1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Where should we go!?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Geoffers, Mar 8, 2019.

?

Where should we go

1. Kootenay National Park, British Columbia

2. Telluride/Ouray (even tho rangers say there is snow in early May)

3. Somewhere in Idaho

4. Glacier National Park in Montana

5. Smokey Mountains National Park in Tennessee

6. Moab, UT

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Geoffers

Geoffers Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m off from May 1st - 12th originally we were going to go to Telluride Colorado and ride the alpine loop. However the rangers just told me there’s still an extreme avalanche warning and that there’s no chance for it to be open by early May.

Now I’m thinking it’s only an extra 7 hours to get up to Kootenay where I went backpacking last year. I’ve never rode dual sport in this area but we have two modified Wr250r dual sports and we are looking for mountain views from a rough unplaved road. I know there’s a plethora of paved roads that are breathtaking in this whole area but I wanted to see what people thought about more gnarly roads that still had great open scenery with mountains. Any suggestions?

Honestly I was considering: somewhere in Idaho, Glacier Park in Montana, Ouray/Telluride in Colorado, or Kootenay National Park. I want to go somewhere that is open bc lots of the cool stuff in Colorado will be snow covered until July.

I would love to go to the Kootenay area again if there are any awesome dual sport adventures to be found that wouldn't be covered in snow in early May.

Where would you guys suggest?
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you want to go early May then the Smoky mountain area might be the only one not covered in snow and/or too cold. Smoky Mtn Natl park has some nice riding but better places to ride out of would be Tellico Plains TN, Suches GA or Maggie Valley NC. Most of the good riding is outside the park.

Here's an old ride report I did that shows some of what is in the area: https://advrider.com/f/threads/six-days-of-dual-sport-riding-in-the-southern-smokies.512682/

Some N. GA DS riding: https://advrider.com/f/threads/north-georgia-dual-sport-weekend.608353/

This area is probably not as awesome as the other places you listed but should be great weather wise in early May.
    Tenacious B, JB2 and Geoffers like this.
  3. Geoffers

Geoffers Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did the smokies and tail of the dragon for a week in 2018 though. That’s the only real dual sport trip I’ve done so I was kind of hoping to branch out a bit more. I did have a blast there. I was hoping to see some larger mountains on this trip. My friend and I have almost two weeks off work and the smokies are only 8 hrs from here
  4. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was just doing some research for an upcoming trip out west. Average High/low temps in Silverton, Co in May are 58/27. So even if there wasn't a ton of snow it will be a bit chilly. Any place that is really high elevation will till be iffy in May. This year they have had a lot of snow.

How about Moab? The off road riding around there is awesome and May is perfect timing. I may be there myself in early May.

[​IMG]
    Zubb and Geoffers like this.
  5. Geoffers

Geoffers Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Moab is definitely a possibility! I haven't been there in ten years and the riding AWESOME. It's a toss up between mountains or better riding/better temperature. I have to see if my friend is willing to give up the mountains or not. It's hard because we are highly attracted to the mountains. We are planning to camp regardless of where we go.
    I added Moab to the list of considerations.
  6. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    You picked a bad year to ride mountains on May 1. The snowpack in pretty much the whole west is epic. Go-Low and have a great time. Save the mountains for next year when there's another drought.:photog
    Branchbuster, oldoval and Geoffers like this.
  7. Tenacious B

Tenacious B Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did a trip to that part of CO in July last year and camping just south of Silverton (slightly higher elevation) it was still getting down to the low 40s/high 30s at night. I'd go to the Smokies and save the Rockies as an escape from peak summer heat.
  8. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd go to Moab. The southern Appalachians have some good riding on paved twisties and gravel forest service roads, but lack the big country feel of Utah and general sense of exploration and adventure I feel when I go to the west. Without a doubt, White RimTrail, Lockhart Basin etc is where I'd go!!