Where to Store Road Tools on Bike

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by gs_roughontheroad, Nov 17, 2018.

1. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    Only problem with that is: those aren't waterproof.
    I was going to try them until I learned that.
  2. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    In my searching, I recently found this box;

http://motooverland.com/index_files/Page2996.htm

And maybe partly because I can't seem to get one it is now the object of my desires. I think it would work perfectly for my needs. I've tried several emails to them with no response and they list no phone number on their web site. Not sure they (seems like it was some guy with some good ideas) are still in business. Anyone know anything about the company or this box?

Jim
  3. amboss87

amboss87 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, if you ever wondered what this hole in the Frame is for, here is the answer: It holds up perfectly two spark plugs and the spark plug socket, just wrap it in a thin plastic foil to avoid Vibration noises 20190118_184753.jpg :
    lexaria and Iron Cross Junction like this.
  4. k-dmitriy

k-dmitriy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hm... but rust don't kill the sparks?
  5. gs_roughontheroad

gs_roughontheroad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Clever. Never thought about that.
  6. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd be worried about the ceramic if not properly kept from rattling, having a spark plug fall apart inside the combustion chamber....

Not like you'll be pulling over by the way side for a "quick spark plug swap" on an F-Twin?
    It's a cute picture otherwise though.
    Shooby, Daryloftexas and vfrpilot like this.
  7. vfrpilot

vfrpilot Stress Relief Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    This thread made me start thinking about a good storage solution, so I whipped this up.
    I think its going to work great

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    9Realms and amboss87 like this.
  8. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    To close out my sub-thread: I never got a response from Motooverland, and I finally went with the SW Motech product, which mounted easily to the Wunderlich bash plate on my wife’s 2017 F700GS. Over 1000 miles later, we are in Mexico and through rain and mud as well as a lot of tarmac I have no real complaints - it is difficult to access and shape is not great in terms of optimizing the available space/volume, but I knew that up front. I still think the design of the Motooverland product looks better (easier access, better form factor). But they appear to be defunct/out-of-business.

IMG_0683.jpg
    GF-kam likes this.
  9. amboss87

Oddometer:
    Looks great! What is it, where to buy?
  10. vfrpilot

Oddometer:
    I built it.

4" aluminum tubing supported on the top to the lower crash bar cross tube and on the bottom to the skid plate.
    amboss87 likes this.
  11. Iffykid

Iffykid Long timer

Oddometer:
    That looks great, In the past I have used the same idea using 3-4"PVC pipe and a sewer inspection plug functional but doesnt look near as good.
  12. amboss87

Oddometer:
    Any link for the raw Materials? I am not satified with my tooltube

By the way, this is a great spot for a shock adjusting wrench when you have an aftermarket one like my wilbers:
    20190205_183151.jpg
  13. vfrpilot

Oddometer:
    Raw materials? Here are a few pics

[​IMG]
    What you see here from left to right: Tool roll, 4" aluminum turbo intake tube, 1/8" x 1 1/2" flat bar, 3/4" alum flat bar, 4" domed alum tank end, 1" id alum tubing split in half, 1 1/4" hose clamps, protective heat blanket, and stainless zip ties. Not pictured is the 4" rubber/nylon tube cap.

after lots of mock-ups, measuring, cutting, welding, and fitting you end up with this goofy looking product

[​IMG]

The heat blanket is just a precaution because of the close proximity of the exhaust
    You can see just how close it is

[​IMG]

and additionally, I store a 4mm ball driver 12" long behind the left pannier rack for damping adjustments on the rear Touratech extreme shock

[​IMG]
    I believe that everything listed is either available on eBay or at your local hardware store
  14. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey JimsBeemer,

Question about your post.

So is the SW Motech tool box waterproof? Any gaskets under the lid?

Any issues with dirt getting into the lock?

Is that a Altrider skid plate on your F800GS?

Any details and photos showing how you mounted the SW Match tool box to skid plate?

Does SW Motech just make one size tool box? Just want to make sure.

Thanks.

Kam
  15. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Glad to help, and sorry for the delay in my response. I bought this tool box in prep for our epic trip which is now underway. We are currently in the mountains of Honduras and we have very limited internet connectivity here! If you are interested, we have a thread in the "Epic Trip" forum;
    Xplore2Gether - California to Ushuaia | Adventure Rider
    Also have website with same Xplore2Gether name but .net ending (forum rules do not allow direct posting of personal web site URL's)

As to your questions ...
    No it is not waterproof, no gasket. I put some silicon caulk on some of the seams, but I'd leave an escape route at the low point for the water that WILL get in. You definitely need to have the tools in something waterproof if you use this box.

Not so far. I think this is a very legitimate question, but we have ridden nearly 6,000 miles on this trip and so far that is not an issue. Not that much dirt though - maybe 200 miles total on dirt. I think you could make a patch out of duct tape to stick over it (or some such). But in any case, not an issue yet.

No - it is a Wunderlich skid plate.
    See attached photos at the end. I used existing holes in the Wunderlich skid plate. But if needed, adding holes to mount it would be very simple.
    As far as I know, only one size.

Parting thoughts: After over three months and nearly 6,000 miles, I'm happy enough with it. I think the design could be improved (waterproof, for instance) - but I found nothing else that was better. I did find a better design from this Canadian company that looked very interesting;

http://motooverland.com/index_files/Page2996.htm

Unfortunately, they appear to have gone out of business. I tried to contact them multiple times, unsuccessfully.

20181219_160610.jpg 20181219_160621.jpg 20181219_160632.jpg
    GF-kam likes this.
  16. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Many thanks JimsBeemer. I will be following your epic ride report. Thanks again.

Kam
  17. casf

casf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    still working on building my tool solution, but the best advice i got from a shop greybeard was to use an old inner tube to store your tools inside some of these tubular build-it-yourself solutions

cheap (usually free if you ask a small shop if they've gotten rid or something), waterproof if your tube isn't completely shredded, and they'll keep your tools from rattling around inside the tube

i weld one end shut with some heat, and roll or fold the other end over

---

vfrpilot that setup is super clean :thumb
    JimsBeemer likes this.