1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Where to buy Honda for importation into Cambodia

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Banks, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Banks

Banks Yes it is CRF 250 X

Oddometer:
    Can somebody in Cambodia let me know how and where I can buy a new Honda CRF250X for importation into Cambodia. If locally available I am interested as well. Thanks
  2. LaudJohn

LaudJohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go to Flying Bikes on st 110, talk to Chove; he can import whatever bike you want and arrange the taxes etc and registration. It may be a bit cheaper to do it yourself but it could end up being a nightmare.

Otherwise you can import a bike from anywhere you want; you just have to deal with the paperwork and the officials etc. The cheapest place to buy one would be either the USA or Japan and then to talk to a consilidator and share a container.

A friend bought a new DR650 in Melbourne and flew it to PP late last year; there is a thread about this on GT rider board
    www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/and-then-there-were--t2933.html

I am looking for a DRZ400e and if I find one in OZ at a good price I will just ride it into Cambodia.

cheers

LaudJohn
  3. KingKhmer

KingKhmer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hope it has a snorkel........:huh

and ballast for your arse.:lol3

ouch.

KK
  4. LaudJohn

Oddometer:
    They have invented boats you know...

And I will be having a seat bought over from PP that is a lot easier on the ass.

check your PM

chers

LaudJohn
  5. Banks

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the usefull information. I found two CRF250X in Singapore for around USD 7.000 (one 2007 and one 2008 stll in crate)and have asked a quote for shipping and handling. This can become expensive. I will ask Flying Bikes also what it cost if they import.
  6. LaudJohn

Oddometer:
    Just ride them up to Cambodia. It really isn't that far.

I rode my Cambo Registered DR65 from Kuala Lumpur to PP in 2 1/2 days... well I rode to Hat Yai in Thailand leaving at 7am arriving at 2pm, then on the train to Bangkok, 1200 bth for me and the same for the bike. Left BKK after finding the bike (it was lost for an hour) after midday and overnighted at Batambang. Left at 7am and arrived in PP at 10.30am the next day .. well under 1800km's of riding doing it that way, the borders are easy.

You may need to get the bike transported to the border of Malaysia to get around all the paperwork you need to do to ride in Singapore, but it is less than 4 hours to KL from the border and the freeways are great in Malaysia.

cheers

LaudJohn
  7. Banks

Oddometer:
    I would not mind at all to drive from Malaysia up to Phnom Penh and as you describe it seems easy. I only wonder how you cross borders with a non registerd bike ?
    At the moment I found 1. CRF250X from 2004 privately owned and for sale. Two new ones in Singapore 2007 and 2008 but I am waiting for the quote on transportation. One second hand from the USA is coming in beginning of august and for sale together with a second hand CRF450X. Saturday 18/7 the owner of the 2004 will show his bike in Dara's shop to me.
    Someone told me also to contact Honda Thailand as the rumor is that CRF's are cheap in Thailand ??? Must be a rumor .
  8. LaudJohn

Oddometer:
    Are you in Cambodia?

Just get Dara to get you a fake plate and Rego card, put it on the back of the bike and ride away.

My Djebel had fake plates on it and I entered Thailand many times and Laos once... Half the bikes in Cambodia have fake plates, the customs people in other countries can't tell the difference, hell most of the Cambodian Cops (they are like the Keystone Kops, but not as bright) can't tell the difference between real and fake.

Hell I've even bought insurance for the bike in the past in Thailand!

cheers

LaudJohn
  9. Banks

Oddometer:
    Yes, I am in Phnom Penh, drive most of the time a Yamaha TTR 600, only not when I go out drinking than I need four wheels for my stability. Go from time to time to the motorcrosstrack on Sundays not to ride just to look. Simple the fake plate solution, why am I so slow ? :rofl
  10. Banks

Oddometer:
    Ofcourse I leave with a plate to Singapore and drive a tax and duty free bike for the coming years, why not.
  11. LaudJohn

Oddometer:
    I have spare plates from other countries to try that with some time...

I think you will pay a small fortune to get a bike registered in Singapore. You need expensive tags to ride in Singapore.

Just buy it, attach the Cambo plate to it an get it trailered to the Malaysian border.. do Immigration and then just ride off ... we did it in the reverse direction from thailand.

We should catch up when I am next in PP.

I ride one of the seven DR650's in the country.

cheers,

LaudJohn
  12. XReric

XReric n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, i will come along tomorrow for the viewing. Pity cant ride just yet..
  13. XReric

XReric n00b

Oddometer:
    LaudJohn,
    Any idea how many XR650R there are in Cambodia ? That's the one I'm riding, and I'd like to meet some fellow riders. My guess is less than 10, as for your DR.
  14. LaudJohn

Oddometer:
    I am not sure. I only know of a couple. They are mostly olde3r bikes though. No one regulary turned up at the California 2 on one.

650 dirt bikes are still pretty rare in Cambodia; quite a few guys have DRZ400 's and I am looking to buy one as well. There are bout 7 DR650's in Cambo, I am not sure who bought the one that Lucky Lucky had in the showroom a year ago but I know all the other DR riders.

The roads are so much better now than a few years ago that they are a perfect bike IMHO. I am after a DRZ for a couple of hard tracks I want to ride for which the DR is really unsitable, but apart from single trail stuff a 650 dirt bike is great.

cheers

LaudJohn
  15. Banks

Oddometer:
    Just got a message from Joe in Singapore. This weekend two Thai guys came to Singapore and bought the two CRF250X in stock. No more available at the moment:cry . Well this gives me the time to look around in Phnom Penh and next time take an immedeate desicion when available.

So my original question comes back: Where can I find a CRF250X for importation into Cambodia ?
    Any advice is welcome.
    And maybe when available in Singapore I just fly to them, put the bike in pieces and on the same plane as myself back to Phnom Penh. Import the frame officially and the other 100 kg as spare parts. Only I am technically not good enough to take the bike apart in Singapore. On the Phnom Penh side I know enough good people to help to put it back again.
  16. LaudJohn

Oddometer:
    I like the lateral thinking.

Why not fly someone from PP down to Singapore to take it apart - preferablly the guy who will put it back together (Cambodians do not need a visa for Singapore), someone like Two Wheels Only Tony, he can do some shopping as well. Jetstar Asia flights are cheap and that is another person who can carry some weight back with you.

cheers

LaudJohn
  17. Banks

Oddometer:
    Got a mail from a trader in Singapore and he has a new 2007 model for sale for a good price so I ordered. We are now dealing with shipping, paying and dreaming.
  18. harrythefinn

harrythefinn n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi,

If you open the the crate in Singapore before exporting it you get hit for another 10% in taxes. Just check it out before doing it.

Cheers
    Harri.
    XR650R,XL600R,KTM525,VFR800,AJS500.
  19. Banks

Oddometer:
    It should have left today and arrive Thursday in Sihanoukville, Cambodia. I expect the hassle to start Friday. If I really get upset by customs etc I will let you know how I dealt with it

Attached Files:

20. Banks

Oddometer:
    The bike arrived four weeks ago in Cambodia. I applied for an import license (3 weeks), and went to customs (one week) and the paperwork was done. Asked a mover to pick up the package in the port of Sihanoukville and it was delivered two days ago to my house. Three hours later the bike was out of the crate and put together. Yesterday I drove 100 KM and had the first service done at Flying Bikes in Phnom Penh. Oil changes and checking everything. Put some handquards on it and a switch to switch of the headlight. Now still looking for a small folding mirror. Coming Saturday I will ride it off road for a day in Prey Veng, sand and mud. I was positively surprised by the power and negatively surprised by the maintenace intervals (every 10 hours).

Other very positive thing was the after sales service from the shop in Singapore. If you ever need a bike from Singapore please sent me a mail for his address because this guy Mr. M did it very well and for a very reasonable price. I will let him know I mentioned his name so he can react on this forum.

Attached Files: