Which 1 ton truck?

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by gratefulJED, Jul 20, 2020.

1. gratefulJED

gratefulJED long strange tripper

Oddometer:
    I hope this is the right forum for this question. I also hope and am not inciting a war. I have only owned a Ford 7.3 but I need a new truck. 4 door 4x4 a must. Anyone with experience with all 3 modern day variants? My kid is saying duramax this cummins allison that. Where the hell is Toyota in all this? I don't need bells and whistles, shit i just celebrated my 60th in quarantine and couldn't even go out for a marg and relleno. I suppose the question comes down to best engine and drivetrain, but what do I know. Honest answers appreciated.
  2. OhBoy

OhBoy Got Out

Oddometer:
    Furst.
    Get another Ferd...
  3. gratefulJED

Oddometer:
    thas wat im tinkin
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  4. 77rs

77rs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Take a look around all the hotshot truckers use Cummins aka dodge.
  5. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why not get another ford this time with the 6.7.
    acesandeights likes this.
  6. boardrider247

boardrider247 Weekend Anarchist

Oddometer:
    Need more information.
    What are you using the truck for? How long will you be keeping it?

Personally my next truck for toting around a camper is going to be a Ford with the 6.2Lgas engine
  7. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    You can get a brand new Ford with a 7.3
    acesandeights likes this.
  8. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    Ford F350, XL, Crew Cab, 7.3L gas, 4x4, E-locker. Put good tires on it and go anywhere you'd ever want to take a truck that size. I know this isn't JM, but you'd have to be a moran to buy anything else. A moran.
  9. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you need a Diesel? Long box or short?
  10. Brokenhorse

Brokenhorse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All new diesel trucks have a major problem in common, that is the problematic and expensive emission systems.
    Very good idea to determine if you truly need diesel power and exhaust brake and are willing to pay to play.
  11. beemerkid

beemerkid Do you ADV

Oddometer:
    If I hadn't purchased a truck right before they came out of be talking a hard look at the Ford with the 7.3 gas. If you don't NEED diesel power these days, the emissions equipment is more trouble than it's worth. The 7.3 gas will be much more liveable on a daily basis and should tow most loads just fine.
    ca.gearhead and brgsprint like this.
  12. gmiguy

gmiguy You rode a what to where?

Oddometer:
    They're all excellent and ludicrously capable. Drive as many as possible and buy the one that is the best fit for you in terms of driving experience, ergonomics, seats, sightlines, and cupholders.

I also recommend reconsidering if your application requires a Diesel. If it does not (and most don't) then modern gasoline powertrains are very nearly as competent and less expense and hassle.
    Bridge Builder likes this.
  13. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you like the old 7.3 for the simplicity, the new 6.7 is completely different. Almost double the power. But there is so much crap going on a lot of people are just giving up on diesel these days. That 6.7 has 2 separate cooling systems, 2 different filler necks. And put the wrong juice in the wrong hole and it will be over $10k to fix.

The cummins is a great hot shot engine. Run them long, run them hard. Daily driver, not so great. GM, well the Duramax rivals the Ford in complexity.

Really what are you going to be doing with it? I have friends who are looking to get rid of the 6.7 diesel and just get the 7.3 gas. The fuel economy isn't that different (diesel fuel economy has dropped a lot since the 7.3 powerstroke days). You don't have the $10k diesel premium when you buy it. No DEF. No regen cycle. It's just a good old pushrod gas V8. Fuel economy is down slightly over diesel, but diesel prices are higher.
  14. h2o_snow

h2o_snow Water, snow & dirt too.

Oddometer:
    Good points.

Have a gas Ford and carry a pu camper. Also drive in mountains. Let torque sucks while towing.

Going diesel for the next rig (but not a DD).

Like the big Fords. Little - had 3 tacos in the prior life - super dependable.
  15. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    I'd probably go with the F250, but this... don't be a moran.
    DyrWolf, Bob and acesandeights like this.
  16. jersey jim

jersey jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Personally, I would take a serious look at the previously mentioned gas 7.3 in the F250/F350. Too much pain in the ass stuff to deal with on the modern diesels, unless you really really need diesel.
    ca.gearhead likes this.
  17. StittWall

StittWall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess a big question is do you want diesel or gas?
    I have a 2500 Chevrolet with 6.0 gas. I like it and it tows my camper well.
    If I had to buy again, I would look at the 6.6 gas chevy and the Ford 7.3 gas. But I am not a diesel buyer at this time.
  18. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aha... but the modern diesel exhaust brake... which is heaven sent... as is Cummins torque.
    Then the bad thing... gotta clean up the exhaust passage after 70K.
  19. gratefulJED

Oddometer:
    Thanks fellas, lots of good info. We I guess fell into the diesel koolaid vat. Truth be told, Ive heard that they need to be used regular or problems will arise. This truck will be kept for a loooong time, but used little comparatively speaking. Horses and hay mostly. I just don't know Chevy or Dodge. I suppose we will stick with Ford. Thank you all....
    ca.gearhead and larryboy like this.
  20. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    If someone is to stupid to put the def in the fuel or fuel in the def thier to stupid to own a truck in the first place, it's not rocket science. The new gas motors put out very respectable hp and torque numbers and when i had to buy a new truck last August I seriously considered getting one because it's not like I have to have diesel, but when I looked at the numbers side by side there was no way I could leave that much torque and horse power on the table whether I needed it or not. Oh and whoever said people aren't buying diesel isn't looking because I see a shit ton of them.
    Lord Explorer and nevermind like this.