1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Where should I go for an 8 day ride

Discussion in 'Canada' started by fprobst, Sep 7, 2020.

1. fprobst

fprobst Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have 8 days off the end of September. I live in southwestern ontario. I’m trying to decide on a last minute trip to get away. I would like a lot of dirt during the trip. I could ride part of the tcat into Quebec or Thunderbay. Gaspe? Northern Quebec? Any ideas? Thanks
  2. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I were in SW Ont, I'd ride out to Weagamow Lake, then scout out the logging roads on either side of Lake Nipigon (and maybe find that elusive route over the top...). There are ways to get from route 599 to route 527 via dirt while staying well north of Thunder Bay, and it looks like there are countless logging roads in the area.

A ride from SW Ont to northern Quebec or Gaspe would require a couple long road days to get there and back. Definitely doable, but would require some hardcore pavement pounding to get it (and significant dirt time) done in 8 days.
  3. fprobst

fprobst Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That looks like a great area. I’m from Woodstock south western Ontario. It would be quite a hike up there. How hard is it to find gas up there?
  4. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oops. When I think SW Ont I think Thunder Bay or Kenora.

Eight days out of Woodstock I would suggest the big holes in the map between the TransCanada and Route 117, and northeast of Route 117 around the Gouin Reservoir.
  5. Scubawerx

Scubawerx Scubawerx

Oddometer:
    I suggest 4 days in any direction away from your home.
    spacely likes this.
  6. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Unlike the US, there are travel restrictions between provinces. If he's in Ont, he's pretty much bound to Ont and Quebec. And Qc is asking for people on non-mandatory, to not go there.

If the OP wants to see lots of dirt, there's enough of it in Ont to cover 8 days.

Scubawerx likes this.
  7. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    Highly recommend exploring the trails around Cloyne and Calabogie.
    If you want a 3rd option, the Ganaraska forest and Rice Lake area have some nice trails.
    SSBB and Meet@Trudys like this.
  8. hugemoth

hugemoth Big Brother is watching you!

Oddometer:
    I'd go to BC around the Carpenter lake area. Take the trail up Steep Creek. Good fun and scenery. 34% grade in places.
  9. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ahhhhhh. It's a long way from southern Ontario to BC. Maps are your friend.
    Maggot12 and I82l8 like this.
  10. hugemoth

hugemoth Big Brother is watching you!

Oddometer:
    Too far to ride on a moped I suppose.
  11. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you *really* put your mind to it, you could make it from southern ON to BC in two days.

Years ago we were stopped along the Cassiar Highway near Bell II taking a break on our way to Inuvik, and a guy on a Ninja pulled up. He had left Philadelphia four days earlier. He had two weeks vacation and was riding to Prudhoe Bay. That’s some serious mileage.
  12. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    8 days return in dirt from Ont to BC and back. :lol3

Supposed to 14 day quarantine in Manitoba.

13. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    And another brilliant American enters the fray. :fpalm

nick949eldo likes this.
  14. PFD023

PFD023 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just spent 3 days in eastern townships and loved it. I had the ST1300 there so it was 95 % asphalt but my gps did send me on some hard packed gravel. There are lots of gravel options there though....not sure about double track. Roads and scenery is spectacular. If you are camping I'd suggest staying here...https://canada-usa.huttopia.com/en/site/sutton/ . SEPAQ (provincial parks) don't have showers/flush toilets available as far as I know but Huttopia had great camping (cheap at $25/night) and super clean hot showers and washrooms. Only problem getting to the eastern townships is mind numbingly boring. Someone mentioned Cloyne/Bon Echo area....I'd do that then head over to Eastern Townships....best of both worlds.
  15. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not that I was serious or anything. About ON-BC that is. But the guy doing Philly to Prudhoe Bay was quite serious, and we all suspect he may have wound up embedded in the side of a moose before he was done.
  16. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about something like this? https://fortnine.ca/en/saguenay-royaume-motorcycle-trip

The problem with going that far north is that it can get very cold in late Sept. I was in that part of quebec earlier this month (did a loop comprising hwys 113, 167, 155) and one morning the temps stayed around only 8 degrees (and it rained) and didn't warm up until almost noon. That's not much fun for me, but I guess if you're not a warm weather only wuss like me you'll be ok.
  17. SSBB

SSBB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You don't have to travel far. You could easily ride up to Calibogie and do a bunch of on road and off road stuff to last you a couple of weeks. Head through Muskoka, Kawartha lakes area and Algonquin Park. Tonnes if great stuff up that way.

Could also take the ferry over to Manitoulin Island, head up to Temiskaming Shores, over to Elliot lake and the Ontario Tail of the Dragon, Ranger Lake Rd and the Soo. Many great dirt roads up there.
  18. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    I've been wandering my way up NW Ontario over the past three days.

556 from just north of the Soo over to 129 in light rain is fricking awesome, perfect traction.

Black Sturgeon road in to the north end of the lake then loop around to TB on 527 for a late lunch is a nice loop.

Plan you fuel. There's stretches up this direction that you'll regret passing up that station because you were only 120k in to your last fill up. I miss my GSA up here, 38 liters covered things nicely. :ricky
    Maggot12 and Vikingtazz like this.
  19. fprobst

fprobst Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks for all the tips guys. I had a great time. I took the ferry from Tobermory to South baymouth. Rode to Elliot Lake. Took the logging roads from Elliot lake to Aubrey Falls. Then rode the snowmobile trail from Chapleau to Wawa. Then to Thunderbay. Camped in the backcountry the whole time. Had a blast
    Vikingtazz and MGV8 like this.
  20. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope you understand that you’re required by law to post a full ride report with pictures now.
    R-1150-RS, MGV8 and EmmEff like this.