Where to ride (and rent) in Texas (Dallas/Fort Worth)

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by wmako, Sep 10, 2008.

1. wmako

wmako bored in NJ

Oddometer:
    Me and two friends will be coming into Texas from NJ for a wedding this weekend. We were thinking about renting bikes. We will be in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and have all day Friday free, and Saturday morning also (wedding is not until 5pm).

Any recommendations on where to rent in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? I found three places by searching online

http://www.eaglerider.com/Home.aspx
    http://www.sportryderrentals.com/index.html
    http://www.rental-motorcycle.com/

Anyone from the area have any experience with any of these places?

We also may be interested in some off road riding, but none of these places seem to offer dual sports. Anybody know anywhere that rents dual sports in Dallas/Fort Worth area?

Lastly any recommendation or where to ride in that area, dirt or street would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. rhythmofbeing

rhythmofbeing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We rented from Eaglerider in Wyoming. It went well, bikes were great. I don't have any DFW renting experience, though.

Where in DFW will you be? I'm familiar with some spots up near the Red River, but that could be an hour or three hours away depending on where you'll be.
  3. wmako

wmako bored in NJ

Oddometer:
    I will be staying in Lewisville, Texas, which I believe is about 10 miles northeast of DFW International Airport.
  4. bimmerx2

bimmerx2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually I'm next door in Highland Village but where to ride depends on what you want to experience and how far you want to go.

As a rule you will want to head North or West to get out of the metroplex from this area but you'll find a whole lotta mostly flat land in either direction. Not that the rides are terrible if you're wanting to experience Texas. There are some decent rides up north of Denton that you can get to in a few minutes. The wife and I ride up to Clarks BBQ in Tioga all the time and winding through the equestrian areas is not a bad way to kill an hour. You can head directly east of west from there to find nice country roads that are not heavily travelled.

East Texas is generally considered "prettier" with more variety in the landscape and roads that aren't quite as straight but getting east from Lewisville means riding through the hell that is Dallas area traffic for probably an hour or looping around the north side of the metroplex for a while until you get at least past I-75.

As for off-road rides...
    Texas land owners are a pretty touchy bunch when it comes to sharing and damn near every square inch of private property in this state is surrounded by barbed wire fencing. There are are some off-road areas that are pay-for-use and if you go far enough up into Oklahoma you can find more off-road opportunities.
  5. wmako

wmako bored in NJ

Oddometer:

Thanks for the info. I think I would want "experience Texas" as I have never been there before. We will have all day Friday and almost all day Saturday free, so distance would not be a problem. We will see what the weather does.

You wrote "damn near every square inch of private property in this state is surrounded by barbed wire fencing." How about dirt roads? Any around?
  6. bogriffinrides

bogriffinrides Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you have MapSource and Garmin products? If you'll go to the webpage below there is a Mapsource file linked that will give you a route up north of Dallas. It is not too far from Lewisville. It is something you could explore nicely on Friday. The road should be dry and good by then. There are a couple of dirt roads initially, but after that it is mostly gravel. There may be one section in Oklahoma that has some grass roads but not much. If you have Mapsource, then pull it up there, then go to "view" and down to Google Earth. That will give you a snapshot. Have a great visit. You could even go Saturday morning, then turn back at noon. We'll see what the weather does. It's forecasted to be pretty good. However, that doesn't answer the question about the bike rental being available. Have a nice day.
  7. bogriffinrides

bogriffinrides Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oops, let me add the webpage so you don't have to trudge through my site:http://www.bogriffinrides.com/html/dualsportdiscovery.htm

8. Exevious

Exevious Competitive Shooter - Team FCO

Oddometer:
    What kinda rental money you looking to spend??

I know you can rent choppers and harleys every weekend in Dallas.
    Most of them can be found in the duke's parking lot in addison :rofl

I may consider renting my 04 DRZ400S, with a waiver and reimbursement agreements should anything go awry....