Where do you keep your InReach while riding?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by lacofdfireman, Apr 10, 2018.

1. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been trying to figure out the best place to keep my Inreach as I ride. Supposedly you should have a clear view of the sky for it to work properly which means it would need to be mounted to your bike somewhere. But with that in the event of a crash your separated from your bike that could be a ways away from ya. Could also break off and who knows where it could end up.

Next idea is to wear it on your clothing somewhere. Not sure what kind of case they make or where you could hang it on your jacket to keep a visual of the sky. If you put it in a pocket which would be the most obvious place for me you lose your clear view of the sky.

So just curious how people are mounting them, what type of cases are being used etc. or do you just turn it off and put it in your pocket until you need it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  2. chasejj

chasejj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This
    [​IMG]
    motorcycle john likes this.
  3. gt750

gt750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can partially zip your breast pocket and keep the antenna poking out. The Tracker Packer looks to be the best though.
  4. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    pack it on you in case you crash...
    EnduroRdr likes this.
  5. EnduroRdr

EnduroRdr Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer:
    Formerly South MS, LR-Ar, Houston-Tx, now BR-La
    I keep mine on my person in a pocket.
    Jacket pocket if wearing one or side pocket of riding pants when it’s hot weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. sphyrnidus

sphyrnidus born to ride

Oddometer:
    Decisions, decisions.. I think the clear view of the sky is not bothered by clothing. That said I don’t like to wear things on me. I saw a friend go down and he broke two ribs due to his cellphone in his jacket.
    motorcycle john likes this.
  7. Dirtroadbandit

Dirtroadbandit Former lurker

Oddometer:
    Top pouch in my small backpack...
  8. BBJIdaho

BBJIdaho n00b

Oddometer:
    Handle Bar Mount

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Cabrito likes this.
  9. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Wolfman pillion bag on my 2015 GSA. I keep my inReach in the top pocket of that, zippered shut, with the device facing the sky. If it can signal the satellite it can and does obviously send the signal through the thin layer of fabric of the bag's exterior.

Unless you want to, you do not need to (and I wouldn't) mount the device on your handlebar, if the only reason for doing so is you think that's the only way the thing will connect to the constellation above. The reason I know this is that on the handlebar is where I initially mounted mine, for that very reason. Then later I moved it to the Wolfman bag.

Your posters here will debate keeping the device on your person versus on the bike. I used to subscribe to the "hey, if you're thrown from your bike and you need to punch the 911 button" argument, but hey, I got over it. If it's your day, it's your day.

Went to Guatemala (again) in February and had the inReach in the place described and it didn't miss ping the whole 4014 mile trip.
  10. motorcycle john

motorcycle john Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine seem to track ok on the passenger seat in my semi tractor and it haven’t been activated yet

Sent from my leap frog
  11. max384

max384 Bandaided Supporter

Oddometer:
    I either keep mine on my handlebars or in my front left breast pocket on my Klim Badlands jacket. I like having it on me in case I'm thrown from the bike, but I also like keeping it charging on my handlebars with the screen on so I can keep an eye on the statistics on the screen. What I basically do is keep it on the handlebars if I'm on the road and in my pocket if I'm offroad. I know it's not foolproof, but it works for me. By the way, I've had absolutely zero issues with it losing connectivity when in my pocket.
    Parcero likes this.
  12. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin'

Oddometer:
    Resurrecting an old thread here to remind people, as I discovered today, that sometimes the Inreach does NOT ping even though it appears it’s in the ‘wide open’.

In looking at my track today I was amazed to find...nothing. Inreach mounted on bike in exact same RAM X-holder as past few days. Only difference was I had rotated it about 25 degrees.

All I can think of is somehow the metal frame on the windscreen threw off the antenna Xmit/Rec by acting as a resonant antenna of its own on the wrong wavelength.

Lesson learned—double check your signal is actually getting out.
  13. max384

Oddometer:
    And you definitely didn't have tracking off, or other settings disabled? That's surprising such a small change would result in no service.
  14. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin'

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure it was on as I never turned it off. It was pretty weird.
  15. max384

Oddometer:
    That is weird. Did you get to test it out since then? Did you get it tracking again?
  16. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin'

Oddometer:
    Will try again today. If I got it wrong I’ll post as well.

Edit: checked tracking a moment ago & it was off. All I can think now is when I put it in the Ram x-mount I accidentally turned it off at the same time.
    max384 and SPX like this.
  17. Bike Guy

Bike Guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your track problem might have been your speed over highway 4 yesterday. As your signal couldn’t keep up. :-) LOL
    Motorius likes this.
  18. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin'

Oddometer:
    Yeah. LOL!
  19. DJWMoto

DJWMoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use the Garmin backpack tether for when riding off road but also have a mount for it on the F800GSA windscreen bars (using the garmin bike mount) for if i need to charge it when doing road sections.
  20. Jailor8

Jailor8 Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there, but usually, leaving Illinois
    Front jacket chest pocket for mine and use the supplied lanyard. Never had a issue tracking.

Of course you could mount it to the bike, and Bluetooth it to your phone, if you have your phone on you and they stay connected, you can activate/operate it from your inreach phone app. ........ Assuming your not separated from the bike so far your out of Bluetooth range.

Thinking out loud here. ...I wonder how well it would work mounted to your bike that's now twisted up and on top of it.....?