Where in the world is Shoganai?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AK Bear, Jun 4, 2006.

1. idea man

idea man Plate Spinner

Oddometer:
    This type of thread makes one motivated to go again. Nice pic BTW. Stunning. Like this ride report.
  2. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    A few weeks ago I spent 7 hours sitting in front of the fire with my laptop as I read this whole thread. Can't explain how I missed it originally but it proved to be the best entertainment I've had since I did the trip up North myself this summer. When I was done that I read the Ride to work with Shoganni thread and really enjoyed that too. Thanks for taking the time and I am pleased with how the Canadians helped you out with your troubles.:thumb
  3. Shoganai

Shoganai Let's do some livin'

Oddometer:
    OMG, 7 hours :yikes

:shog

Thank you, and thank all of you that have given some of your precious time to read my report. I can think of no greater honor :bow
  4. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:

Ya when my wife asked me what the heck I was doing I told her not to worry about it. Its "Shogani Sunday":lol3
  5. LaoTsu

LaoTsu Adventurer WannaBe

Oddometer:

I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam.
    --Popeye The Sailor--
    :shog
  6. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Wow! I read all 178 pages.... I laughed, I cried, I said FUCK!, WOW and awww....
    Fantastic read, what a trip.
    I wish I had known about your trip sooner, perhaps you could have used the guest room and I could have shared some routes here in the Northwet.
    Thank you so much for sharing... you are a special person and I am delighted to have shared these pages with you.
    Congrats on the new bike, I hope you keep us posted.
    I'll likely be reading everything you write up in hopes oc seeing more pics.
    I know a printer if you decide to go through with the book. No pressure here... I am glad you shared what you have and hope there will be more.:clap
  7. NBstrom

NBstrom THENERD

Oddometer:
    +1:clap
  8. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
  9. GS Bones

GS Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gwen,
    Just spent two days reading this thread. OMG!

1. You have given me new inspiration, context and perspective with which to undertake my next tour.
    2. You have demonstrated that courage comes in many forms. For example, deciding to eat canned oysters while riding alone in remote places.
    3. Your photos are amazing, but your words offer even more. The way you described the phenomenon that takes place when you ride day after day, alone, for hours on end, like a love that cannot quite be reached...perfect.
    4.You "smelled the roses" which is something that long distance riders sometimes have a difficult time doing.....ask me how I know!

The greatest things in life are accomplished by those who live humbly and seek no recognition for recognition's sake. You have done great.

Thank you.

Best wishes on the next chapter of your life with Steve. Steve, congratulations.

Bones
  10. WaywardSon

WaywardSon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gwen,

Can't read 178 pages without a response of some sort:-) After reading your "Ride to Work" thread I came across this one (always was a little backwards) and it is everything I knew it would be, and more. It is hard to add much to what has already been said...but thank you so very much for taking the time to do these...you have enriched all of our lives. Just an incredible report. Thank you again!

If you ever find yourself anywhere near W. Ky. and need anything, I will take it as a personal insult if you do not allow me to provide it:freaky Best of luck to you and Steve as you continue down lifes road.

John
  11. Spider-eyes

Spider-eyes Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Shoganai, I found your "Ride to Work" thread a while back and was blown away by your photographs and outlook on life. Then, for the last three days, I've followed you through your epic Alaskan trip.

The Alaska Log reads like a modern Homeric poem: wanderlust, love, adventure, tragedy; all of life's emotions. And your photographs are even better than the Ride to Work" photos and they were excellent.

I thought of something, reading your Alaska trip, when you were in the midst of tackling the clutch spline problem. In Jo Momma, recurring threads are "Where do you carry your pistol?" and "What is the best handgun to carry on a motorcycle?" It seems that some folks expect, if not hope to find trouble on every ride.

What a refreshing attitude you have. You exhibit a friendly smile, greet people warmly and find new friends throughout a 20,000 mile trip through extrordinary obstacles and setbacks. Because of your warmth and sincerity, people look forward to meeting you, want to help you or just see you. There's a message here that needs to be said: Look for trouble and you'll find it; look for a friend and he will find you.

You're a remarkable Lady.
  12. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    Ride report of the Year. :nod

:freaky
  13. Desi_Kermit

Desi_Kermit Dont worry eat curry ...

Oddometer:
    +1 ... i want to be just like Shogs when I grow up ... :clap
  14. varkrider

varkrider Check Six

Oddometer:
    It took me a month of stolen moments to get through this thread...worth every minute.

You're a remarkable person, and I hope to meet you one day.
  15. NeedtoRide

NeedtoRide Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WOW, I know I'm late to the party,, but I really want to be like Shogs when I grow up!

incredible,, 4 days of my wfe wondering what the hell I'm doing on the computer!
  16. tuckerdt

tuckerdt If it's no Scottish....

Oddometer:
    Shog,

I was in the dog house for spending most of yesterday reading about your TRIP. Thinking back over the story, my big question is: When you were sleeping along the road, or in a pull out, often without a tent, what did you use for protection against bears, coyotes, wolves, and/or other humans? Perhaps you've already been asked this question and I missed your answer, if so, sorry.

Tucker
  17. Shoganai

Oddometer:
    :shog Sorry.

To your question, nothing. I did carried a Cold Steel Tanto, but I think I had it under my pillow less than 3 times.

The way I approach life is about not living in fear. I never once feared for my well being or safety. Nieve? perhaps, but I'm content to still believe that the world and the people in it are basically good. And if I die from that trust, at least I've lived in joy and not fear.
  18. Krusty ...

Krusty ... What? Me hurry?

Oddometer:
    Tucker... it was the kippers and Gatorade:krusty. Ultimate bear deterrent :deal
  19. Shoganai

Oddometer:
    :thumb
    True and thus no tent. :shog
  20. tuckerdt

tuckerdt If it's no Scottish....

Oddometer:
    I also love kippers and smoked oysters, however, I'll hope that for my trip in June the bears will have plenty of other things to eat.... unlike the Fall bear in Grizzly Man! Being eaten by a bear in the middle of the night is way down my check out list. Call me a wuss.....

Tucker