Where is Bob L - Europe 2019 - 3 months or more

Discussion in 'Europe' started by WhereIsBobL, Jul 9, 2019.

1. WhereIsBobL

WhereIsBobL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will be travelling around Europe for 3 or 4 months starting in Ireland / Scotland / England in August 2019, then over to the Continent sometime in September. Possibly ending in Portugal / spain and maybe Morocco. I need to be back in the US by the end of November, but I have few plans other than that. Last year I did a terrible job of posting here. I will try to do better this year.

I do keep my website up to date though:
    https://whereisbobl.com/

For August I will be traveling with Special Agent Nancy:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/seeking-riding-partner-s-for-uk-aug-2019.1358793/

After that, all is up in the air. I am open to suggestions.

Last years link is here:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/where-is-bob-l-europe-2018.1297983/
  2. WhereIsBobL

Oddometer:
    So, one question. How do I get the French sticker - Crit’Air - if my bike is registered in the US? The website does not have a selection for the United States in the dropdown menu. https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/
  3. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got one with only minor difficulties (more due to burocratic bollox than anything else) here in the UK. What particular problems are you having? Have you tried to fill all the sections and just post it off?
    We sorted ours our first with a txt, then actually rang the office when they sent us the wrong one again.
    Agree it is a bit stupid for it only to be available online.

Only really necessary 24/7 if you are entering certain cities, and some Regions/Departments some of the time.
    Not sure how this is going to work out, given the general bolshie nature of your typical French mech when faced with this sort of stuff. Remember the breathalyser fiasco?
    I was in France three times last year, and saw only a few crit'aire stickers, mostly on non French cars, none on any bikes. But then I don't do cities and stay on the rearmost of back roads.
    If I see any form of policing, it it is usually a surprise or the TdF.

Have fun.
  4. WhereIsBobL

Oddometer:
    The drop-down for country did not have the USA as a selection. I will try calling them. I really want to do it online since I probably won't get it in the post in time and need the online receipt as proof.
  5. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Online is the only way to actually get your vignetti. We were trying to sort out them sending the wrong class.

Although my partner speaks perfect French, the guy on the phone wanted to use his highly accented English.
  6. MotoMigrant

MotoMigrant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA or Celje, Slovenia
    I would suggest leaving Spain/Portugal/Morocco for end of October-November. Go see whatever else you want while the weather is nice and the crowds are thinning out. Let me know if you get as far as Slovenia (weather starts to go to shit here in October) :)
  7. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:

Anglais -bas? :lol3
  8. JethroDog

JethroDog dogs bark

Oddometer:
    I went through Paris in early June, so if they are monitoring with video I might get something in the mail. Looking at the official site, the requirements are somewhat confusing.....for motorcycles in specific locations the requirement is in effect only Monday-Friday from 8 to 8? Fine is 70 euros.....we’ll see if I get anything.

When I entered Switzerland a few years ago on the autobahn and purchased their annual vignette, I was advised that I could stick it under my seat if i wanted to. Go figure. Austria, on the other hand, has video systems in place to catch violators.
  9. Olirider

Olirider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do have a Crit'air vignette on my bike to be able to ride in big cities (Paris, Marseilles, Grenoble...). They are checked by police only on pollution control days and the control is not systematic.
    I'm nearly sure that the police would be tolerant for a US registred bike without a Crit'air vignette.
    nickguzzi likes this.
  10. WhereIsBobL

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I finally got a response: "You can't apply for the sticker. We apologise for the inconvenience."

So, I guess I will just ride and see.
  11. RDDrider

RDDrider Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck riding without the vignettes. Hope they are tolerant. Bob I am riding in late September from Heidelberg for 7 days. Trying to ride to some historical places like Aachen and Belgium. If you are around those parts, love to meet and ride with you.
  12. WhereIsBobL

Oddometer:
    Well, I have not been keeping up with posts here but I have been occasionally writing over on my website, whereisbobl.com

I will be needing tires very soon.

I am in the Rhone-Alps today, but will be in the eastern end of the Pyrenees in a couple of days. Can anyone recommend a tire shop in that area? I am flexible on location, but my route will have me going through the Verdon Gorge then over there. I try to avoid cities whenever possible.
  13. dolomoto

dolomoto Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer:
    Can't help with the tires. But on Tuesday, I'll be departing Amsterdam enroute southern Germany...likely a campground in Saarlouis, Germany. I'll be on way home to Vicenza..taking Tues-Saturday to enjoy the end of the Alpine riding season. I rode Stelvio on the way up, was perfect. Undecided on what passes I'll ride on the way back.

If you are venturing into the central Italian Alps later this week and want to meet up, send me a PM.

[​IMG]
  14. WhereIsBobL

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but I will not be heading that way. Getting a tire tomorrow, then heading towards the Pyrenees. Well, that's the plan, but I seldom follow my plans.
  15. dolomoto

Oddometer:
    Ok, cool. I'm passing thru Constanz, CH today on my way back over to Passo Stelvio. Since leaving Amsterdam on Tuesday afternoon, it's been a terrible 2.5 days of 45 deg F and drizzle...but the sun is shining now!

Fair skies and smooth roads.
  16. WhereIsBobL

Oddometer:
  17. WhereIsBobL

Oddometer:
    I hit a bit of snow over one of the passes a few days ago, but it has been sunny and warm since. Of course, I am quite a ways south and much lower in elevation now.

Pyrenees in a couple of days. I am slowly learning to slow travel, or at least slower travel. I am trying to stay at least two nights in most places, if nothing else than to just sit and relax. It still feels just wrong 8^)
  18. dolomoto

Oddometer:

Passo Stelvio was icy and snowy.

[​IMG]
  19. WhereIsBobL

Oddometer:
    Well, as usual, I have been lax at updates. I have written in my web site a bit, as I use that as sort of a personal journal whereisbobl.com

So, where have I been. I made it down to the Pyrenees, spent a bunch of time playing on the twisty roads and gawking at the scenery. There was snow on lots of the peaks which made the scenery even more dramatic. Eventually I made it over to the North West of Spain. You can see my route on my website.

Anyway, through the years I have finally figured out that I need to stick to my instincts. Avoid ALL cities. I have yet to go to one that I liked for more than a few days, and even then it seems like a bit of punishment for bad decision making.

Avoiding heavy tourist places during tourist season is also a must. I tend to get annoyed at everything then I don't enjoy the scenery and roads as I would otherwise.

However....... WAY OFF Season can be a challenge, especially with cultural differences. Even the tourist towns are dead at this point. Finding a place near lots of restaurants does not mean much if none of them are open. One of the places I was in was in walking distance to many restaurants. Unfortunately they were almost all closed. The ones that were open did not start serving food until 8pm. I'm from Rural America. 8pm is when one should be getting ready for bed. Gotta get to work early you know.

From Northern Spain I looked at my options. I am tired. Tired of trying to find the next place to stay, the next route, the next place to eat. I have mostly been cooking my own food, and I am tired of that.
  20. Noggin

Noggin blissfully ignorant

Oddometer:
    One might think that an experienced traveller would know a little about the countries they are visiting and be expected to fit in?

In almost all of Spain, 8pm is shortly after lunch! Dinner seldom starts much before 10pm.

With a local economy heavily dependent on tourism, when the tourists are not there, not much is open.

Despite my (tongue in cheek) criticism, you appear to be enjoying your adventures and seeing more of the world on 2 wheels than me, so you are forgiven

One final suggestion - it's now winter here in Europe, so head South!
    glitch_oz and nickguzzi like this.