Where to Meet ADV Riders - South Sound

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by GSHighlander, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Retumbo7

Retumbo7 Engineer

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone, I'm considering relocating to Puget Sound and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of good offroad spots? I was up there a few weeks ago looking at houses and rode around Olympic NF (which apparently is entirely paved?!?!), Walker Valley (which was so crowded full of kids on 2-smokes I bailed), and Tahuya (which is more what I'm accustomed to), but I figured I'd drop by here to see where else the locals recommend.

Currently looking at houses in San Juan Islands, so thinking Victoria Island might be a good option when the borders open up? Also looked like there might be some nice riding near the Cascades on trails near WA HWY 20, but didn't have enough time to get off the road and look around.

As a bit of background, I previously lived less than a mile from the Rubicon trail, and currently back up to BLM land in Nevada, so hoping I'm not going to have to adjust my expectations that much?

TIA guys!
    Watercat likes this.
  2. ORexpat

ORexpat Oregon Expatriate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just to address your observation of the Olympics, there's hundreds of miles of NF roads that aren't paved. Most of the main haul roads are well maintained (and therefore might not be to your liking!) and, yes, a few are paved-cheaper to maintain with heavy log truck usage. Olympic National Park is another issue-very very few gravel roads. It's mainly, and rightly, a wilderness park. Tahuya is the local OHV area, and Capital Forest, SW of Olympia, has some riding.

Lots of gravel over on the Gifford Pinchot NF in the Cascades, and of course there's the Washington BDR and the Northwest Passage (https://bestrestproducts.com/?s=northwest+passage+).

Much of the high elevations around Hwy 20 are in the North Cascades National Park. Just like Oly NP, OHV's are verboten.

Not familiar with the off-road riding in Canada, either on Vancouver Island or over on the mainland. But I'll bet there's some inmates here who know it well.

Lots of more knowledgeable folks than I hereabouts. They'll weigh in.
    Retumbo7 and esteener like this.
  3. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    With my head down working all the time I've lost touch with snow elevations. ?Does anyone here have a good idea of the lower limit of snow in the Eastern Olympics? TIA dd
  4. Watercat

Watercat . . . gravity sucks

Oddometer:
    Uhhhhm . . . . . Victoria Island is gonna be a helluva schlog since it's in the Arctic Ocean . . . . .
    I'd definitely recommend a two stroke, and you'll probly need to hire a helicopter to drop you and your bike onto the island from the nearest village. Count on mid to late August prime riding time . . . . . Not sure about tire choice for the tundra, but those questions could be asked in Canadian Regional area of the site.
    RainRider45 and No-Fret like this.
  5. Retumbo7

Retumbo7 Engineer

Oddometer:
    Watercat likes this.
  6. Watercat

Watercat . . . gravity sucks

Oddometer:
    Seriously, here's a great site for Vancouver island if'n you settle down in the San Juans . . . . .

https://forum.dualsportbc.com

Good luck & have fun ! ! !
    Retumbo7 likes this.
  7. ATadam

ATadam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just moved to the Puget Sound region at the end of last year, where do peeps like to ride around here? I’ve got a tw200 so I want to get dirty and have fun all day and camp out at night.
  8. ORexpat

ORexpat Oregon Expatriate Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Tee Dub would be a hoot at the Tahuya OHV area on the Kitsap peninsula. There's a campground there too.
    Olympic and Gifford Pichot National Forests are full of logging roads. Some well maintained, some not. And there's always the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route. https://ridebdr.com/wabdr/
    ATadam likes this.
  9. NeuroDawg

NeuroDawg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Welp, no ride for me in April. Made the mistake of falling while skiing earlier this month. When my left thumb wasn’t feeling back to normal after three weeks, and a few days of riding with pain when operating my clutch, I finally got it checked. Yep, that's a fracture. Now I’m in a splint until the end of April, with express directions not to ride the motorcycle.

D79B4299-FBFC-4984-B7A4-643FDBB5354D.jpeg

Hopefully I’ll be back on the bike in May. I was looking forward to meeting some riding friends.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  10. BeardedBrews

BeardedBrews n00b

Oddometer:
    Can confirm.

Tahuya River trail was in good shape on the 21st, a little wetter on the 27th. Howell Lake loop was fun and a little wet on the 27th. Single tracks all around were as much challenge as you'd want, and forest service roads crisscrossing everything if you get tired of working too hard.

TW200 putted right along, and recovered faster than I did after I dumped it in a deep puddle on top of a submerged root.

Plenty of people out camping.

IMG_4761.jpg
    ATadam and Watercat like this.
  11. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    Sorry man.
  12. 3bangin

3bangin 2014 tiger 800, 2018 tiger 800 xca Supporter

Oddometer:
    20210327_122308.jpg 20210327_122619.jpg Me and a couple buddies rode up the Duckabush rd until we got to the bridge crossing the Duck.
    We then continued on the fs2510. The road is pretty rough this time of year but but a beautiful ride through mossy trees and waterfalls.

We stopped and talked to two Quad riders hoping to gain some local knowledge but they were tight lipped with little to say. Shit, I'm now a local.

Oh well, off to the Fulton creek (river) washout. Man this culvert is Huge and thers a trail leading down to the creek where crossing could be done And a steep trail leading out for a continuation onto fs2510.
  13. dammitdave

Oddometer:
    Saturday ride to check snow levels on both ends of Washington Pass. I'm thinking 10am in Hoodsport for coffee on Saturday at the ice cream and good coffee place. Check out the South approach and then around the 2480rd to the North end. I'd like to see how far up we can get toward Jefferson Lake as well. I'll be on the DR so nothing too wild. Any functioning adult welcome. dd
  14. Gootch

Gootch Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You might be posting to the wrong crowd.
    Nick W likes this.
  15. dammitdave

Oddometer:
    Perhaps the phrase is too political to use in casual conversation still. Yet, I've found that NW Advriders tend to lace up their own boots and come out to ride and enjoy regardless of politics, ethnicity or religion. Not much that's more 'Merican than that! dd
  16. NeuroDawg

NeuroDawg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think Gootch's reply was meant tongue-in-cheek, to say "there are no functioning adults among the inmates".
    Gootch and GPD323 like this.
  17. Gootch

Gootch Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's it.
  18. dammitdave

Oddometer:
    Thanks Neurodawg, I only have a loose grasp on the obvious and just a tiny bit of two fingered friction on the rest. If I ever grow up, start shovelling and toss some lime in the hole. dd
  19. 3bangin

Oddometer:
    My plan was to ride the klx down to hoodsport and join you guys....................but our second Covid shot is in Silverdale on Saturday morning.

F**king Covid!
  20. 3bangin

Oddometer:
    my wife and I took a cold ride up the Dosewallips this morning. Up penny creek on Sunday. dosewallups.jpg