where do you camp when you dont wanna pay for a motel

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by txxr, Sep 1, 2004.

1. txxr

txxr Big gulps eh?

Oddometer:
    where do you find places to camp?
  2. AnnieGS

AnnieGS Namasté, bitches!

Oddometer:
  3. Boojum

Boojum I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer:

Txxr,
    You can check KOA.com for one thing. Another avenue is State Parks. They are usually pretty cheap, and clean. Out west there are several FREE places to camp. In a Natl. Forest you can camp most anywhere you choose.
    I think AAA has something on their site for camping info. Check these out. I'll bet you can get some good info.

Boojum!
    :freaky
  4. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Finding camping spots on the road is easy as long as two things are taken into consideration.

First, Yur not in a large urban area and secondly, yur not look'n for a spot during tourist season in the tourist areas.

If ya get off the beat'n track, camp sites are easy to find. :nod
  5. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    Your friendly gazatteer also provides campground information...

Just look for little tent icon -- great way to plan routes.

Generally speaking, I prefer state/national parks to the private campgrounds -- too many RV generators to keep you awake at the private campgrounds...

Good luck
  6. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    how creative are you?
    the best place to spend the night is a rural cemetary. put the bike back in the woods/ weeds and curl up behind a headstone.
    try to get there a little before dark.
    curl up and die for the night.
    alot of these have working wells to care for the grounds.
    grass is usually mowed and they are quiet places after hours.

get a bivy sack like motojoe

cheers chain
  7. azabeemerboy

azabeemerboy Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    roaming? :rofl
    theyre all in boxes 10' under beemerboy
    only roaming going on is your imagination and some coons suckin on persimons

:rofl
  9. katoom525

katoom525 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And you can bring some fresh flowers home to the mrs.
  10. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    The only scary thing is how early in the morning they turn on the automatic sprinklers...
  11. patch29

patch29 Surly Rider

Oddometer:
    Depends where you are, they are right with you in this cemetery.

[​IMG]
  12. Chopperman

Chopperman Hostile. But not Stupid

Oddometer:
    Official campgrounds are easy. But in some places at times of the year, they get packed full quickly. So plan a couple backup spots. Also, keep an open mind and eye. Sometimes you can find a nice spot on a farm. Just knock on the door and ask if it is okay to camp. I have even found an occasional abandoned building or bridge that offers shelter. But be aware of the surroundings. If there is evidence of vagrants or partiers hanging out there, it is probably not safe.
  13. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    I've asked people at convienence stores or local gas stations where a good place to camp is and have been rewarded with great spots that I never would've found on my own. I've never had good luck asking park rangers though. They've either given really confusing directions or directed me to weird campsites.
  14. azabeemerboy

azabeemerboy Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. motojoe

motojoe Arrest Cheney and Bush

Oddometer:
    I think paying to camp is like buying air.
    I dont need or want the services of a campground. Just pull off the road and sleep. fields bushes whatever. Once you start vegabonding you will never like campgrounds again. also use a bivy sac on your sleeping bag. You dont need the tent nine of ten nights anyhow.

now I wont say I did this but suffice it to say (legal reasons) I went to road america the weekend of the ama races. camping in the track 75 bucks, sold out. Camping across the road at a farm, 50 bucks and packed with no services. Camping just outside the fence in the woods surrrounding the track all alone safe and quiite was free if you had some sense and a dual sport to get outta site. What would you do?

I, er I mean the guy, even walked across the street to party with the merry makers on the temporary campground of that nice farmer. Quite fun and free.

joe
  16. EnduroJoe

EnduroJoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Out West BLM campgrounds are usually free and empty. Old mining claims seem cool, just be prepared for a flat tire and stay away from the sagebrush that buzzes.

[​IMG]
  17. Ultrafirebike

Ultrafirebike Flaccid Member

Oddometer:
    I recently took an 11 day trip (report to come soon) and had every intention of camping out all but 3 of those nights. I used hotels every night. I was always faced with dilemas. Do I stop now, or ride for another 3 -4 hours and stop when it's dar, sleep a few hours and leave after a hot shower.
    When in doubt, I always go further.
    A couple of nights were unseasonably cold, Like the night near Duluth that was 36 degrees. I wasn't planning on that in mid August. Well, I knew it would get cold, but was planning on being much further in my trip that nnight (ie: further south)

Out west there are many more free places to find than there are here on the East Coast.
    I have rudely stopped at state parks before, late at night, the kind that ask for your fee to be dropped in the box...but then showered and left before sunrise. I don't do that anymore cause I should be paying for services rendered. Butlike another poster mentioned....goo offroad and find a good hiding spot, just be prepared for the owners if you run into them later.
  18. peter Haasmann

peter Haasmann BlueFlash

Oddometer:
    How do you guys deal with all those carnivores you have lurking in your woods??? (bears/puma etc???)
    I cant imagine hearing the morning bird calls, seeing the first rays coming thru the tent flaps then hear a growl from a bloody grizzly bear,I would shit myself somewhat bigtime :rofl
    We here in down-under-heaven only have marsupials, some reptiles(although the most poisonous) and the dingo, all quite harmless unless stepped on :thumb
  19. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have never been comfortable with just picking a spot to camp on someone's land. I'm nervous about it, usually that I'll be hassled by land owners or worse, police. Nothing like a tresspassing charge to shit on a cool trip. Maybe I'm just paranoid. I guess with practice, you could get goog with finding spots, but you would likely need to do it while it's still light out, and when there is sunlight, I like to be riding. I guess it's just a different way of thinking. I probably would feel differently if I was travelling with someone. Safety in numbers and all that.
  20. Makalu

Makalu Long timer

Oddometer:
    This won't really apply to this thread about motorcycle camping, but reading the posts I couldn't help recalling what I did in a previous job. 20+ years ago I was a private investigator and us field operatives use to get a set per diem when we worked out of town (@20 days out of the month). Being the cheap guy that I was (am), I use to sleep in the back of my Toyota pickup so I could pocket the per diem.

The best place I found to sleep was in a Motel 6 parking lot. It was generally quiet, well lit, and made for a nice night of sleep. If I was smelly/stinky after a day of work, I would take a bath in the motel swimming pool (I used a biodegradable soap called Campsuds. Once in awhile I'd get a few odd looks but no one ever said a word to me). In the morning I'd fill up my ice chest with their ice and be on my way. :thumb

The price was right! :nod