where to ride off road near Austin, Tx

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by rdenham, Jun 3, 2008.

1. rdenham

rdenham n00b

Oddometer:
    Even though I ride mostly on road, I have a friend visiting that loves off road riding. I ride a v-strom but also have a KLR. He wants to do some dirt/gravel riding while he is visiting. Does anybody know some good road/trails near Austin he can explore.

Thanks.
  2. Burro X

Burro X no static at all

Oddometer:
    Get a "Roads Of Texas " map book and look at all the county roads NW of Austin in LLano ,Mason and Kimble counties. Plenty of good dirt roads, water crossings and scenery. There are also plenty in Travis and Hays counties but more "backroad" pavement than dirt.
  3. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
    Marble falls rec park or something like that.

There's info over at www.twtex.com too.
  4. eric2

eric2 ®egister this:

Oddometer:
    There's some basic dirt roads between johnson city and llano, the roads of texas map guide mentioned has them all, and is available at the LBJ visitor center outside Jcity as well as book stores in austin.

The more challenging roads are west of fredericksburg to junction, one of the deeper river xings is south of mason on the way to the eckert bat cave. You might want to introduce your friend to some coopers bbq in llano since it's in the heart of these dirt roads. Lots of nice asphalt back roads between marble falls and burnet as well. here's a page out of the roads of tx map guide of the area
  5. haebyong

haebyong Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Eric2:
    Thanks for the pic of the map. Been down in that area just wandering, now I see where some of those roads go.

Semper Fi,
    Pops
  6. HPJeep

HPJeep Owner of a pig iron bike

Oddometer:
    How about Emma Long Park in West Austin? Near the intersection of FM2222 and Loop 360. Took my KLR out there and my bike is just a bit too big for the single tracks and my lack of experience did not help either!
  7. ceeco

ceeco two wheels at a time

Oddometer:
    watch out on some of those water crossings, the limestone can get algae on it thats slicker than elephant excrement!! Dont ask me how I know...it wasn't pretty.
  8. Spode

Spode Malcontent

Oddometer:
    :eek1

Dude, Emma Long on a KLR? Have you lost your mind???

That park is fantastic for trials bikes, tough but doable on a light bike like my KDX, and outright impossible on a KLR.

If you managed to make a full loop on that bike, I give you mad respect!