Where to stay in Anchorage for cheap

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Steviebear, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Steviebear

Steviebear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be flying into Anchorage Thursday, July 20 hopefully to purchase my next two-wheeled bad influence and flying back to Juneau the next day. Can anyone recommend a place to stay that won't make this bike cost an extra two hundred dollars, yet safe enough to leave my new baby outside for a night? I'll be picking the bike up near the airport and shipping it via AML so closer(ish) to one or both is preferable. Thanks in advance for any suggestions
  2. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    If you want to bring a tent, our local Anchorage House of Harley has free camping on their lawn between their shop and Motoquest. Even includes a code access shower room!

What you doing in Juneau? GF Joanie and I will be there for a number of hours Sun the 30th passing thru on the ferry on our way down to Metlakatla to visit relatives and do some kayaking and standup paddle boarding. Good times!

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
  3. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a hard one to answer. Duc's advise is pretty solid. Most of the cheap motels in Anchorage tend to have problems. I'd recommend staying with a chain minus the Econo Inn. I'd try booking a place through sites like Expedia to find a good deal. The smaller chains like Holiday Inn near the airport would be a good choice. You could even possibly park it at one of the offsite airport parking sites which have 24 security and people on site and walk back to your hotel.
  4. Steviebear

Steviebear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for advise guys, i hadn't considered airport parking for the security.
    AKDuc, thanks for the tip on the free camping, normally I'd be all over that, but I'm trying to bring as little gear as possible as I have a bunch of extras that come with the bike that I have to get back to Juneau, including a bike dolly for the garage. I don't know what I'm going to do with that one. Also, have fun on your trip to Metlakatla, sadly I'm working Sunday otherwise I'd meet you for coffee.
  5. Dan Lorenze

Dan Lorenze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what about a dorm room at the university? I've heard they are pretty cheap
  6. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    They are reasonably priced but you need to like carrying your gear blocks back and forth to the rooms...bike parking, for us, was blocks away so we headed to a motel. Super 8 (airport) let us store our camping gear for a few days while we rode to the top and back...nice folks there.
    AKDuc likes this.
  7. Steviebear

Steviebear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips, guys, but it looks like I won't need a place to stay. After doing the math, I just can't justify the expense of buying a bike then spending another big chunk of change just to get it home. I'll have to look elsewhere, I guess.
  8. See-Double-You

See-Double-You Long timer

Oddometer:

I'm sure you considered riding to Haines and then taking the ferry ?

It'd take about 12 hours, but the cost of the ferry is only $140, which is much less than what AML would charge for shipping.
    Strap down whatever extras will fit, send whatever won't via the post office.

You'd only need a one way ticket to Anchorage, so you'd save a bit of money compared to round trip.
  9. Andrewmc

Andrewmc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Depending on what you're looking for, we get good rates with our shipping company and we can send a bike to you for cheap (or sometimes free) if you purchase it from us. Worth a phone call to us if we have something you're interested in.
    AKDuc likes this.
  10. Steviebear

Steviebear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but I just bought a bike here in Juneau. I've been wanting a honda grom since they came out, and just decided fuck it, I'm gonna get one. I'm sorry I waited so long, this thing is a hoot!
    akgsa likes this.
  11. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    ThatGuy can arrange very cheap housing with meals.
    Beezer likes this.
  12. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Might throw him way off schedule...
  13. ZiggyInNc

ZiggyInNc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you know if that free camping option will still be there this year? I’ll be riding my Road king up in June and that would be a nice option for a night.
  14. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Well, hello and welcome ADVn00b ZiggyInNC! Yes, I'm pretty sure the camping area next to our Harley shop is a permanent fixture. Numerous times a summer I'll ride by there looking for ADV'ers and to visit with other riders who are camping there.

I too am a Harley rider and am pretty up on their activities throughout the year. Just yesterday I had fun at one of their parties at their shop up in Wasilla. Great folks.

We can start a msg on here or email if you'd like more info. Like many on here, I too enjoy helping riders with their trips to AK. Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
    ZiggyInNc likes this.
  15. ZiggyInNc

ZiggyInNc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks - I followed your profile and will definetly look you up when I get out there. I’ve perused these forums for a long time but never joined until now since none of my bikes currently are what you would call adventure bikes, But I do get around and am not scared to explore the occasional dirt road even on the Harley. If I decide to go backcountry in Alaska I’ll probaly rent a dual sport for a few days when I am up there though. This was in Colorado September 2017

Attached Files:

AKDuc likes this.