Where in the world is Katoomer?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Tom S, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    Yep...I'm a formally trained and degreed rock hound.:D

1) Granite and shist are mutually exclusive, one is igneous and the other metamorphic. Granite gives good traction :wink: :wink: :D

2) I haven't had time to pound on rocks long enough to find out. I'm usually running pretty fast when I'm outside the wire. I don't stop for anyone or anything......except maybe a camel in the middle of the road.:lol3

3) I can tell you that I'm re-building Afghanistan from the ground up. Building all manner of infrastructure; roads, power plants, waste water treatment plants, housing, schools, clinics and bases in support of the Afghan National Army. The projects we're building are helping to restore economic viability to one of the poorest (2nd-4th?) war-torn countries in the world.

4) Thanks Mark, it's nice to stay in touch on ADV. Looking forward to hooking up next summer. Those shots of your KLR got me lusting once again for another DS.....can you say "Super Enduro?" :wink:
  2. MotoMamma

MotoMamma Living Life

Oddometer:
    Thank you Katoomer!
    I really enjoy your knowledge! Keep the pictures and lessons coming!

Tell me......can you buy any precious stones at open markets?

Stay safe.....miss ya
    MM
  3. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

OK then Katoomer....if you're so smart.....

What REALLY happens when the shist hits the alluvial fan?????
  4. MotoMamma

MotoMamma Living Life

Oddometer:
    WOW how would you like to ride through that mud....
    how long do you think you could keep it up???? THE BIKE!!!!

QUOTE TOM....Get yer rocks off on this MM. :D
  5. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    MM, you wouldn't believe the gems for sale at the Bazaars! You can buy polished and faceted gem stones as well as the raw crystals embeded in the host rocks in which they formed. It's pretty amazing. Star saphires, rubys, watermelon tourmaline, agate, aquamarine, topaz, emeralds etc...

And for Fite, I never said I was smart........just very very good. :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
    When the shist hits the alluvial fan, I let my personal security detachment (PSD) handle the rough stuff. :evil :evil
  6. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well fite how long did you have to wait to use that line?
  7. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

I use it on the "Miss Daisy's" all the time.

It's a gift.

Thanks Katoomer for your prompt and thorough response re: shist hitting the alluvial fan.
    You da man. Keep ya head down.

OBTW.... the AUDIOS may need tires AND brakes by the time you get back. The pavement's been relatively dry.
    G'damn that thing's a runner. It really surprises those HEMI drivers...
    especially on dirt. Burma Road = big time fun.
    Don't worry about that right rear quarter panel...
    Big Frank says most of it should buff out.

AkRider, I appreciate your follow-up re: the new and improved "official" D2D07 site. Good stuff. Carry On, Fite
  8. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    I guess we won't talk about the new time record over Hatcher pass.:deal
  9. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    :rofl :rofl Fite, you and Friar sure know how to poke a guy in the ribs dontcha? You're killin me!

The thought of my Audirific being autocrossed and spanked over Burma road is enough to wake me from a sound sleep.!:eek1 :eek1

So long as the engine isn't warm and you've turned back the odometer prior to my return, I don't think I'll notice.......Frank does nice work.:lol3 :lol3
  10. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    <meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type"><title></title><meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type"><title></title><meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type"><title></title><meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type"><title></title><meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type"><title></title><meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type"><title></title>
    Don't worry 'Toomer. I introduced Woody to my good friend. :nod Now his new girlfriend!
    What with her hangin around there most FF's are skeered to git too close to the place.
    Everyone, meet Woody's new girlfriend, 'Bitch'.
    [​IMG]

*pssst, hey friar, what wuz my time over the pass again? Eye no eye musta beet wazzis name --huh? -- naa, majick marker will hide that shit. Eye gots sum black tape too--save the fuckin krylon fer the bike--aagh!, damn dog--*
  11. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Good stuff Katoomer, lots of rock trivia worth reading for sure.

The pics are incredible.

Good stuff all around.

Be safe buddy, I've been wondering how you were. Glad to hear the news.

Gus
  12. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gus Gus. I'm doing well considering the "F"ed-up place I'm in. There is much to do and the days are long. There are many good and unfortunately several very BAD people over here. A few bad apples spoils the barrel as they say. I've been working very hard with customers and my engineers to complete a "guest" house for these gentlemen. With determination and hard work, we'll soon have a safe and secure place they can call home. My goal is to ensure they have the space...... and the time to consider 1) their murderous deeds and 2) their imagined dreams of 72 virgins. Here is the view out one of their front windows:

[​IMG]
  13. MotoMamma

MotoMamma Living Life

Oddometer:
    Hi Katoomer,
    How is the sand box?
    Hope all is well with you!
    More pictures!
    We all miss ya!
    MM
  14. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was announced that Abu Musab al Zarqawi was killed in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Iraq</st1:place></st1:country-region>

by American forces, as most people already know...

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    But, when George Washington met him at the Pearly Gates, he slapped him

across the face and yelled, "How dare you fight against the nation

I helped conceive.

Patrick Henry then approached, punched him in the nose and shouted,

"You wanted to end our liberties but you failed!"

James Madison followed, kicked him in the groin and said, "This is

why I allowed our government to provide for the common defense!"

Thomas Jefferson was next. He beat Zarqawi with a long cane and

snarled, "It was evil men like you who inspired me to write the

Declaration of Independence."

The beatings and thrashings continued as George Mason, James Monroe

and 66 other early Americans unleashed their anger on the terrorist leader.

As Zarqawi lay bleeding and in pain, an Angel appeared.

Zarqawi wept and said, "This is not what you promised me."

The Angel replied, "I told you there would be 72 Virginians waiting

for you in Heaven. What do you think I said??"

Hey Katoomer...Maybe it would be better if we just sent them to meet the 72 Virginians....I'll get back with you next week with the info on the Upgrades to the FLHX...Stay well, and look for my package soon...Bob
  15. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    An inside joke?
    Oh never mind,,,,,,,, I really shoudn't have asked......:huh
  16. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    Hey MM, nice picture of young Hacky Mason. He looks ready to roost! Cute little human.:norton I'll try and send more pictures when I have the time. Our bandwidth is "narrow" :huh so it takes a while to upload. I did run across these pictures of Hacky.....they're classics!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the communique BBB. I see Heli may be interested in a 75th ADV. Up until now, you have the only one in Alaska! Beautiful bike, definately a collectable GS. Glad I could break her in for ya! :lol3
    [​IMG]

I appreciate the care package. Gum, moto mags and snacks.....yum!:clap I think there's something worse in store for Mr. Zarkqwai when he gets to the pearly gates. 72 Virginians is just the start....just the initial Welcome Wagon.

No Gus,......BBB wasn't talking about THAT kind of package. :lol3 :lol3

Take care you guys.....can't wait to be back with you guys in a place like this:

[​IMG]

Katoomer
  17. motorbike_mike1

motorbike_mike1 Gearhead

Oddometer:
    To Afghanistan . Are you near Kandahar or up by Kabul. In august 1978 I was in Kondoz for a few days with a C130 crew. cant say what we were doing but it was freekin hot.
    Look forward to your safe return. Must be getting pretty cool there by now! I remember very Hot Summers and Very cold winters.
    We had guys ride in today, cold but no snow yet. ML road his 650GS to work so he wins the last to ride in award this year. Amungst the employees I mean. Still lots of die hard customers riding in much like you would I suppose.
    Mike
  18. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    Hey MM! At first I couldn't figure it out.....then saw your profile. Cool. Yeah, back in the sandbox for 1 year this time. Cooling off now in the evenings. Mild days still but with occasional rain. Kunduz is pretty cool, we're building a bridge from Tajikastan to Afghanistan across a large river. Haven't been there yet but hope to soon.

Check your PVT Mssgs.

Take care!

Larry
  19. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    Hey katoomer PM you.
  20. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Katoomer,

I talked to Heli at length the other night about the 75th down in Seattle. It sounds like there will probably be 2 in AK here shortly. I have strongly advised him to get the bike, even though it will destroy my exclusive hold on the 75th anniv. market. Heli and I have been good friends for many years, and I would actually feel honored to have the same bike as him!!! I have certainly gotten a lot of use out of mine this summer!!! Been many cool places, and had many great times on the bike. I am glad that someone as cool as yourself broke it in for me. I'm thinking Ohlins and braided steel brakelines for next year, and then it should be done. I will email you some pics of my travels this summer. Stay safe over there, and I look forward to seeing you soon!!!

BBB