Which 1 ton truck?

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by gratefulJED, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    yes I was just pointing out the diesel has twice as much torque which helps, also 20 more horses than the 7.3 and 70 more than the 6.2.
    1greenmachine likes this.
  2. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    Good stuff. I am due for a new truck and don’t need a 1 ton but a 3/4 ton would not hurt. I tow a lot at high altitudes and the turbo appeals to me. For years I wanted a Dodge/Cummins manual 4x4 but yeah the emissions red tape (even with a several year old truck) is a huge turnoff anymore. For family space I do like the Megacab.
  3. Kenbike

Kenbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2019 F350 4 x4 quad cab with 6.7 auto diesel.
    We regular go to our cabin 370 mile trip in Michigan pulling a loaded 2 horse trailer. Used a 3.5 F 150 before. It can make it on one tank at 14 mpg, has power and just foes nor feel maxed out pulling the trailer on the highway at 75 mph.
    We have a lot of heavy trucks at work, some with gas and some with diesel.
    The gas trucks or great for short trips in town but just run out of power with a load on the highway. Our diesel both Dodge and Fords have been great. We just don't have trouble with them and they much better power.
    My F550's are about 16,500 lbs on the scales setup with tools and parts and still drive effortlessly.
  4. oldschoolsdime92

oldschoolsdime92 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just my personal opinion. Your 7.3 is the last of the "Good diesels". Modern diesel emissions seem to make things far more complicated than they need to be. That being said, I have a gas gmc 2500HD for a company vehicle and a gas ford f250 for personal use. I feel the ford is a far superior truck. The 6.2 tows much better than the 6.0 IMO. The both trucks are base models. The interior is far more comfortable in the ford, as well as much more storage in random places. The ford rides slightly rougher but feels much more stable when loaded down and towing. I realize these are both 3/4 ton trucks, but I believe the same experiences would translate into the 1 ton category.
  5. gmiguy

gmiguy You rode a what to where?

Oddometer:
    I think his (needlessly pedantic) point was that technically ft*lb is a unit of energy; it would convert to Joules: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot-pound_(energy)

Whereas lb*ft is a unit of force and would convert to N*m: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound-foot_(torque)

They're fundamentally different units that measure different things, but confusingly have very similar names. Humanity is generally bad at units.

I'd submit that correcting people about this on casual internet conversations is rude and unhelpful; especially since it was clear from the context of your original post which one you intended and he didn't provide any further explanation for the correction.
    jefmad and Mountainhound like this.
  6. Import

Import Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still running a 2010 3500 ram...and it still impresses me how quickly it overtakes and how well it tows..335000kms and id still buy another one to replace it..this is the first Dodge I have owned...wouldn’t touch the gas ram...but the diesel is outstanding...imho..lol
  7. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    Here's my take, (I own a 2000 Ford F350 4x4 with a manual trans and the 7.3 all in a xtra cab, long bed)
    I use my one ton to haul a heavy camper, and when the camper is off to haul property management stuff.
    I don't drive it much, but when I do it's often hauling the camper around the western states and driving into the mountains.

I don't like diesels,
    The older ones are incredibly dirty engines and are also slow and use expensive fuel while costing an arm and a leg in maintenance and payload capacity all while costing more to purchase them.
    3 gallons of oil and a $40 oil filter every 5k miles along with $.55 per gallon diesel fuel tax totally wipes out the fuel economy boost you get.

The new tech diesels still cost a lot, still use expensive fuel and now you have to also add DEF fluid to them.
    And the emissions systems are problematic at best and felonious at worst.
    For the kind of driving I do, a diesel engine is just not worth the extra cost, drawbacks and headaches.

I don't like GM products, they needed a bailout because they were poorly managed, they refused to fix problems they knew about (and lied about) that cost lives.

I don't like FCA products because the reliability record of Fiat and Chrysler is terrible, add to that the design of their trucks is outdated and unattractive
    Toyota and the other manufactures do not make a one-ton pickup with an 8 foot bed that can haul a truck camper.

So I'm pretty much left with a Ford. I'm not crazy about Ford's either, but like politicians buying a pick-up seems to be like voting, it's a vote for the "least worst"

I suspect when it comes time to replace my current F350, I will be picking up a 5 year old or so used fleet truck, hopefully a foreman and managers truck that hasn't been banged around too much.
    I don't like all the new gizmos and things. I want remote door lock, power windows, AC, and cruise control on a chassis with an 8' box and an extended cab, (I don't want or need four normal doors)

However at this rate when it comes time to get a new truck I'm hoping that there is something else out there that would finally be better or at least less worst then the F350.
    Houstrom46 likes this.
  8. FlagRS

FlagRS Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer:
    Very happy with my 2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4X4 Crew Cab. In hindsight I should have bought a 3500 SRW for my towing application. In the last 28 months I have put on a light 36K miles, about half of that towing my 30’ 12K lb fifth wheel and the other half bumping around my little town. Initially I was concerned about using it around town as a daily driver, I had heard that short trip stop and go driving was not good for the diesel emission system. I haven’t had any issues with the system. It probably helps that I hitch up my trailer every couple of months and haul it around for a couple thousand miles. The RAM is extremely comfortable and has been problem free. I don’t have much full size truck experience but the performance of this truck has been impressive. I have towed my trailer across the country and up and down many Rocky Mountain passes. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another RAM.
  9. Adanac rider

Adanac rider Washed up Jack of all trades . Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you are keeping it for a long time your going to have to work on it eventually . On an inline 6 Cummins the exhaust is on the left and the fuel is on the right . Theres no belly of the beast to get to . They are as complex as the others but in my opinion the components are easier to access . My most recent Diesel was a 2015 Dodge SRW 3500 , no problems .
  10. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    On my third Cummins powered Ram/Dodge. What sold me was the Turbo Diesel Register club/website. Any and all problems have already been solved through that community... just like ADV Rider. Priceless.

Also, do a simple comparison of problems between the Cummins engines and the other home-brewed ones. The scales are not just tipped, they are crushed with problems on the Ford/Chev side.
    When I go to eastern Oregon ranch country, all you see dragging big loads around is Cummins powered Dodge/Rams.
    RoverGS and 1greenmachine like this.
  11. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the new 7.3 is going to be a really good engine and the aftermarket is going crazy trying to get upgrades out. That said the power these new diesels are putting out stock is just insane, the gassers can pull a load up a hill at speed but the diesel will keep accelerating.

On another site I used to visit the self appointed know it alls have declared diesel trucks dead but judging from the local ford dealer they sell diesels 2 to 1.
    acesandeights and Mountainhound like this.
  12. svtride

svtride Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get the Ford. If you opt for a diesel, get a 350 and benefit from a legal 1,500# GVWR bump for a few bucks more.
  13. Lafitte

Lafitte on the lake

Oddometer:
    Have one of these , towing one of these....
    [​IMG]
    with some of these onboard....
    [​IMG]
    2012 Ram 2500 CCLWB 6.7 Cummins
    Raceme tuner and deletes.
    Border to border , coast to coast.
    Don't think I will live long enough for a replacement.
    Carlo Muro likes this.
  14. Houstrom46

Houstrom46 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Look at what the the landscape crews, city maintenance or fleets are running and that would be a pretty good indicator I would think. I did some light research a few months ago for my own needs in the not too distant future. After looking at what's out there from the big 3, and reading through what owners say on the various RV and truck forums, I would currently go for a gasser myself. I don't tow often enough to where the difference of 450 ft/lbs vs 950 ft /lbs of torque is going to matter enough for me to justify the premium for the upfront cost (moderate concern), and the inevitable repairs to the fuel/emission system (major concern). I'm not sold on aluminum, so the Ford is out. I haven't warmed up to the new Chevy, so at this point it's not on my list. Up until the last few years I wouldn't have given Dodge (Ram) any consideration, but now it seems they are running about the same as GM & Ford as far as problems go. Not that RAM has necessarily gotten that much better, but more to the fact that everything has more electronics in order to squeezed out that last .01mpg, which means more possible points of failure. I would look at the GMC and Ram at this stage.

I initially considered a Tundra due to it's older technology and powerful (albiet thirsty) V8. I still might look at them if they are still around, but If they move to a smaller TT V8 like I've read, then absolutely not
  15. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    Be wary of looking at large fleet sales, since they often go for the cheapest quote not the best truck. not the best indicator of the best truck, but rather an indicator of the lowest priced fleet sales.
  16. nevermind

nevermind know when to fold 'em, know when to run

Oddometer:
    Personally have seen 20miles per gallon of diesel fuel in a 6.7L 10spd F250 super duty. It's reeedonkulus how efficient the behemoth can be....
  17. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    In many (most?) places diesel goes more per gallon than premium gasoline. You may be getting 20 MPG but burning expensive fuel to get it.
    I'll take a 70% efficient gas heater to heat my house in the winter over a 100% efficient electric strip heater to do the same, because gas is so much cheaper.
    Houstrom46 and Ausfahrt like this.
  18. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    So like most guys you bought it for the cummins and got stuck with the dodge around it.
    IADRTRIDER, HeavyMetal, sieg and 5 others like this.
  19. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    1greenmachine likes this.
  20. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    Yup!
    It's pretty false economy to by a diesel because it gets better fuel economy.
    Typically they cost around $10K more to buy new
    The fuel costs around 20-35% more expensive
    There is added DEF costs on the newer trucks
    Oil changes are much more expensive. (Gallons vs quarts)

On top of that, modern Emission systems are fraught with expensive breakdowns and needed repairs.

For us, even with our older 7.3, that we got a great deal on, it's slightly more expensive per mile to operate vs our gas truck.
    Or when compared to my dad's V10 duallie F350 of the same year otherwise same basic configuration (8' box, xtra cab)

Sure you might see a higher resale value when it comes time to sell the truck.
    But the vast majority of buyers are not buying diesel to save money. Even if they have convinced themselves they are.
    acesandeights likes this.