1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Where to buy a fuel bladder in N. America

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by DRRambler, May 30, 2013.

1. DRRambler

DRRambler AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer:
    Is there a vendor in North America that sells the Liquid Containment (or equivalent) fuel bladders?

[​IMG]

I've been considering my spare fuel options for my upcoming trip and am thinking the bladder would be good way to go. I have a 4.9gal IMS on my DR650 which should give me 300km but crossing the Salar and the Lagunas route in Bolivia may require up to 500km. So I need another temporary 3 gallons.
  2. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    There was a dude with two of them in the flea market yesterday. I bought one.

Otherwise, you can get one from justgastanks.com
  3. DRRambler

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up, unfortunately they're both sold now.
    I can't find any thing on justgastanks.com seems they don't sell em anymore
  4. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know RC guys use common IV bags as fuel tanks, because as the fuel is depleted they simply shrink, and it keeps the fuel from sloshing. Haven't heard any issues.
  5. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:

I see a 6 gallon there, but not the 3 gallon. Call 'em!
  6. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is also the option of using an MSR Dromedary bag. The Dromedary bag is designed to hold water, not fuel, but there are many reports on here of guys using them for fuel with no problems. Also, I looked into the materials used on the bags, and they're the same as what many fuel canisters are made from. I needed an extra gallon or so of gas for a trip, so that's what I bought. I haven't tested it out yet though, so I can't speak of how it actually works from personal experience. They do seem very well made though. If I were going to be using it day in and day out, I don't think I'd choose this route. However, for one trip (as mine is), it seemed like a good way to go. They come in sizes from 2 to 10 liters.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FIU2TG/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  7. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    I have called JGT on the Liquid Containment fuel bladders before.. they wont do business with the company anymore.. too unreliable.. especially for the numerous warranty issues they had.
  8. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:

Just a couple notes on the Dromedary..... they come in two thicknesses. the black ones are thicker than red. Also,,,, they "breathe" fuel fumes. Whatever they come in contact with will smell like fuel.
  9. DRRambler

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback,

The MSR looks like a viable option as I'll only need it for a few days.
  10. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn't know there were two thicknesses. Glad I happened to buy the thicker black one! Wait, now that doesn't sound right... :lol3

I had heard they breathe fumes a bit. That's definitely good information to know. I'm planning on strapping mine to the top of a Rotopax, so that shouldn't be an issue... However, that does limit packing options for many.
  11. DRRambler

Oddometer:
    I'll be strapping it to the top of a hard case or on the outside of a dry duffel.
  12. Grinder

Grinder Wrong way 'round

Oddometer:
    Starbucks....seriously

The big coffee box has a foil style bag. I have heard of a few crafty (cheap klr) riders using those.
  13. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rent/Borrow a Safari 8gal tank? Buy a used one and re-sell it when you're done? Then you have one less thing to strap to your bike/luggage.

Don't want to haul the weight of 8gal of fuel around all the time? Just fill it to 5gal or so.
  14. Grounder

Grounder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BLUF: No commercial vendors will have one for sale and anything you do find will have been manufactured/sold prior to 2009.

Gas cans (Portable Fuel Containers - PFC) from 1-5 gallons are regulated by the EPA, must have overfill protection, spill protection, and vapor protection. The requirements pretty much eliminate anything other than hardwall PFC containers.

Anything over 5 gallons and you are going to run into CFR 49 requirements as far as UN certified packaging which means the standard UN jerry can is pretty much your only option.

Here is a quick overview:

http://lawncare.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/a/PFC_regs.htm

I don't know the EPA regs, DOT regulates anything over 5 gallons.
  15. DRRambler

Oddometer:
    It figures there is a regulatory reason I can't find one.
  16. drklr

drklr MotoTrvlr

Oddometer:
    I used the 2.5 gallon Dromedary on a trip fron NYC to Chicago. The bike I was taking only has a 1.9 gl tank.

It was handy for piece of mind but I left it in Chicago and got two MSR fuel bottles instead. Could not handle the fumes from the bag. To me, it was like riding in a fog of gas for 800 miles.

John
  17. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    The EPA giveth & the EPA taketh away.....what IS mandated are holding tanks for human solid waste on boats these days. No more pumping that stuff overboard. Big boats have big solid tanks, but small boats use heavy duty bladders that will fit into the small, odd spaces in the hull. They come in all sizes & are made of some heavy duty stuff that's promised not to leak or vent fumes. If gas fumes or leaks are a problem on a bike pannier, just imagine what these odors might be like in the cabin of a small sailboat! If these are tough enough to keep this sort of effluent safely enclosed they might do the same for gas (plus, they come with pump-out fittings as standard.)
  18. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Recalculating... recalculating.... HCMC-Vietnam :)
    Looking for the same thing. Did some search but not found, even on ebay.
    Anyone has a glue?

Someone have good fuel bladders showing HERE.
  19. dogon2whls

dogon2whls Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hey DRR' , when is your trip ?

I've got a 30 liter safari sitting in my garage that won't be used by me for a while .

I'm in whistler .
  20. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    It's for your own good. If it saves just one child that shouldn't even be near your fuel bag, it was worth it.