Where to live near Austin

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by Boulder Ed, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Boulder Ed

Boulder Ed Bin Ridin

Oddometer:
    Can someone give me some pointers? Looking for a house on a couple acres west of Austin maybe 15-30 minutes outside of town. Hate suburbs love some views around me. Would settle for just not seeing a bunch of other houses looking into my living room and having a good shop/barn to wrench on the bikes Or maybe even a home with a 3 car garage in Leander area on 3/4 an acre if not so jam packed with neighbors, and room for my beloved toyhauler.

I'm gonna head out today and see the hill country for my first time so not even sure of which roads to take to see it... departing from Leander/round rock area. Need to commute to work around Parmer/35. Any idea of small towns, routes out, areas to consider would be extremely helpful!

thx, Ed
  2. hotair

hotair What to ride?????

Oddometer:
    Hey Ed !!! So, you got a JOB? :lol3 I hope you like it here more than you did at Ghost's campout. This is hotair, the guy on the Spyder. Hope you have a great ride today. Try the three sister roads around Medina. Have a bite at the Apple café in Medina. :freaky:freaky:lol3:lol3 337 starts at Medina.
  3. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You might consider Manor or Elgin, both east of Austin.

I'd rather take a whippin' than fight IH-35 on a regular basis...

NFE
  4. Jnich77

Jnich77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I lived in Lago Vista for a few years... definitely a nice area.
  5. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Out towards Liberty Hill probably fits the bill, except for the commute time. Check out areas on either side of Parmer, north of 1431. There are established areas and newer homes. Along 29 towards Georgetown and the other direction west of 183 on 2243. Out there along Nameless Rd and Round Mountain. Ask RobertK about the commute, he lives out there. I believe he comes in 2243 to Parmer and south.

There are some areas near me with smaller houses with large lots too. Look on the map at the area between Brushy Creek Rd and Sam Bass. Brushy Bend and Walsh drive and also Great Oaks. all 1-3 acre lots. Unfortunately the prices there are getting high.

Oh, and good to meet you on Saturday finally.
  6. eric2

eric2 ®egister this:

Oddometer:
    If I was working in I35\parmer area I would look east, maybe hutto, taylor, rockdale, round rock. Home prices are a lot cheaper than out west in the hill country, but the roads are a little boring east of town.

If being out west is a priority and longer commutes don't bother you marble falls, burnet or bertram may fit the bill and that's where the good roads start.
  7. fatboy

fatboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    15-30 minutes and your still in town. If you want to commute your going to have to increase this commute time. I think near bedroom communities, like Hutto and Round Rock, are going to be on the higher side of a 30 minute commute. Naturally, it all depends on time of day, weather and where you work. I'd rent a condo and take my time figuring out where to live. Some apartment complexes have nice garages too.