). That's the bike ready to go on a two week trip across NV, AZ, UT, CO and WY.

Gustavo