Where did you mount your Go Pro HERO camera?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by hasenwerk, May 6, 2010.

1. hasenwerk

hasenwerk Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been playing with my new Go Pro HD camera today. Purchased the Motorsport version as I really don't want a camera hanging off of my helmet. I guess with this one I could mount it to my helmet, but I am already a computer geek by trade during the day and don't want to look like one on the bike... :rofl

I attached the adhesive holder to the inside of my black windscreen so when I don't have the camera mounted there isn't an ugly wart visible on the screen. The issue that I am having is that my windscreen vibrates - actually never realized how much it vibrates until I did a test run on the bike. :eek1 Most of the reason for it vibrating is that I had to use the longer mounting arm so the mass of the camera has a bit more of a leaver affect and the click-in position holder isn't 100% tight - stuffing a piece of paper in the click together holder made it quite a bit better but it isn't perfect yet.

I tried locations like above my signal marker and next to my fog light but those positions always get part of the bike in the shot. I want a nice clear shot of the road! I also want to be able to reach it while riding.

Perhaps I am expecting too much out of this camera... the field of view is incredibly wide so that's good, but the video quality is.... yeah it's OK, but don't expect to see any broadcast quality from this as the compression of the image is quite high. It also doesn't like my 32GB SDHC card I bought so I am forced to use an old 2GB SD card and have yet to be able to get anything better than 720p on to it . . .

So... suggestions on the best place to mount it would be muchly appreciated.
  2. BeachMoto

BeachMoto Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I mounted mine on the little GSA winglet, on the left side. It isn't perfect but it does have a clear view of the road.

I leave the mount a little loose so I can swing it to a horizontal position when I am not using it. The winglet protects it from the flying junk and bugs.

I am not totally happy with this set up. I have to stop to turn it on since the camera doesn't have any indicators on the backside to show that it is on. I can reach it easy enough to push the shutter button while riding.

BTW, mine is the older model so it doesn't have the wide angle lens.

This is the best picture I could find.

[​IMG]
  3. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Put it on your helmet if you want a vibration free shot. The problem with this set up is that you can't tell if the camera is shooting or not. It also loses some perspective of hoe steep a descent/ascent is and how tight corners are due to you turning your head.

It's still the best camera out there for the money.
  4. RichinTampa

RichinTampa Sunshine/Hurricane Rider

Oddometer:
    I use RAM mounting parts attached to the top windscreen brace. (Excuse the cluttered garage shots.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I agree with tbarstow...the human body is a great vibration dampener, so helmet shots offer the least vibration. The pictured location for mounting provides good shots but bike vibration and rough road conditions do show up when the camera is mounted on the bike.
  5. Oilybimmer

Oilybimmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have one of those really small MD80 cameras, I initially mounted it on the beak, little wind noise and a great view, it even picked up the engine sounds but road vibration spoiled the image, next I tried the helmet mounting idea, much better regarding vibration and a little trial ad error got me a decent mounting angle but windnoise is very intrusive over about 20 MPH, the next idea is a velcro mount inside the helmet (I told you the camera was small)
    but I am a little worried about it picking up the whistling/swearing/singing that goes on in there.
    Stewart
  6. jantarek

jantarek Long timer

Oddometer:
    <embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid117.photobucket.com/albums/o72/jantarek/GoproheroHDreviewtestno-1.flv">
  7. jantarek

jantarek Long timer

Oddometer:
    with sticky mount to my helmet
    [​IMG]
  8. Lensgrinder

Lensgrinder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great post janterek, I'm thinking of the go pro hero for my trip to Alaska. Thanks for taking the time to demo the mounting positions.
  9. hasenwerk

hasenwerk Long timer

Oddometer:
    I videoed the 11 min ride to work this morning. Made everything super tight so the vibration was a lot less and the results were a lot better, but still not totally happy with it.

I agree that the helmet would be the least amount of vibration, but I want others to see the ride, not how I ride with my head bobbing all over the place checking for idiots. :wink:
  10. hasenwerk

hasenwerk Long timer

Oddometer:
    jantarek,
    Great post - vibration on all of your mounting position is WAY less than mine. So I think mounting at the top of the windscreen is a rather silly idea.

Looks like a RAM mount with a regular screw in camera base is in the future for me.
  11. jantarek

jantarek Long timer

Oddometer:
    thank you :D

I did try few other ways to mount the camera and you do have to make sure that it has the least amount of vibrations or you get allot of jelly effect also helps to record at 60 fps ( its not slow motion like some claim to be lol ) but it does take more room so keep that in mind, my favorite has been 720 x 60fps like in that video, 1080 is just huuuuggeeee lol, also for 20 bucks you can get a grab bag with more stickies and connectors,
    check out this free forum for gopro users they have tons of great info

click here for the forum link

have fun its a great toy :D
  12. BerndM

BerndM Shiftless One

Oddometer:
    I have the newer GoPro HD camera (FANTASTIC Video!!) and the only place I found to mount it that was worth a darn, was on the top of my helmet. I tried numerous locations on the bike (06 GS) and all sucked. The big 1200 simply shakes too much. The top of helmet location works great. If I turn the camera on BEFORE starting the bike, I can actually hear the "Beep" when I press the record button. I run external power to mine (had to make a hole in the waterproof housing for the plug) but now the battery is no longer a concern. With a 32 gig card, I can record 1080P for hours & hours.
  13. Taz1200

Taz1200 .

Oddometer:
    I mounted mine on the left turnsignal with the optional handlebar/seatpost mount i bought. It is reachable to turn on while riding and I can see the red light at that angle so I know it is running.
  14. musca999

musca999 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can tell where I mounted it from this pic on the Blue Ridge :evil
    Oops...can't upload pic. Well, it was mounted on my left mirror temporarily to capture a great stretch of road on the parkway. Results were pretty good.

PS: Why can't I upload pics? My jpg meets all requirements (ie < 146kb, < 1000x1200 pixels) :(
  15. notarat

notarat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have mounts on both sides of the Swing arm and on my helmet.

I like the rear view a lot, but there does seem to be some vibration present...

Will post a small movie soon from the viewpoint of my swing arm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRYs7zYFvdk (Turn down the volume if you don't like Social Distortion)