1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

where to get bike fixed.

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Nbesch, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Nbesch

Nbesch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I was thinking about getting a gs for adventure travel, but I am concerned about how few BMW dealers there are around the country. Has this been a problem for you? what do you do if you get stuck in Wyoming and according to the BMW website there are no dealers.
  2. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    You thank the stars you're not on a KTM?!
    Nbesch likes this.
  3. Strawdog

Strawdog Strawdog

Oddometer:
    Your in the same boat with all bikes in isolated areas Bring basic tools learn to fix your tires on the side of the road. I bring spare parts when I am off highway like the Dempster, McKenzie Highway or BDR routes,.
    In my saddle bags I have spare fuel pump, jumper wire for fuel pump relay, chain master links short piece of chain, spare stator/regulator and extreme case spare tires.

If your staying the highways basic tools is all carry. In US most cases your a couple days from parts being shipped. There dozens of local shops that deal in all makes of bikes
    Ginger Beard, SnoDrtRider and Nbesch like this.
  4. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    With thousands of miles of travel in the past 6 years with two bikes (my wife and I both ride) I can say other than unavoidable breakdowns like a flat tire these bikes are VERY reliable with damaging the bike yourself more likely to be an issue than the bike just breaking down.
    I carry my GS-911 just in case I need to scan the bike in an emergency but I have yet to use it other than to reset the service reminders.
    Just a word of advice when traveling make a habit of checking your tires for both any potential flat causing debris in the tread AND tire pressures every morning before hitting the road/trail. Better to find a problem before you set out for the day than 10 miles in on the side of the road.
  5. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    I am in the @SnoDrtRider camp. Two bikes over 130K miles, and she has yet to lay down on the trail. However, I would also like to attribute that to I prefer to do my own maintenance in the comfort of home with a lift in a garage and not trailside. So if you keep up with good maintenance (even a bit more proactive depending on the length/desolation of the vacay) then you should never need more than a set of tires and cup of joe at a dealership.
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  6. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Okay guys maintenance is one thing, but if you take a random spill you may need some parts or professional work. Some folks are less mechanically inclined than others. (Folks like myself need to remember that...)
  7. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    Competence in your skills and evaluating a riding situation play a HUGE part in whether or not you will make it through to your next destination or need help/repairs... you can't fault any bike/manufacturer/dealer/independent shop if you choose to take chances and make a bad decision resulting in damage to the bike or injury to yourself.
  8. Strawdog

Strawdog Strawdog

Oddometer:
    heatmizr total get where coming from with mechanical abilities, so cover your bases buy a GS 911 or set Moto scan if your are far away a BMW dealer you will have a scan tool a non BMW shop can use so they can trouble shoot. If a non BMW shop can access the brains rest of the bike is just mechanical as all bikes

SnoDrtRider is good advice on checking bike
  9. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    I dunno, I have had some rather spectacular get offs. There is a reason for handguards, skid plates, crashbars. Even hit a deer which eventually totaled it out by insurance, but still rode it home.
  10. spencermarkd

spencermarkd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A lot can be fixed, bike injury wise (broken levels, cracked case, holes) with a stick of instant jb or tubes of normal JB Weld and a beer can. Just sayin'.
  11. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Note to self, bring beer cans.
    SebRex13, cgguy09, ROMAD and 2 others like this.
  12. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Buddy just broke the foot peg mount on his Honda Africa twin. Even in the big city the part has to be ordered. Is going to take several days. Dealers don’t stock much these days. If something major happens you can order the part for any brand. A Kawasaki dealer can change bearings on a BMW.
  13. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:

no one stocks anything but batteries and oil! Be your own best friend... Carry tools, know basic repairs, look for nearby hardware stores, and you’ll be fine.

I was in Canada 2 years ago, damn near to the day, and in addition to dodging wildfires, carrying fireman, and begging local constables for rationed petro....I burnt a hole in my G650x’s coolant line.

Well, wasn’t I lucky, I was near a BMW dealer in Canada...thank Allah! But! Not only did they not have the part, they had only seen my bike in brochures.

F* me. Right? So I limped over to an auto part store and measured out the hose, and built the part I needed.three rubber pieces, 2 hard
    Plastic Pieces. boom, I had a complete system.

I went back to the BMW dealer and bought some overpriced coolant (that was not Bmw branded) mixed it with water I boiled in the lot. Filled up the radiator, filled up the overflow, burped the system (easier on a single BMW 650)...And I was back on the Trail. Maybe 3 hours of delay.

I’ve had countless other run ins....
    ——broke the sensor for the kickstand: hot wired it.
    —— sheered bolts on the trail: had “easy outs” borrowed a drill and bought a bolt from ACE.
    —— Fixed flats on the road. (Gets easier every time)
    —— fixer a leaky front fork with an old water bottle.

I feel like an old man telling stories. I’m 33.

The F800 and BMWs in general are reliable and easy to work on. BMWs are less prone to issues than other bikes. (Damn the KLR rideR that says otherwise) But, if you’re riding off road you have to be prepared to work on your bike regardless of the brand.

Bring basic tools(there is a thread on it) and know the basics (diagnosing a bad spark plug, dead battery, leaky fork, if you see smoke, if you’re low on oil, if your shock is dripping, etc). You need to be able to recognize and respond to problems.

Worst case scenario, have a method to reach out for Help ... garmin, SPOT, etc. Cell phones, if you’re riding in good spots, will not work.

I feel I sound negative. I will say over the last 10 years I’ve ridden 98k on BMW bikes with very few issues. Specifically, I’ve riden 22k on my F800GSA without one major issue. Literally, nothing other than a blown tire I could have prevented. And, even then, my positive attitude helped me get through it and make it a great day.

So, I’ll wrap this up. Where should you fix your bike? The nearest place with cold Busch Beer... because you’re your own best mechanic. Be it a KTM, BMW, or heaven forbidden a KLR...
    PSYOP SGM and heatmizr like this.
  14. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    You, good sir, have authored the Post Of The Day.
    cgguy09 likes this.