Where NOT to go in Texas...

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by Kürbczech, Nov 24, 2010.

1. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    They love Texans at the ski areas:raabia. $$$$$$
  2. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Guadalupe Mts. have lots of large caves... most of which will put the Caverns of Sonora to shame in size, depth, and formations (speleothems)...

Some are in the Guadalupe Nat'l. Forest and some are in the Carlsbad Nat'l. Park...all of them require permits to enter...and some require a Park Ranger chaperone....

There are also lots of gypsum caves south of White City...mostly horizontal tunnels with no formations...
  3. EvilGenius

EvilGenius 1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer:
    I think thats the only thing keeping them from banning us all together.

:lol3
  4. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good idea... sort of a Mier Expedition, only to New Mexico not Old Mexico. And without that messy black bean decimation thing, but with beer. Heck, it's only 550 miles from Monument Hill. I'm going to have to get a new seat.
  5. cool_fool

cool_fool Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah I'm ready for a road trip!:clap
  6. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    Its a 1600 mile ride for me. I guess I should upgrade my stock DR saddle?
  7. Agman

Agman Ranching Rider

Oddometer:
    Me, too, Cool. Sign me up. Would love to tour the Guadalupe Mountains area. Can't stand extended hours on I-10, though. There must be a steer to get us there with minimal miles on I-10. A day to get there, a day to tour, and a day back home. Let's cook up a trip.
  8. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:

If I were seriously suggesting a place not to go in Texas it would be I10 between Junction and Van Horn.

Okay, let's start talking dates.
  9. eric2

eric2 ®egister this:

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, that's actually one of the better sections of I 10, but what do I know? You got rolling hills, little traffic, and an 80mph speed limit. Good visibility to see the speed traps too.

West of Van Horn is where it flattens out into a mind numbing boredom, and come to think of it, just about all of I 10 east of san antonio sucks too.

The larger areas of suckage are lubbock, amarillo and the like west all the way into NM. Luchenback may be full of posers and pirates, but is surrounded by roads where you can do what you like wether its curves, straights or dirt riding.
  10. Agman

Agman Ranching Rider

Oddometer:
    Preferably, Meriden, sooner rather than later. My bride and I cover for each other at the ranch when we are on our individual forays, so I'll need just a couple of days notice to be ready. Moderate cold temps...30s-40s...are no problem on my RT. When do you have in mind?
  11. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    La Grange to Llano on Hwy 71.

Due west: Llano to Mason to Menard to Eldorado to Iraan on 29 and 190.

Drop down for a short burst on IH10 to Fort Stockton.

Northwest on 285 through Pecos to RR 652 to 180/62.

Minimum time on the Interstate... maximum on two lanes.

Plenty if chances to detour to see the best parts of Texas.

Wish I could join you.
  12. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    NFE,

Yea, that looks something like the route that I was working out this morning. It look like FM1450 might bypass Fort Stockton all together.

Agman,

Have to check with the Mrs. Work will keep me pinned down until March. I hope that is not too late. After that I have to schedule around a couple of weddings. March should be fair weather. Where's the ranch?

Eric,

Can't argue with east I10 being worse than west I10.
  13. Agman

Agman Ranching Rider

Oddometer:
    Any old time is great. I ride all year long and am currently trying to cook up a ride soon. Anybody out there who wants to get in the wind, post up and let's get it on. Any direction...but, no metro areas. Can't stand metro traffic. Been thinking about Toledo Bend in East Texas. Our ranch, by the way, is half way between Lampasas and Hamilton and is relatively close to beautiful downtown Evant. Hope to hear from you guys.
  14. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Meriden,

Your idea is good... from Iraan follow the oil field roads to McCamey then wander by Coyanosa and on to Pecos. If you have time, stop by the historic Pecos River crossing site of Horsehead Crossing. Have been through and over that country many times but hesitate to recommend it to others.

Be sure and take rations and water... that country can be unforgiving, but has the unique beauty of raw West Texas. Old oil fields, new wind farms, scrub brush cattle and gypsum flats...
  15. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    One of the advantages of I10 is that you can count on immediate help as a maybe as opposed to the farm roads where you can count on immediate help as a not likely. Love West Texas though.

I'll start a thread in Trip Planning and see we'll see what we can put together.
  16. SKINNY

Oddometer:
    There is plenty of oilfield traffic on the back roads during the week, but week-ends are pretty much devoid of traffic...not good if you break down, but otherwise, it makes for a nice peaceful ride...
  17. perterra

perterra -. --- .--. .

Oddometer:
    If your not hiking up in to the mountains to spend the night the Dog Canyon camo ground is pretty good digs. Likely wont be anybody there but you and a park ranger who's dog is BSC. Theres some tent spots are you can camp up by the corrals. It's about 100 yards into Texas from the north.

Theres not a lot of off road stuff in Texas but your on national forest land just north of the Tex border and a mile or two north of the border you can run the old El Paso road west to Salt Flat Tex. About 50 miles from Dog Canyon to Salt Flat by road, maybe 6 0r 8 if you hike.
    [​IMG]
    Decent Mexican food there and fuel, have cash as they didnt take plastic last year. You will be about 40 miles from any gas pumps if the station in Queens NM is closed.

Dog canyon
    [​IMG]
  18. SKINNY

Oddometer:
    The ride thru Dark Canyon to Queen is one of the nicer rides in the area...there hasn't been any gas available at Queen in 3 or 4 years...
  19. Kürbczech

Kürbczech Kinda tacticool...

Oddometer:
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/22Mrez7ahZA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/22Mrez7ahZA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
  20. cool_fool

cool_fool Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll throw my hat in for a March ride. Maybe we'll have some rain and grass by then and I can leave my ranch for a few days.