where do you camp when you dont wanna pay for a motel

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by txxr, Sep 1, 2004.

1. cjflyfisher

cjflyfisher cjflyfisher

Oddometer:
    national forests, usually free, first come first serve

BLM, we all own it, why not
    Ask a farmer, they usually say yes
    picnic table at rest stop
    if I must pay don't stay at a national chain like KOA, locals are cheaper and if you have time for the swimming pool, your wasting time you could be seeking an adventure
  2. txxr

txxr Big gulps eh?

Oddometer:
    whats blm?
  3. Ultrafirebike

Ultrafirebike Flaccid Member

Oddometer:
    Bureau of Land Management
  4. cjflyfisher

cjflyfisher cjflyfisher

Oddometer:
    BLM land is taxpayer land, we all own it, there are rules of course, but you can hike, camp, even get a mining claim if you want. Just have to make sure no one else has a claim on it
  5. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you get in late and leave early, camp in the rough of the golf coarse. once again a bivy sack would work
    as kids we allways hung out on the coarse at night. picked up our trash never wrecked anything. no problems
  6. danbrew

danbrew GSAdv.com

Oddometer:
    Graveyards are not at all bad. I wouldn't worry too much about a trespassing charge - if there are "posted" signs you can always apologize and say you didn't see them. Granted, tougher if you climbed a fence or something like that. My take on it is to be in at dusk and out of there by dawn and it's a moot point. It's not like you're gonna be partying all night. Shoot, I'm asleep two minutes after putting up the tent.

[​IMG]

Also, if you look around a bit, it's pretty easy to find a place off the beaten path. If you're creative you can easily hide from the road. I'm riding an LT in both of these shots (because I haven't bought the GS yet - but, dammit, I'll have one in a month or so...), and they are a lot harder to hide than a GS.

[​IMG]

East of the Rockies make darn sure you have bug spray. I almost got eaten alive by the bloodsucking mesquitos in the graveyard above. I had that tent up and was inside it in about ten seconds!

:D
  7. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  8. patch29

patch29 Surly Rider

Oddometer:
    You can find the BLM website here for more info.
  9. safetywire

safetywire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Regarding free camping, I've used Don Wright's Guide to Free Campgrounds for a few years. If you don't mind planning the route to your destination by where the free camping is it works well.

Generally, these turn out to be camp sites located at picnic areas in small towns. Pit toilets, maybe cold running water, that's about it.

Noticed there are a few used copies on www.alibris.com for $2.95 + shipping. Can't beat that.

Note that if you buy an old version of the book, some of the info may be out of date. Some of the campgrounds listed are free only during the off season.