1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to carry spare clutch cables

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crash007, Mar 24, 2013.

1. crash007

crash007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bought a spare clutch cable just in case. Not sure how much I can coil it up without damaging the cable.

Where do you guys carry a spare on the bike?

Crash
  2. greywolf

greywolf Unpaved road avoider

Oddometer:
    The time honored method is to cover the ends so dirt can't get in and tape it alongside the present clutch cable.
  3. GordonH

GordonH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Zip tie it to your existing cable. Old enduro trick. You know where it is and you don't have to spend time in the woods routing it.

Gordon
  4. BykBoy

BykBoy Meshuganeh Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did this with my old Triumph Tiger. Had spare clutch and throttle cables running along side with the existing cables. Never had to use them, but felt good having the spars in place.
  5. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    Unless you put right angle bends in it you're not going to hurt it. I coil my spare cables coiled uptight enough to fit in a quart zip lock bag in the tail cowl.

There's really no need to route it next to the existing one. It's kind of a Murphy's law that anything you carry a spare of will be the last thing to break.:deal
  6. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    KLR clutch cable will last about 25,000 miles, just change it then and don't worry about it.
  7. SteelB12

SteelB12 Our Purity of Essence Supporter

Oddometer:

Crap, I am over that. Good thing I have the spare already zip tied next to it. :D Now the original will never break
  8. Bob_M

Bob_M Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lube it then seal he ends with RTV & tape. I had a spare routed and zip tied to the installed cable for about 25 years on my Honda 750. Of course I never needed it.
  9. mark1305

mark1305 Old Enough To Know Better Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the spare on the F 650 routed with the operating cable. Lubed and coated with chain wax at the ends. Plus a section of narrow bicycle tube ziptied over the upper end and folded over to provide extra protection for weather and road grime. I agree, with a spare mounted, the operating cable will never break. :evil

The spare for the airhead I do carry coiled up with other spares.

The cliche, "Six of one, half dozen of the other..." still works.
  10. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Or just keep it at home, you can ride without a clutch.
  11. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did that, don't recommend it. I was stuck on a snow covered road, with the only viable speed being 70kph in 3rd.

That was the day I learned that if you had no options you could just slide a bike into a snow bank, keep on leaning and it'd build you a berm and you'd get round a lot more scared, but otherwise intact.

Almost made it home as well, wouldn't you know it, one set of lights from home, got pulled over by a cop for the one wheel launch from the lights ....

Pete
  12. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    that's the stuff !

i'm one of those reallllly lucky people that always felt a 'funny' pull as i left for work, and ignored it. then it popped on my way home, pulling into the parking lot.

now, it's either brand new or taped to the brand new one. (it looks naked when it's missing the spare)

:clap
  13. Damian_74

Damian_74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Grease, seal the ends with heat shrink and zip tie to the original.

Has got me out of trouble twice so far! On my DRZ and my F650Dakar.
  14. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Nuff said.
    :deal
  15. HrtofAg

HrtofAg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lots of good advice. I think I like (KLR650) replacing it at 25,000 miles and running the old one along the new one for an extended trip. That would minimize the likelihood of having to do the repair on road.
  16. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just a tip. Most cables fail at the handlebar lever because the cable end can't swivel in the lever recess due to lack of lubrication. The cable then flexes and the wires break. All that needs to be done is to give the end a shot of chain lube every time you do the chain. Just use a paper towel to prevent overspray.
  17. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    This is very true . I once rode home about 20 miles on an RD , pulling the end of the broken throttle cable with my fingers , thru the hole in the ignition key .
  18. jeep44

jeep44 junk collector

Oddometer:
    I had the clutch cable break on my Royal Enfield Bullet (broke at the handlebar,right at rhe "barrel" in the clutch lever) No problem, I think-I have another in the toolbox. What I didn't have is the right wrench to change it in the toolkit-it needed a 14mm. Somehow I managed with a leatherman tool, but it hammered home the message that spares are useless if you don't have the means to change them.
  19. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    haha YOU dont ride where i ride. good luck with that!
  20. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    For the last 20 years I have carried a "Back up cable/housing" Ziptie in parallel to the clutch cable (rear brake cable in two bikes) that way you don't need to take the bike apart with a hot engine and you can be on the way in a few minutes, one thing you want to do is to seal the ends (fingers of blue mechanic gloves {easy to see at night}) and wrap with orange electrical tape so you don't need to take out the players to cut the zipties..
    Hybridchemistry likes this.