Which 950 to get? Seeking advice

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by Infracaninophile, May 16, 2006.

1. Infracaninophile

Infracaninophile Finding My Way..

Oddometer:
    Okay, I've finally decided I have to have a 950 this summer. I've been pretty close to doing the deal before but have not pulled the trigger.

My main ride is an 03 R1150GS Adventure which I plan on keeping and riding it for many years to come. The KTM will be it's stable mate.

Lately, there have been a bunch of 950's for sale in the Flea Market, and some local to me in Colorado as well.

I am currently considering the following:

In the running are:

#1 2004 Non-S. Fully Loaded. 2500 Miles. Color: Black. Has the normal
    extras that most folks put on (CF Guards, metal guards, tank bag). also has the Gobi tail box and a low-Gel seat in addition to the stocker. Has a Remus stainless exhaust. But no warranty and too late to buy an extended warranty. Had 600 mile service done but no TSB's have been done. Bike was purchased in 8/04. Asking Price: $10,500. This is a local bike for sale by a friend.

#2 2004.5 S Model. Color: Blue with GO Graphics. Located in Colorado Springs. (In the flea market here right now) 9239 Miles. Has Gobis, all TSB's completed, just serviced, one owner, and extended warranty till 5/08. Asking Price: $11,000 or best offer. Link: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138534 I am 6' tall with a 34" inseam and won't know until tomorrow when I'm scheduled to see the bike (and sit on it) if I will be able to reach the ground or not.

#3 2005.5 non-S. Color: Orange. Low miles: 5200 miles. Fully loaded with Gobi's and Gobi tail box, after market cans, Renazzo seat, yaddie yaddie. Asking Price: $10,500. Location: California, so have to budget $500-600 to fly to CAand ride it home. And, it's likely to be sold to a local before I can get it anyway. For sale in flea market. Likely selling price: $10.5K. Link: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138439

#4. Last Option: New 2006 from a Colorado dealer. Miles: 0. Color: Orange. Brand new bike for $12,300 + Tax (making it $13,200 OTD). This includes the
    Gobi bags, all TSB's, and a 1 year warranty that I can extend for 2 or 3 more years at the end. I would have to spend $750-1000 to add the CF guards, engine guards, tank bag, and a Renazzo seat. I can live w/o an aftermarket exhaust for the time being but would likely add a Wings or Akro later. So, $14,000 or so to do a brand new one.

#5. Wait till next spring and get a 990 FI bike. I like FI, but not sure I can wait.

I rode an 05 today but it had 28K miles on it and wasn't in the best of shape. They wanted $9K for the bike and I just felt a bike with that many miles may not be worth it.

So, I am looking for advice. What's the better deal?

- The 04 is a great deal if I can get it for $10K with all of the extras and the low miles. But no warranty and I'm sure it will need a bunch of TSB's done. Let's call this the $10K option.

- The 04 S with the GO graphics look stellar. It has < 10K miles and looks to be perfect. Just need to add a tank bag and I'm set. Not sure what the final price would be. Let's call this option $11K.

- A brand new 06. New, no miles, I can do all of the work myself. No TSB's. Full warranty that I can extend. Let's call this option $14K.

What say you?

Tom
  2. Flyingavanti

Flyingavanti With the Redhead on Back!

Oddometer:
    I don't know about the bike selection.... BUT your avatar needs more ORANGE in it for posting on the crush..... You are already as good as converted!

:D
  3. Infracaninophile

Oddometer:
    Now that I think about it more, I'm going to have to pay some sales taxes on ANY used bike I register here in Colorado. I may be able to (ahem) put a lower price on the title for the price paid than I actually paid, but I'm still going to have to pay taxes of at least $7-9K on any used bike like these. The MVA will snag me if I say I paid only like $5K for either bike.

So, I should add about $592 to the price of either of the used bikes to cover the 7.4% sales tax in colorado. This would be if I reported them as purchased for, say, $8000. If reported at $10K the tax would be $740.

When you register a bike, you have to pay the sales tax if you haven't already done so at the dealer.

This would make the

#1 Option: $10,000 (guessing on final negotiated price) + $592 = $10.6K.

#2 Option: $11,000 (not sure of final price) + $740 tax = $11.75K

#4 Option $12,300 + $910.20 = #13.210.20

To me, makes option #4 look even better.

The prices of the add on items appears to be as follows with a 10% discount. I think my salesman/dealer will give me 15% for the first 30 days.

- Tank Bag: $108
    - CF Tank Guards: $196.27
    - Metal crash guards: $283.15

Total: $601.xx + tax for the upgrades I need right up front. Plus 1st service in a week or so. Hmmmm. Love the Akros but the price is sky high. May go with Wings or Staintune.

Tom
  4. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    you're 6' tall and worried about the S ? :loco
  5. Infracaninophile

Oddometer:
    ???

I rode a 05 non-S today and I was on tip-toes in my riding boots. My understanding is that the 04 S was very tall. Why does my question rate your response? I said I have not yet sat on it. :confused :confused

My GS Adventure is pretty tall but I can deal with it.

Just asking for advice here....

T.
  6. Mike955i

Mike955i Future Escapee

Oddometer:
    Option #4, no decision necessary. Brand new, full warrantee, the knowledge that no one else has f%#k'd it up for <$3K; thats cheap peace of mind and a no brainer to me. Plus, Orange is best! :evil

Good luck, it's a great bike in any choice!
  7. Infracaninophile

Oddometer:
    Mike: Thanks for the input. I can get the new 06 in Black as well for the same price. I like black as well. Someone told me the black bikes are faster than the orange.... :lol3 :lol3

T.
  8. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somebody else in the same predicament as myself. Very interesting read.

I too have been quoted a similar price for a new 06' 'S' and am unsure what to do. Seems to me like they hold their money so well, it's worth getting a new one!! Also, if you buy a new one from that dealer, they will more than likely knock you 25% off all the extras you buy at the same time which makes it even more atractive to me!

$15K for a new 06' 'S' with Akras, CF guards, top box, KTM guards, bar risers and TT&L......Hmmmmmmmm

What we gonna do?!?!?
  9. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    I don't think the gs is going to see much more daylight just quietly...
  10. craft

craft Aventurero

Oddometer:
    Agreed...Something sweet about breaking in your own 950, your own way. Oh wait, the "orange is best" part, I don't agree with that.:huh
  11. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    Option #3 is sold as of this evening. Boy, that was a nice deal. And it was Orange......
  12. taco

taco Guest

[quote=Accumulate less, live more :huh
  13. Louge

Louge silence of the limbs

Oddometer:
    yellow house 25 miles NW of the white house
    Come clean Mouse, stop baiting the man :lol3
  14. Gordon Bennett

Gordon Bennett Just you wait

Oddometer:
    I've got a 950S '04 and get both feet down no problem with my 32" inseem. The bike is so balanced compared to a GS1150 (my previous) that one foot is all you ever need at stops anyway.
  15. Misery Goat

Oddometer:

My point is, if i can do it (04 S) anyone can, 5'10" (31" inseam) here. :wave

You'll be damn glad to have the S when you get offroad. :deal Remember, the 950 is alot lighter than the GS.
  16. Infracaninophile

Oddometer:
    Gracias!

Going over this morning to check out the 2004.5 S GO model.

Tom
  17. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    Tom,

I'd buy the bike with the most shit on it, and still qualifies for the warranty. I was convinced I needed the 05.5 bike, but after really looking into the differences, it isn't much.

Must haves IMHO:
    Crash Bars
    Renzaco Seat

Everything else is fluff.

I have the exact 04 GO!! bike you are going to look at. Bought it off an ADVer. I'm 5'11" and pretty stocky. It was too much for me, but MG proves it can be done. Honestly, I am just not very experinced off road, and it didn't give me a lot of confidence to learn. Get the S, if you can deal with the height, it is much better. If you decide you want it shorter, you can find the legions of willing swappers who will give their left nut to have the GO!! gear, or better, have it revalved and shortened at Precision Concepts.

I have no intention of my bike ever seeing the dealer, but I do have a warranty. If drastic measures call for it, I will send it in, I think with the issues these bikes have, it's a small price to pay for insurance.

Ant Ware posted the more you learn about the bike, the less intimidating the concerns are. Best advice I have gotten. I was nervous as all hell that the bike was going to break down every 5 minutes, but once you get to know it, it's usually a simple answer. Bike is a joy to work on, involved, but fun.

Buy the GO!!, best bike out there.
  18. Misery Goat

Oddometer:
    I would get this bike if the guy comes down to compensate for getting a renazcco seat and TT bash plate. 2 essentials for offroad.

The Go!! bikes are the best imo. (take off the stoopit Go stickers though :lol3 )

I have the 04 Gray converted to 04 S.

[​IMG]
  19. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just went through all of this and decided on the new option. BUT I did a new 2005 for 11,700 (they have one more:deal in Orange). That way you get to break it in how you like and it has the warranty. All the other stuff is nice but can be added in time.

Cheers.
    Marc
  20. HardCase

HardCase winter is coming

Oddometer:
    None of the options sound too bad to me. I'd probably tilt toward the new one, the extra $3K, while not a sum of money to sneeze at, is going to be made up to some extent by virtue of being able to make your own mods and have the bike from Day One, thus knowing it's history, plus it will theoretically be worth more should you ever decide to sell or trade due to being two years newer. But the other two sound good as well.

One comment on the '04S.....have you sat on it? The '04s are much higher than the current models in both versions, and the S from that year is a very very tall bike. I'm 6'2", have an '04 non-S, and it is about as tall as I would care to ride. Some guys like that, however. I'd just urge you to sit on and ride the thing before plunking down the coin on that one.