Where do you find trails?

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by shakespear, Nov 4, 2018.

1. shakespear

shakespear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    or any offroad places to ride?

Is there a list or app?

Can I ride anywhere that ATVs are allowed?
  2. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. DualSportDispatch

DualSportDispatch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Often I read ride reports, talk to a riding buddy, or attend an organized ride and I hear about trails by word of mouth. Otherwise I read ride reports and do research to get photos, maps, and a sense of a plan. Maps like Latitude 40, state MVUM's, or website like the one that we maintain at dualsportdispatch.com have a few trails and descriptions. Some share .gpx tracks.

Here is a link to all the motor vehicle use maps by state. I use this A LOT.

If you're riding in CO or Utah I find the Latitude 40 maps to be the best.

Looking for a bigger adventure? Check out the Trans Am Trail or any ride report by BigDogAdventures here on ADV. He always has epic rides and usually includes the GPX tracks.

Google maps is a good way to spot dispersed camping spots. I keep a personal Google Map of dispersed camping spots. If I'm riding a new area I'll scope the satellite images for toy haulers and fire pits. That way I know where to park before even arriving.

The FunTreks guides are also good. Again, those are focused on western states. Lots of good riding out there!

Good luck!