Where to eat in New Orleans?

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by niceviewbehindbars, Mar 25, 2011.

1. niceviewbehindbars

niceviewbehindbars out enjoying the vu

Oddometer:
    I'll be headed through the area on Sunday. Where should I eat lunch or maybe a early dinner? Never been to New Orleans before.
  2. mrprez

mrprez KJ4WMZ

Oddometer:
    Wow. Going through New Orleans and you have to choose one meal. That's a hard one. Next to football, eating is the prime past time over there. Our favorite place to go is off the beaten path but well worth the trip.

http://www.deanies.com/restaurants/bucktown/

If you are with someone and you like seafood, get the seafood platter. Just get the half platter if there are 2 of you! No way can 2 people eat a full platter.
  3. niceviewbehindbars

Oddometer:
    I remember seeing somewhere about some famous hot dogs but I can't remember if that was in New Orleans or not.
  4. edmodewey

edmodewey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take I 610 to the City Park exit. Go left under the interstate then turn right on Canal St. by the cemetaries. Go about 15 blocks, 3 blocks past Carrollton Ave. Mandinas is on the right.

If it is too crowed make a u turn back to Carrollton then a right. In the first block, on your right is Venezias.

For desert, when you leave Venezias, walk to the next block to Angelo Brocatos.

Venezias is all Italian with some creole influence.

Mandinas is strictly New Orleans. Po Boys, gumbo, red beans. Known for their Veal Parmagiana and, get this, an old New Orleans special, fried potato po boy.

Either one is great. But, forget the deserts and go to Brogatos.

Ed

P S
    The hot dogs are in the Quarter. The Lucky Dog stands.

You may have read about them in A Confederacy of Dunces. Ignatius was one of their venders.
  5. Supahflid

Supahflid Wheelieless Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great book.
  6. bobafet

bobafet Boba Fett

Oddometer:
    Try the grilled oysters at Drago's in the Hilton at the river walk.

Cafe Du Mounde for coffee and beignet's

Mother's on Poydras street
  7. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know it's full of tourists, but I can't go to New Orleans without stopping for a plate of beignets at Cafe du Monde. Makes a good breakfast or afternoon snack. Or middle-of-the-night drunken food.

I haven't been in years, but I used to like to go to the Port of Call on Esplanade.

Tried a new place this last visit: Coop's Place on Decatur. I liked it, though the service was a little brash.

Keep in mind, I'm not from that area. I just visit a couple times a year and try to find something new.

If I had to eat at only one place in New Orleans, it'd be Cafe du Monde, even though it's not a meal.

Jamie
  8. Scurley

Scurley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great suggestion about Deanie's. I doubt our thread starter will see this in time, but I second it.

My favorite dish at Mandina's is their trout almandine. MMMmmmmmmm.

Jamie, Port of Call is still friggin' great. What better way to eat heavy than to consume a half-pound mushroom cheeseburger, a loaded baked potato, and wash it all down with a monsoon (light rum,sweet and sour, pineapple juice, passion-fruit juice, dark rum)?

I always like to suggest Sammy's Deli, too. It's on Elysian Fields 1/4 block south of the 610. I've never had a bad experience over a few dozen visits, though the lunch line on weekdays has led to over an hour's wait before food is served. It's very hard to beat their seafood stuffed catfish with a side of baked macaroni and jambalaya.
  9. Bender

Bender I can pass this guy..

Oddometer:
    Johnnys' Po'boys down in the quarter ain't bad at all.
  10. niceviewbehindbars

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys for posting up. We ended up eating at Mandinas. It was real good. I had the gumbo and sandwich. We rode around New Orleans and checked the place out. Very cool..

It was amazing to still see all the damage from Katrina.
  11. mrprez

mrprez KJ4WMZ

Oddometer:
    Not too hard to find a good meal in New Orleans, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a good restaurant. Hard part is choosing!