Which 950 to get? Seeking advice

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Infracaninophile, May 16, 2006.

1. Infracaninophile

Infracaninophile Finding My Way..

Oddometer:
    Well, I went over to sit on the 04 S this morning. The seller lives about 5 minutes away. :clap

I really expected it to be way too tall. It was fine. The seller also had the lower Gel seat (not sure of exact name) and it was even better. So, the height of the bike was not an issue to me.

The bike was in pristine shape, he had a few extras, had all of the original paperwork, all service records, good Gobi bags, and all of the stuff I expect to see in a top-notch used bike. The bike has had all TSB's done and had the paperwork to show it. It has also just had a major service at a good dealer and I read all of the receipts. Looked like a winner to me.

So I bought it. A deposit has been left and the bike to change hands shortly.

Thanks everyone here for your insights. Now I must say that the silver, black, and orange bikes are much slower. It is the BLUE bike that is fast.

T.
  2. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeehah! :thumb

I was gonna say that any of'em'd be better than none of'em.
  3. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    :nod

I'm still accumulating fundage for my Nine-fiddy. tick, tick, tick

M
  4. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    Damn straight Skippy.:evil
  5. BigBlue

BigBlue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Two weeks ago I chopped in my 1999 R1100GS, which has seen me round Europe three times without missing a beat, for a 2004 950 Adventure S in GO graphics blue and orange. It was fitted with Gobi's Akrapovic exhausts, crash bars fork guards etc. It had 7000 miles and cost £6000. I am 6'4" tall with 34" inside leg and have no problem getting both feet down.

Buy one now and forget the GS you will never want to take it out once you have the 950.

Happy riding:clap
  6. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:

GO ! :clap !:clap !:clap !:clap !:clap !:clap !:clap !:clap !:clap !:clap

Lets see some photos to make it all legit.

Leave it to the guy with the freak'n gray bike, to not like the GO!!!!!!!!!! :lol3
    [​IMG]
  7. Infracaninophile

Oddometer:
    Here's a picture of the bike pilfered from the seller's smugmug account. It truly looks this good in person. I am pleased!

[​IMG]

Tom
  8. HD

HD Neighborhood Threat

Oddometer:
    California Central Valley - Giant Sequoias
    Best option. I chose the same (2005.5 - $14,000.00 out the door - Orange). I had to sell our city home and move to the sticks to afford it (simple matter of priorities). Getting a new bike is like Christmas morning. Who wants used presents from Santa? I personally think the GO!!!!!!!!! is a little silly, but to each his own. The Blue and Orange "S" is very elegant and sophistacated looking when new, but looks cheap when the scratches start. Orange just looks tough with scars. I'm a little biased, but you won't regret getting the KTM. Break it in hard and set those rings where you ride! And post pics! :wave
  9. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    you did good 'phile, nice bike. :thumb
  10. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    Oh Come-on, You've got to have more to say than that. :D
  11. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    yeah, get rid of the :ymca Go!!! stickers. :lol3
  12. Mike955i

Mike955i Future Escapee

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new bike, it looks sweet! The clock is ticking on the GS....
  13. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    unlikely :evil but now he's made the leap he will work it out for himself!
  14. Infracaninophile

Oddometer:
    I really don't seem me only riding the 950. I put > 100K miles on my old GS and just love the feel of the boxer. It is definitely the bike I will use for long tours and such which I do a lot. Hving 108 litres of storage with the Jesse's, almost 400 mile gas range, etc.. is hard to live without. I think it will be apples and oranges.

It seems like the 950 will be more of a fun around town bike, forest service road bike, and the like. I personally don't see me taking it really far from home. It will satisfy my "need for speed" and more canyon carving. It's also likely to be my primary Mexico bike and such.

But, we'll see.

T.
  15. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    :rofl Thats more like it. Have fun ride'n your girly pearly bikey.
  16. Pete156

Pete156 I love to eat!

Oddometer:
    When you get this bike off road you will see how much better the entire package works than your BMW. In the right hands, this bike will run circles around the GS. Please take a pic of the huge grin on your face the moment you discover this. Or better yet, go run some fairly technical stuff after you get used to it. Then try the same stuff on the GS. Then call for help.
  17. Infracaninophile

Oddometer:
    Pete: I don't ride my GS Adventure off-road much at all. Some two-track or fire roads but that's it. I can see where the 950 would excel at stuff like this and perhaps even a bit rougher roads. I agree.

The 950 feels a lot like my old Ducati 900SS in the engine department. Just that fact alone has a smile on my face.

T.
  18. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    don't worry, every convert resists it initially but the orange side is too seductive!
  19. Huber Tuber

Huber Tuber Beer is good

Oddometer:
    BLACK!
  20. Pete156

Pete156 I love to eat!

Oddometer:
    BLUE!