1. Bayou Boy

Bayou Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a trip for the week after Easter but I don't know where to go. I have 11 days total.
    I live at the red star.
    [​IMG]

Any ideas of a general direction and what to see in that direction? I was thinking go up to Deals Gap and make my way back through tennessee and arkansas. Or maybe go to West Texas and see the mountains there.
    I don't know. Give me some ideas.
  2. deerslayR

deerslayR Spodely Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dayum! I'd kill for eleven consecutive days to ride. I envy ya.
    Just point that sucker north and ride where the road (or trail :evil takes ya).
    In 30 years of doing this touring thing, my BEST trips have been either loosely planned or not planned at all.
    Got to have your "enjoys", eh?

RF/TC

deerslayR
  3. Bayou Boy

Bayou Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's kind of what I want to do, but i need to have a sort of direction. I've been all to the east so I think that's out. I've never been west of Houston, northwest of Dallas except for the Tetons in a plane, or north of the Oachitas in Arkansas. I'm not really excited about the plains. (Seems kind of boring) But what do I know.
  4. deerslayR

deerslayR Spodely Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ..is nice that time 'o the year. Fredricksburg, Austin, San Antonio etc.
    Can be a bit chancey on the BRP in April. Could be 75 and sunny, or 35 and snowing.
    I live on a coastal plain, too. It's 150 miles before I get some really good curvey roads. Thank God I have the Pine Barrens to play in. :ricky zum zum!

RF/TC

deerslayR
  5. kfsinc

kfsinc Chaingolian Observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    go west young man!!!

East/south east can suck this time of year.

or if your're real adventure, to to Mexico -- do a search here for some great ride reports.
  6. ozarkrider

ozarkrider Discombobulated Sociopath

Oddometer:
    If ya come through north Arkansas pm me. I kin put ya up for a while and take you to the Ozark version of Deals Gap. :thumb
  7. Bayou Boy

Bayou Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been looking at my Delorme atlas of Texas and was thinking about doing the Gaudalupe Mountains, Carlsbad Caverns, Roswell(just because I would be so close) and other things there. Maybe Big Bend too, but I know it's a big park and it deserves more time than I will want to be there.

I think that I've decided on west texas and New Mexico, just need to know what to see.

Also should I slab it that way or jump on Hwy 90 in San Antonio?

Also, thanks for the offer ozarkrider. I know it's beautiful up there. I've been mountain biking near Mena a few times.
  8. old paul

old paul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you've settled on west Texas, then Big Bend is a must. You can see everything there in one day unless you're going to do some very serious off roading. The road from BB to Persidio is one of the most spectacular roads I've ever seen. Include the mountains around McDonal Observatory. In south NM you can see where Pancho Villa crossed, and SE Ariz is also worth the trip. West of Roswell, where you want to stop, are some good mountains, and you can see Smokey Bear's grave as well. Sure you'll hear lots of suggestions. Good luck.
    My first trip, in early 70s, was from New Orleans. I had two weeks to get home, with no idea at all where I was going. Stopped by Mom's house for coffee on the way out, and leaving there came upon a red light. Since it was ok to turn right on red, I went that way, and so continuted the trip. Wound up in Rochester, NY, spending 13 days on the road, covering 4,000 miles on a 500cc Suzuki. Maybe the best trip I ever took. Suggestion here is maybe not to overplan, but let the winds, the clouds and interesting roads lead you.
    Have fun.
  9. eric2

eric2 ®egister this:

Oddometer:
    Big Bend is nice that time of year, temps only in the 90s.
    When we go, we always tour the fine hill country
    roads between kerrville and bracketville, then slab it on 90
    to del rio and marathon. Free camping around
    the amistad resevoir. Outside of big bend there ain't
    much in west texas or NM. Ruidoso is nice, roswell sucks.
    Guadalupe mountains should be OK, but thats about it out
    there. Miles and miles of desert around el paso.

Weather in BB can be extreme, so be prepared.
    Gas stations are few and far between also, so
    fill up whenever you see one. Luckily
    there are few hooved rats out there and you can
    see them from way off.
    HTH!

Eric
    Austin
  10. motojoe

motojoe Arrest Cheney and Bush

Oddometer:
    Mexico, without a doubt. Should be able to do 8-9 days in the country from your place. Great adventure, different culture, cheap.
  11. motojoe

motojoe Arrest Cheney and Bush

Oddometer:
    Mexico, without a doubt. Should be able to do 8-9 days in the country from your place. Great adventure, different culture, cheap.
  12. Bayou Boy

Bayou Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    This reply has had me thinking about Mexico, but everyone I tell about it is so negative. (See the other thread about the same thing recently.) I may have to just go and not say anything until I'm already in Mexico. THey think that I'm crazy for wanting to go to Mexico by myself, especially on the bike. Even though people do it all the time. Whatever. What ya gonna do.