Where do you carry your InReach type device?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by lacofdfireman, Oct 5, 2020.

1. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I recently bought an older DeLorme InReach SE and reading the literature it says it needs to have a clear view of the sky. I’ve read that some recommend not mounting to your bike because in the unfortunate event you crash you will be separated from your bike and unable to get to your device possibly. So that basically leads me to putting it in my jacket somewhere. The issue with this is the InReach won’t have a clear view to the sky so it might not pick up satellites and be able to give off track points every 10 minutes. But maybe I’m wrong. That’s why I’m hear to ask the experts. Where do you carry your tracker?

Also any tips or tricks to improve battery life. I turned it on yesterday and without using it at all but leaving it in tracking mode and Bluetooth mode after 24hrs I’m at about 13%. Is that normal?

IMG_0546.JPG
  2. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I carry mine in the left chest pocket of my jacket, screen toward my body. Tracking works fine.
    If you started with the inReach fully charged I wouldn't consider that amount of drain normal.
    Did it get a satellite lock or was it always searching. I don't see the "3D" showing that it has a lock.
    Was it new old stock (ie: it's been sitting in the box on a shelf since new)? It could be that the battery has been sitting too long without a charge. You might want to see if the battery can be replaced under warranty, if you have warranty as the first owner.
  3. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 Jacket chest pocket.
  4. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I picked up a used one. I keep it in the tank bag (mosko nomad), it works fine in that position. On my last trip, sending 3-5 texts a day, I charged it 3x over a 14 day trip and I don't recall it ever getting very low.
  5. Mountainman13

Mountainman13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_20200903_154211_960.jpg
    On the camelback strap if im offroad. On the handlebars if not.
  6. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I keep my Spot in left front pocket of Aerostitch , It has a loop that I hitch a mini carbiner on .
  7. Stalky Tracker

Stalky Tracker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right lower sleeve pocket on my Roadcrafter.
  8. Aces&8s

Aces&8s Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Klim Badlands has the pocket on the upper arm. But with my luck I'd land on it breaking my humerus and the Inreach. So for now mine goes in the Mosko Nomad tank bag as well.
  9. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a problem. I don't wear pocketed up jackets. Don't use a camel back or a tank bag. I ride as much sand and dirt as I do pavement (time wise). Any place I put it is not ideal. I'll probably just ram mount it and be done with the dilemma.
  10. Lost-Again

Lost-Again Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I keep my inreach mini within arms reach on my body. From pockets to backpack straps.