Where to Meet ADV Riders - South Sound

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by GSHighlander, Mar 18, 2007.

1. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good on ya' getting that second shot and three cheers for everyone else whom can!
    3bangin likes this.
  2. Nick W

Nick W Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We riding tomorrow or what! :wave
  3. Mumbles24

Mumbles24 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Riding? I could use some riding.
  4. Gootch

Gootch Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I apologize for such a late notice. Due to non-riding life, I didn't even have the ride sorted with the regulars until late last night. In any case the Oly-area South Sounders are hitting the (paved) roads tomorrow. The plan is to meet at Bayview Thriftway at 9:30 for a 10-ish departure (adn I say 10-ish because we are always rather casual on these things).

We are planning on heading to 101 on the west side of Hood Canal and going north (the weather is supposed to be drier there than most other places). We'll hit some interesting side roads along the way (Lake Cushman for sure and Center Road out of Quilcene too) and maybe catch a little lunch Port Townsend way - possibly at the Spruce Goose Cafe at the Port Townsend airport. After that, Port Ludlow will appear on the roster and - given time - maybe Marrowstone Island too. We'll cross the Hood Canal Bridge and work out the ride from there (depending on weather, time, rider interest, and so on).

Come on out and ride all or part of the day.

Tod
  5. Nick W

Nick W Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had something come up at the last minute and am not going to make it. Was actually as far as Lakewood and got rerouted. I’ll make it again one of these Saturdays!
  6. getset

getset Go pop a wheelie!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ride fellas. Nice meeting you all. Looking forward to being able to tag along for the whole day next month. -Josh
  7. 3bangin

3bangin 2014 tiger 800, 2018 tiger 800 xca Supporter

Oddometer:
    Today's ride involved powerlines (sketchy, shitty) powerlines.
    Did I mention steep rutted loose rollie rock, shale slippery smothered with pucker factor powerlines?
    Then Rockybrook falls followed by Rockybrook road until snow stopped us near the pass.

Shitty snow!, we coulda probably made if if we weren't complete lazy ass 60 year olds. 20210411_094540.jpg

Attached Files:

8. PNWRR

PNWRR A study in Mopishness

Oddometer:
    You should go check out Duckabush right about now, talk about snow.

:drink
    3bangin likes this.
  9. 3bangin

3bangin 2014 tiger 800, 2018 tiger 800 xca Supporter

Oddometer:
    I may run up there this afternoon. I've been short cutting through Canal tracts for a quicker route to higher ground.
  10. Gootch

Oddometer:
    Thanks for joining us Josh. You were there for the bright blue sky but left early enough to miss the brief (and surprising) bout with sleet. In any case, it was a good day for riding and we'll see you again.

Tod

Bikes at Lake Cushman.
    [​IMG]
  11. fanatic291

fanatic291 Desert Tortoise

Oddometer:
    I moved up to Gig Harbor 2 years ago and left my DR650 and KTM300 down south. I have been riding the last 2 seasons at the ridge on my Ninja 600, but never lost my itch for dirt.

I just bought a KTM 500 and am stoked to start exploring the area.
    DCCF5E19-A5A4-4C63-94DA-A50BF2B207D2.jpeg
    96A2BBFC-0BCB-450A-A098-A7D7DE344A70.jpeg
    cyberdos, 3bangin, erg59 and 4 others like this.
  12. dammitdave

Oddometer:
    I just bought a KTM 500 and am stoked to start exploring the area.[/QUOTE]
    Damn, that's a gorgeous bike!
    fanatic291 likes this.
  13. dammitdave

Oddometer:
    I've decided to start posting up this year's rides here and some notable ones from last year.
    On Janurary 23rd I rode up the 28 road past Lord's Lake and then East on 27 toward Mt Townsend just to check the snow level.

Lord's Lake
    [​IMG]

There was little snow until I'd climbed up to the intersection with FR27 where some old snow lingered in the shaded areas along the road. It wasn't going away as the temperature, even at this modest elevation, was below freezing. Down East around the corner and climbing SW to the shaded corner at the Little Quilcene River crossing where I was stopped by very frozen, rutted, and slick snow fields.

The frozen North slopes of Mt Townsend.
    [​IMG]

Being tired of that same scene at the Little Quil crossing I decided to capture the culvert art from a little stream just short of the Quil.
    [​IMG]

...and the Little Quil down in the near darkness below the road.
    [​IMG]
    bearcat1, tallbob, 3bangin and 3 others like this.
  14. dammitdave

Oddometer:
    Washington Pass April 3rd, 2021

It's been a while since I rode to check snow levels in the Olympics so today I started with coffee at Hoodsport on my way to FR24 and 2441 Washington Pass. Great ride down the canal from Port Townsend with Tahoma majestic in the South. 41 degrees meant multiple layers for the highway work this morning. After coffee and delayering light traffic set a brisk pace up SR119 past lake Cushman to FR24. On the way I noticed the gate to Dow Mt was open. Another place to ride on this year's bucket list.

After airing down on 24 the DR650 took me East past the 2419, Mt Eleanor Rd, to 2441 and that fun climb up to the pass. The road was in good shape with no traffic, and though I rode conservatively, it was a quick trip. The South facing slope meant that the road was snow free all the way to the top. At the top there was a bit of snow in the shaded areas but tire tracks made passage easy. Riding solo I wasn't tempted to push on when I got to a place without clear tracks through the snow field. This was about 9/10ths of a mile North of the pass proper.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Retracing my route I took time for photos at the switchbacks.

Skok delta
    [​IMG]
    Saddle Mtn
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Continuing East on FR24 I stopped at this waterfall with its' curious monument post.
    [​IMG]

DNR call box at the NW corner of section six. “You are here”
    [​IMG]

?Do you think anyone ever pushed the button and raced away?
    3bangin, bearcat1, Watercat and 2 others like this.
  15. fanatic291

fanatic291 Desert Tortoise

Oddometer:
    Looks like some good rides. The DR650 is such a good machine.
  16. dammitdave

Oddometer:
    Just beyond the waterfall FR24 swings North and meets FR2480. A fairly wide and graded gravel road, 2480 makes quick work of the run NW into the Hamma Hamma drainage. About 4.3mi in you come to a DNR gate and FR2401 shortly after. The Maple fire damage is visible here as is the salvage logging that followed. Winter high winds have knocked down a lot of trees that were left exposed by those events and the 2401rd was littered with limbs and debris from wood cutting too.

Jefferson Ridge and Mt Bretherton from 2480
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's Mt Bretherton from FR2401
    [​IMG]

Continuing on to Elk Lake I stayed right at the junction with 2441 and headed for Jefferson Lake just 2.5 miles away. Just short of the lake a brief climb on the shaded road remained covered with a foot of cement like snow. Disappointed but not surprised, I broke out the flask for tea and biscuits and waited for the snow to melt. There is a huge scree slope here and a house size boulder lay just below the road.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

?Can you identify these broken Austrian Orange parts?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I could hear a waterfall in Jefferson Creek a hundred feet down the slope from the road but that would have to wait for a group visit. A twisted ankle would make for a cold night or two on the mountain waiting for help.

Jim from Port Orchard rode up on his new 700 Tenere'. In spite of my encouragement he declined to tackle the snow field and wandered off down 2401.

Returning to the junction with 2441 I headed up to Upper Elk Lake to watch for rising fish. I didn't see any fish but there were honkers on the lake and they were not pleased to see me. A bit further along I met some bicyclists that had pedaled up to the pass and back. They looked a good deal more athletic than I do. Coming to the big washout of years gone by it was good to see that the big culvert has saved the road again. From now on we can refer to it as The Big Culvert.

Big Culvert
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Waterfall just above the culvert
    [​IMG]

About 2mi from the pass, and 6/10ths from the 2469 junction, a shaded portion of the road once again stopped forward progress. I executed an Austin Powers 27 point turn and headed back down the hill.

I passed these hoodoo's across Washington Crk on my way down.
    [​IMG]

I watched a few moments for rising fish in upper Elk Lake.
    [​IMG]

I retraced my track to 2480 and rode out on the Hamma Hamma road to 101 after airing up my tires. Traffic cooperated in making the trip North quick enough to catch lunch on the deck at the Gearhead Deli. Excellent Food, cute waitress, friendly staff and warm sunshine capped an excellent day of riding. dd
  17. erg59

erg59 DoesThisKTMmakeMeLookFat?

Oddometer:
    I'm going to ride up to Crystal Mountain and go up FS70 till snow tomorrow... if anyone would like to join up? E.
    3bangin and fanatic291 like this.
  18. Gootch

Oddometer:
    South Sound pavement ride.

Here's my - as usual - late ride announcement for tomorrow's ride.

We're riding to Hansville this Saturday via as many good roads as we can throw in along the way (I'm sure that we'll see Dewatto).

We're meeting at Starbucks at 10314 S Tacoma Way, Lakewood, WA 98499 (west end of 512). Let's make it 9:30 for a 10 departure.

(Some of this should sound familiar to Nick W from when he rode with us a few months ago and fortunately had items to help me keep my tank bag on the bike as the retention strap failed.)

Tod
    No-Fret likes this.
  19. SteadyStare

SteadyStare Adventurer wannabe

Oddometer:
    anyone up for a mid week ride? Im looking to go explore some logging roads. Haven't decided where yet, open to suggestions
    No-Fret likes this.
  20. erg59

erg59 DoesThisKTMmakeMeLookFat?

Oddometer:
    IMG_1041.JPG Blasted over 410 then ran up Rock Creek road did a nice loop around Cleman Mtn. then blasted home.. Lots of people out in the woods riding and driving.. great day!