Where in ARK to visit for potential move

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by Gillus, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Gillus

Gillus High Desert Rat Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wife has a two week vacation in August. She wants to go somewhere east and green. We are in the Southern NM high desert, drier than a popcorn fart, mid 90's, mid 60's at night, humidity in the 10% category or less this time of year, darn near best year round weather in the nation. The past two years we spent 2 weeks in southern OR looking for a potential (greener)area to retire. Their winters suck, cold, wet and cloudy but very nice. Ark is east and green and lakes/rivers etc, bookoo roads to ride so......

Questions: where would be the best places to visit?? Keeping an eye open for a potential retirement place. If you had a choice where would you like to live?? Milder weather than other places in Ark?? Lower altitudes?? Further south?? Less expensive real estate/rural acreages/nothing fancy?? Relatively close to decent shopping and health care?? Are we stupid for coming in August, might experience hot-n-humid??.

Many times people grow up in an area and call it home when they could live 50 or 500 miles in a different or better place. That's why we moved from CO to NM, better weather, lo cost of living etc to semi-retire. What are your recommendations in Ark.
  2. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Well, I grew up in the SW part and I really don't care for that area. Myself, I wouldn't choose to live any place south of I 40 or much more East of MT Home., and of course nowhere around Little Rock.

I'm partial to the NW part of the state, has a lot to offer while still being economical.
  3. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not in ARk.but Granbury Texas is a great classic Texas town. Lakes, Rivers, small town with big city stores, friendly folks. August is not the best time of year to judge the area though. Also lots of green areas and nice landscapes.

In Arkansas, the NW corner is very nice.
  4. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    I like the upper part of NM :D
  5. tokyoklahoma

tokyoklahoma 75%has been 25%wanabe

Oddometer:
    I am partial to the NW corner of Arkansas. I haven't lived in the other parts, but friends and family have.

My personal favorite is Siloam Springs, close enough to Tulsa, OK 1hr 15min, or Little Rock 2hrs to get anything you may need in a "big city". Close enough to all the stuff going on in Bentonville/Rogers-Springdale/Fayetteville without having to deal with the traffic day-in day-out, and reasonable real-estate too.:deal

There are a few houses in our neighborhood for sale FYI.
    [​IMG]

And I agree with Doc, if I had to move that would be in the top three.:deal But I'm glad I don't have to.:clap
  6. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed with NW part of Arkansas. Beautiful country, decent weather, outstanding roads. I may end up there myself someday. Luckily for now, I'm only a little over an hour away.
  7. Gillus

Oddometer:
    The upper part on NM is nice. High altitude riding in the mtns and snow in the winter. It takes about 4 hours including a lunch break to get there from where I am at. Bunch better than the guys I met from Houston who rode 600 miles to get here.

These pics are nice, thanks and a "gotta see" but late October, correct??

The further north you go the colder/more winter it is but then the altitude makes for warmer temps as well. I-40 in NM is the "line" for winter.
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I was leaning towards NW Arkansas with Branson for a few days. The Walleye fishing in Greers Ferry has me interested as well.
  8. NateLePain

NateLePain The Illegitimate Painter

Oddometer:
    I grew up in Bentonville and while I love NWA, I wouldn't want to move back there and deal with the traffic. I'd rather visit.

Harrison, Clarksville, Greers Ferry, Russellville, Conway, all nice towns with access to plenty of recreation, shopping and health care.

I live about 20 miles N of Little Rock.

nlp
  9. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Traffic???? Oh right, that thing working folks have to deal with. :rofl
  10. NateLePain

Oddometer:
    The last time I was in Bentonville, getting from one side of town, to the other was awful. Like ants swarming a mound.

The street we used to setup bike ramps in and played frisby, when I was kid, is a parking lot during the day.

Speaking of work, did you lose your assembly job at Babies- R-US? :D

Thx...nlp
  11. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Bentonville? Who the fuck besides Walmart employees drive around Bentonville? :lol3 Do you live in the middle of Little Rock? No, you live 20 MILES from it, just like I live 20 Miles from Bentonville duh. Last time I checked, NWA comprises a lot more then Bentonville. :lol3

Lose a job, nope the jobs still there, I just decided to let someone else do it.
  12. NateLePain

Oddometer:
    Obvious by my NWA reference. I just picked Bentonville, because it frustrats me the most. Probably because I remember when it was a sleepy little town. :cry

nlp
  13. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Last time I lived in Fayetteville it was 1/3 the size and the UofA was half the size. After living in DFW for 20 years it still seems small here. :lol3
  14. NateLePain

Oddometer:
    Kinda like moving from a dog carrier to an outdoor pen. :lol3

nlp
  15. Wookazoid

Wookazoid Tree Basher

Oddometer:
    Don't move to the northeast corner of the state unless you want to become part of a mosquito's diet.

Greg
  16. Gillus

Oddometer:

Thanks, just the kinda comment I am looking for :eek1. Now places with less humidity than others, less snow :puke1, I have a bad back from shoveling snow in CO
  17. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Exactly! :lol3
  18. bohawk

bohawk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would recommend the Russellville area but then I may be biased since I live just north of there. Half way between Fort Smith and Little Rock on I-40. It would probably fit your "Less expensive real estate/rural acreages/nothing fancy" spec. Quick access to some of the better paved and unpaved roads in the Ozarks to the north and not far from the Ouachitas to the south. Don't know that it would matter to you, but roughly half of Arkansas' 75 counties are dry (no alcohol sales). Russellville is in Pope County, which is dry but several of the restaurants in town have licenses to sell it with your meal. There is a fairly decent sized hospital (St. Mary's) in town but the best ones are probably in Little Rock. As far as a boundary goes, I would say anywhere along I-40 between Fort Smith and Conway and then north or roughly the northwest quarter of the state. According to the NWS the average high in Little Rock for July and August is 92F but temps in the low 100's are not uncommon. Could not find humidity data but I know it is high. I was raised in Arkansas so I am used to it. Hope this helps.
  19. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anytime I am anywhere in the western half of AR I am happy. Basically like CO, just pick a spot and smile.
  20. tokyoklahoma

tokyoklahoma 75%has been 25%wanabe

Oddometer:
    Yes, that was late October.
    As far as snow goes, we usually average two days a winter of snow/ice (mostly ice). We bought our Daughter a new sled when she was 10, and she got to use it the year she graduated. It was that long between significant snowfall,:D